PFI closing complex - KartKraft

So everything I wrote could he simplified to this: look for the rubber. Every turn on this track has a rubbered up line. If you are in it, it’s pretty obvious. Your kart feels like it’s on rails. It’s basically a “power” line. You get on it and all the lifting etc goes away.

The last sector is challenging in that there is definitely a “right” way where you have the grip to huck yourself upwards just a bit faster. It’s pretty subtle but really fluid when you find it.

@Alan_Dove interesting to watch your stream. We are about the same place, track wise. Your final complex is better, however. You aren’t overdoing the approach and enter the first part consistently. Your voice is hard to hear over the game, FYI. Here’s my line currently without nailing the finish:

Yeah, my mic set up isn’t great and levels weren’t right, but I will adapt for the second stream. To be honest I didn’t really get any laps in that were decent because I was chatting so much. I am doing a proper stream on Saturday which will be 90% pure driving. Hopefully get closer to the wr then

What software do you use to stream?

obs studio is what I use

Maybe I’ll try streaming to see if the pressure of it helps focus.

going live in 50 minutes (hopefully no problems this time)

1 Like

I presume it’ll replay. I’ll take a look. Good luck! Wish me luck with my new buttkicker that’s mysterious and odd.

no improvement. too many mistakes. I think I’ll go without the ghost moving forward as it’s too easy just to bail on laps that you know aren’t recoverable

I have nothing yet either. I had to go to minimal mode to try and slow down. I was chasing the ghost into corners too often. I’m a bit frustrated in that I keep improving everything but what I need. That being said I am running very clean and consistent laps now (except final complex). I guess patience is required.

I am, however, really loving how bridge feels now. What a corner.

55.8s now. I changed to a CRG and messed about with setup. Feels much better than the sodi, though my optimum on the sodi is a 55.707.

World record is deffo possible now I reckon

1 Like

I feel like my pace is entirely held back by closing bit. It’s so frustrating not having sector times in vr. Can’t really tell wether changes work.

Doesn’t bailing on bad laps and rushing back to start make it hard to get a groove going?

Also, stream. stream seems to freeze often. Is the game running smoothly and it’s in the video only or is it pausing like that irl?

You’re right, but when you see a sh*tty split or make a mistake it’s hard not to bail.

However the thing that has helped is doing my own set up work. Just chasing times with someone else’s set up forces me into this kinda gun ho mode that isn’t particular productive. As soon as I started my won set up work i get a lot more consistent. Still some work to do, but I reckon a 55.4 is deffo possible, maybe a 55.2 with perfect set up and perfect driving

How do those lap times compare to what an X30 would normally run there Alan?

Louie Westover 2018 57.25 x30

A 57 dead in KK “feels” very fast. These 56s and below “feel” too fast. I think the grip is in some places extreme. I’ve never tried mg yellows though. Hear they are great tires.

If KK is running MG Yellow level grip then the equivalent pace would be a KGP on that lap record list which is a 55.7. An X30 on those tyres irl would be low 56s I would bet. So KK isn’t a millions miles off with regard to real pace. Komet K1H is what we run in X30 over here

An OK senior would be popping into the 54s. They were qualifying on a 55.1 (with ‘spec’ Vortexs). Fill blown OK and they’d be in the 54s, especially now.

What KK missed is the bumpiness of the first sector at PFi. irl i recall mainly just being in pain there

*I’ve never felt equivalent lap times from game to real life is te best measure for realism due to the ridiculous amount of variables.

1 Like

A bit of progress. Back to #1 USA. For now you are safe, Alan! At this rate it’ll be 3 months before I break 56.

Line through the last two corners (onto the straight) was perfect in that one.

Is it possible the world record holder is skipping the last section and hitting the straight at full speed (like Alan was doing to abandon laps).

Thanks. It’s gotten better but I’ll have a nikG worthy one for ya eventually. There’s a couple tenths easy. The bit that’s tricky is the opening act… the speed and angle into the bottom of the complex. So hard to find it.

I’m torn on the kart path trick. So far my laps aren’t assisted. I suspect that if I were to nail one with Kartpath, it’s gotta be at least a tenth or two. That’s an extra 3-4 mph for a long ass time from start to bridge.

Edit: just rewatched… there’s a brief throttle reduction on exit. Just a bit. Can be done with none. That’s an example of the turn being “half” right, I think. The angle up and in was such that it puts me in a slightly higher line than I’d like and have to slightly compensate. It’s better but still not right. I have felt it right and it’s one piece all the way through and you are more stable throughout.

Something about this stuck with me on the way home… I don’t know if it was you but someone also mentioned that there was no “slide”. Did you edit the post?

In any case, I think you just solved this for me. I never thought to question whether I could avoid any slip coming out onto final straight. Without getting boring about it, after experiencing the results from first session of the evening… THANK YOU!