Post-Race Drama following the Norberg Invitational?

Who’s got the real scoop? Ramos gets the win after the top two get weight DQ’d? I missed some of the discussions before comments got deleted. :grimacing:

From what I understand they changed the weight from 355 to 360 halfway through the day and Sodi didn’t get the memo. Which is whatever, but apparently Sodi ran at the 355 weight all day and didn’t get penalized or bounced in any of the other sessions.

Watching clips and reading online it sounds like there was basically no officiating and it seemed like kind of a sh*tshow. The racecraft looked absolutely abhorrent.

1 Like

Yea, agree on the racecraft, but it’s pretty much what I expected.

“What would you do for 10k dollars?”

I’d punt Ryan.

2 Likes

Everyone punted everyone.

2 Likes

What in the what? That’s the first time I’ve heard of a mid event weight change.

How in the world did they let them podium? Why were they not DQed right after scaling?

1 Like

Seen it last year at TSRS. The scales were wrong during Friday practice and Day 1. Got em corrected for Day 2, leaving people to adjust for H3 and finals.

Ah, due to the scales. That makes a little more sense.

it was for $10k so it was expected.
If someone offered a price like that in South America it would be absolute carnage, I assure you

2 Likes

I made it through 2 heats and while it was hectic, it wasn’t (too) egregious, considering that it was a non-points event and that it was for $.

I will watch the last bit tonight so perhaps I missed the mega-carnage.

The variability of the track was interesting

From a kart chaser standpoint… was it a win from entertainment/views perspective? @XanderClements

Form Ryan’s standpoint? Was he content with how it panned out? Would he do it again?

1 Like

Big money definitely helps drivers turn their brains off.

OKC is also kind of a carnage track. Lots of opportunity to run people wide, do cross-overs, put people into barriers…

Ryan said next time he has a lot he would do different.

1 Like

For all that money on the line, I’ll say the racing was cleaner than I expected, at least in the front half of the field who were getting all the air time. Heat 1 was wild, but clean until the last lap. Garrison’s move was a little spicy, and I think ZCD saw that as an opportunity to “even the score” in the last turn.

I was entertained by the event. It’s cool to have that old school “run what you brung” kind of vibe with restricted chassis changes mid-race, and teams not being under their usual huge tents. I’m sure there were plenty of learnings and opportunities for improvement, but I want to see more stuff like this, Iame Grands, etc, where it’s not just the same cookie cutter shit. I think the “Pro Show” schedule that Stars is doing will also be a good departure from the norm.

7 Likes

I would be interested to hear how the opening acts went. The impression I got was that other than the invited pros, a bunch of up and comers were basically given the opportunity to qualify for the event… to race with (and presumably get murdered by, the pros).

For those folks, I am assuming there was some sort of multi-stage quali. That seemed like an interesting premise and may well have been exciting racing.

While this kind of turned into a pro-flex-fest, the impression I got initially was that it was supposed to be a fun event with a prize… qualify to race with the big boys and girls.

If I’m being honest, it looked like what is par for todays (unfortunate) course for this group of seniors.

Typically it’s a bit more respectful in my opinion. Miller’s “send it from three kart lengths back and sh*thouse myself and the other guy” was sad.

Nothing against him but he seems to do that near the end of every race no matter if it has money on the line.

the good ol’ all or nothing

Was this event not part of the license program that was introduced last year?

You mean the license program that was talked about and disappeared without a trace?

3 Likes