Reliable, Cheap 100cc motor that's not a a KT100

(Xavier Claude) #1

Looking for a reliable 100cc motor that’s fast, reliable, cheap and wont break the bank.

Preferably not a kt100. Any suggestions are welcome!

(TJ Koyen) #2

The KA100 is a good answer. It’s become a pretty popular class within the last couple years, rebuild times are infrequent, clutch maintenance is basically zero, they’re reliable, parity between engines is great, they’re faster than a KT, and they’ve got on-board start so they are easy to jump in and go.

(James McMahon) #3

Do you have a budget in mind?

If it’s for practice/fun a well cared for HPV/KPV is hard to beat. I’m not sure what the going rate on these is used. (Update, I’ve seen a couple used for circa $300, however you will have to budget for a refresh)
They come in pipe configurations from HPV1 to HPV4 with 4 being the highest output and HPV3 being the most popular for adults and more reliable than the HPV4

The Vortex VLR, which is a about $1600 brand new and includes an onboard starter is a great deal too.

(Charles Kaneb) #4

I can sell you a Maxter MX-L 100 ICA for $800 including carb, mount, and pipe. Certainly reliable, very fast, burns a bunch of 100-octane fuel and castor oil - but oh, the sensations!

(James McMahon) #5

A post was split to a new topic: What’s a Typical Rebuild Period for the KPV HPV

(Davin Roberts Sturdivant) #6

Are you looking for a fun kart or a race kart?

(James McMahon) #7

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s a Typical Rebuild Period for the KPV HPV

(Xavier Claude) #8

One to bang around a local track. But still with race speed and performance.

(Xavier Claude) #9

One to bang around a local track. But still with race speed and performance.

(Bryan Williams ) #10

I’d go with a kpv. Can find fresh ones now around 400. Run a 3 pipe and keep the revs under 14k. Should last a while.

(Xavier Claude) #11

Where can I find a fresh one for around $400? Can you recommend a carb and pipe?

(Dom Callan) #12

That’s a fun engine. If I’m not mistaken that’s the engine I cut my teeth on at Jim Hall. They limit it to 13-14k I think and get about 80hrs between rebuilds iirc.

(Bryan Williams ) #13

Pm sent xaviar , check your inbox