Reliable, Cheap 100cc motor that's not a a KT100

Looking for a reliable 100cc motor that’s fast, reliable, cheap and wont break the bank.

Preferably not a kt100. Any suggestions are welcome!

The KA100 is a good answer. It’s become a pretty popular class within the last couple years, rebuild times are infrequent, clutch maintenance is basically zero, they’re reliable, parity between engines is great, they’re faster than a KT, and they’ve got on-board start so they are easy to jump in and go.

3 Likes

Do you have a budget in mind?

If it’s for practice/fun a well cared for HPV/KPV is hard to beat. I’m not sure what the going rate on these is used. (Update, I’ve seen a couple used for circa $300, however you will have to budget for a refresh)
They come in pipe configurations from HPV1 to HPV4 with 4 being the highest output and HPV3 being the most popular for adults and more reliable than the HPV4

The Vortex VLR, which is a about $1600 brand new and includes an onboard starter is a great deal too.

1 Like

I can sell you a Maxter MX-L 100 ICA for $800 including carb, mount, and pipe. Certainly reliable, very fast, burns a bunch of 100-octane fuel and castor oil - but oh, the sensations!

A post was split to a new topic: What’s a Typical Rebuild Period for the KPV HPV

Are you looking for a fun kart or a race kart?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s a Typical Rebuild Period for the KPV HPV

One to bang around a local track. But still with race speed and performance.

One to bang around a local track. But still with race speed and performance.

I’d go with a kpv. Can find fresh ones now around 400. Run a 3 pipe and keep the revs under 14k. Should last a while.

1 Like

Where can I find a fresh one for around $400? Can you recommend a carb and pipe?

That’s a fun engine. If I’m not mistaken that’s the engine I cut my teeth on at Jim Hall. They limit it to 13-14k I think and get about 80hrs between rebuilds iirc.

Pm sent xaviar , check your inbox

Cheap, fast, reliable; I can’t remember ever seeing all those adjectives in the same ad. “Won’t break the bank”… Whose bank? At most tracks, different engines run in different classes, depending on the engine, not always, but often. Just my opinion, but a trip to the track on race day (the track you plan on racing at) would be a good idea. Get some ideas on what engines run in what classes. It’s been about 10 years since there were any new HPVs.