Pre-Race/Track Pump Up Jams

When I’m wrenching on practice day or between races it’s usually tribe called quest or something similar. Getting ready for the race it could be anything depending on the weather, starting position etc. But after leaving the pits its silence.

3 Likes

It’s weird cause music plays a big part in my life, I use it to set the tone for my day to start, I listen to different things depending on mood and what mood I want to move towards…but I never depend on it at the track for motivation to go kick butt. I’d much rather sit in silence and focus on the objective at hand which is completely out of character for me otherwise.

In general I listen to trace/ EDM / techno for my everyday vibe music. I listen to Latin pop / rageton as my second choice. From there I tend to gravitate to classic hip hop…my dog is named Biggie Smalls for a reason.

…but I start each and every day drinking my coffee and listening to Salsa, puts me in the mindset of drinking coffee somewhere tropical. Mid day work tunes tend to be classical Piano (I played classic piano for 10 years as a kid).

So in summary…I listen to weird shit but prefer nothing on race day unless it’s background noise.

I do watch top gun the night before every race day for motivation before I go to bed!!!

4 Likes

So basically Kenny Loggins is reverberating in your head while you’re gridding-up

3 Likes

And/or Steve Stevens & Harold Faltermeyer (Top Gun Anthem)…

I like the dichotomy of pump-up AND mellow-out tunes as they relate to driving because, for me, it reflects the polyrhythmic nature of driving. The crazy pace of sensory input and the frenetic ‘inner drive’ of chasing goals/perfection, which can happen at the same time as you are experiencing a mellow, or slow-mo, feel of of driving when things are going well.

So, my pump up would be something like Avenged Sevenfold - Cary On, especially for the insane solo.

And my mellow would be something like Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues for You

4 Likes

I’d say the closest thing I have to a race day music tradition is that when the family piles in the tow vehicle at 5am to make the 2hr trek to the track I play the latest podcast episode of Above and Beyond Group Therapy. It tends to be chill enough to let the family sleep, yet engaging enough for me to enjoy while driving. Now my kids know the podcast just by the first 2 seconds of the opening theme. In opposite fashion if I need a pick me up on the drive home I’ll blast the Pan Dulce life.

I tend to not use music at the track. Too much other noise going on anyway, but I definitely use it during workouts and when training - which is all for karting these days anyway. Like others here my music tastes are all over the board, but in my angsty youth I was a metal head. Pantera was my primary poison then so I get pretty pumped if you play Walk. If I’m going hard on workouts I’m typically listening to a White Zombie channel I have that’s the perfect mix of older metal, or a Prodigy mix for more aggressive EDM.

I think most modern rock/metal sucks….except Royal Blood. They’re the best thing to happen to that genre in decades. Here’s what I use from their catalog if I need some hype for a heavy (for me) lift.

3 Likes

Typically the entire Top Gun sound track.

5 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/xly7pj/some_unknown_music_genius_mixed_metallica_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Metal meets Macarena.

10/23 edit; Reddit died so here’s a new link

This is why the internet was created

1 Like
2 Likes

I have found you a livery:

Jamaican Karting Association:

I found the ideal karting song for time trial;

6.5 mins of beats. Just enough to get tires to temp and put down a flyer;

1 Like

Damn, this is groovy :fire:

1 Like

Just gonna leave this here:

Rock on Party Cannon. You have been granted honorary membership to Rebel Scum Racing.

3 Likes

I could use Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain, mid guitar riff AKA BBC F1 track…

LOL

A good one indeed!

3 Likes

Biiiig fan of metal bands with illegible names, courtesy of MySpace and high school.

2 Likes

You probably already know, but the bridge in this song (The bassline riff) was the intro to BBC’s F1 coverage in the 80’s and 90’s

I had no idea what it was until I was older of course, and then it got infinitely cooler.

(seemingly the naughties too)

2 Likes

Yup, that gets your attention.

“Didn’t need no stinkin’ liberty media”