Painting Another Helmet (Finished)

Don’t know if this is of interest to anyone but I’m about to paint another helmet and will post up pics as it progresses. I am only an amateur and do this for fun I am also not an artist so keep that in mind :grin: This will be the fourth helmet that I’ve painted. I am painting it for my son in law for when we go out for family practice days with my two Rotax max Top Karts. I usually have an idea in my head of what I want then just start roughly laying out tape on the actual helmet until it looks close to what I want (in the pics), then I take photo’s of that to use when I do the actual taping for paint. I will also attempt to draw it out at this stage so that I can see which color goes where. Hardest thing for me is determining which colors or areas to do first, it’s hard to get you head around the order in which to paint!

These motorcycle type helmets are a pain with all of the different contours and vents to deal with. Any input is appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

This is very interesting! I shall enjoy watching it take shape.

1 Like

Good on ya John. So you tape it out and then pull all the tape off and then tape it again? Why not just tear the helmet down and prep it and then just tape on the prepped helmet?

Also is that finish rubberized or traditional matte? Or have we discussed this before in PM?

1 Like

You are probably right I should just do the base coat which I usually do white then tape it! I just don’t always have a clear idea in my head until I start taping!

The finish is matte black, tomorrow I will sand it ready for the base.

1 Like

I did the color layout today, although some of the proportions aren’t exactly right it helps me understand better what sequence to do the various sections. There will be a random pattern in the metallic blue areas.

5 Likes

Do the plastic vent pieces on top of helmet pop out?

No they are glued in unfortunately.

Masked and base done. Now for the fun stuff!

3 Likes

Why do I suddenly have the urge to make the bottom one into a lamp? It looks cool, just like that.

Well I switched up the design because I was getting frustrated with all of the different contours and vents. Going with an old school look. White, three different oranges and black horizontal stripes.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what type of paint clear coat are you using for a helmet? I used to paint aircraft, so I’m curious.

1 Like

I use Createx water based for the color then clear coat with Spraymax 2k. Finish looks like this.

6 Likes

A few teaser pics, should finish the paint tomorrow. Clear next week.

2 Likes

Almost done!

7 Likes

Wow this looks amazing, really like the colors.

1 Like

This was the inspiration, Mika Hakkinen helmet.

1 Like

Well the helmet is more or less finished, just have to buff and polish when the clear is totally cured (a couple of days). I’m glad I changed the design I like how it turned out. Only issue really the first orange band was supposed to be much lighter, I added too much orange pearl to the platinum pearl :man_shrugging: Favorite part is the hot rod sparkle gold over the number 97’s, it looks better in person.

3 Likes

Nicely done! This is really pushing me to pull the trigger and get back to painting helmets. I just need another side gig/hobby like I need another hole in the head.

1 Like

Really lovely work. :100::checkered_flag::index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

Maybe it’s the 70s in me but I do love metal flake stuff.

How many hours of work? Why do I want to apply carnauba wax to it?

2 Likes

Thanks! Haha I also have too many hobbies, I race bicycles and motorcycles also buillt a couple of custom motorcycles and now getting back into karting :man_shrugging: