Post a cool Pic of you in your Kart

Race%205

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a pic of my daughter 2 wheeling it at todayā€™s race.
She hit the curb, missed the next corner and drove across the grass to get back on the track and continue going.

2%20wheeling

5 Likes

Looking pretty relaxed in that kart for your first session!

Your legs and upper body look a bit scrunched in the kart the way you are sitting. Are you at the factory recommended seat numbers for seat position? Also, how low is the bottom of your seat relative to the frame?

2 Likes

Thanks Eric.

My seat bottom is just below the frame rails (~5mm). I donā€™t know what you mean about the factory seat numbers. The seat position was selected as it was the set of existing holes that put the seat back the furthest. I have thought often about trying to put it further back, but Iā€™m nervous to upset the balance.

Iā€™m 6ā€™4" for reference, do you think I need to give myself more space?

Liam,

Typically, chassis manufacturers have a set of ā€˜seat numbersā€™ they will assign for a seat in a particular chassis, that their testing or engineering has determined is on average the ideal initial seat setting. For a taller driver like you, these numbers may not only not be ideal, but physically impossible for you to fit in the kart!

Typically, these measurements include the overall seat height, distance from the axle centerline, and from the front of the chassis. There are several great diagrams online to illustrate where the measurements can be taken, some are also taken from the center of the spindle kingpin (or stub axle in your neck of the woods).

Either way, I tend to believe that within reason, if you arenā€™t at those values it isnā€™t the end of the world. Ultimately you may have to choose comfort and control over the seat setting numbers.

If the bottom of your seat is truly below the rails, especially starting out I would urge you to consider raising it. While super low is helpful with tall drivers, it will tear up the seat very quickly as you push your limits with off-track excursions, excessive curb scarring, etc. I would say a safer value would be the bottom of the seat at least halfway up the diameter of the frame to start.

Often, a taller driver has so much upper body mass that they not only cause chassis hike, but can actually cause the front outside tire to ā€˜rollā€™ over itself in the corners. All sorts of nasty chassis behavior can result from this, including hopping, premature chassis wear and fatigue, and in some cases bicycling of the kart.

While moving further back may not be the right solution for you, it certainly could be one to consider. With your legs as splayed as they are already, or rather your knees bent, increasing the angle of the rear of the seat (aka ā€œlaying it backā€) to resemble more of a reclined position could just make this problem worse. However, even trying a small change like this might give you a subtle hint of what changing the seat position drastically could mean for your kartā€™s handling or your comfort.

1 Like

42448724_10161017010115438_6909341488535044096_n

I thought this one was cool, from this weekend at Tri-Cities #126.
I won the final on Saturday, and was third on Sunday. So a good weekend for me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

IMG_2200

Cool photo from Iqbal Waryah our local trackside photographer.

7 Likes

FB_IMG_1537926209420
We put a Tillett in my kart from the NEK I normally run and I really tried to work on getting that inside rear to jack when I noticed I had so much more room to move my body suddenly.

1 Like

Got a little dogleg action going on there. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bit late to the whole kartpulse thing, but tj koyen makes me look so good that I find reasons to post pictures of me and my really good looking helmet

3 Likes

FB_IMG_1539107398113

I may have pushed a little hard going into turn one hereā€¦

3 Likes

Leading the Route 66 Sprint Series at Wolf Paving Raceway from a few weeks back. One of the funnest and most challenging races Iā€™ve been a part of!

4 Likes

This isnā€™t the wheel lift your dad was referring to was it? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aaron that looks like turn one of liberator at NJMP. I tend to overcook that too!

20181004_175302

Couple from Rock Island last month.

4 Likes

The most badass onboard video! That was a great battle.

1 Like

Link plzā€¦

Unfortunately Iā€™ve never been to NJMP, this is turn one at Springfield, IL.

@dcorcoran maybe, I dont know what heā€™s talking about half the time

1 Like
4 Likes

Hey look itā€™s me!

5 Likes