Sim Racing 2024

He’s a couple years older than me. I remember when I was young, I was often inspired/discouraged watching a kid about the same age as me absolutely shred as I failed grind after grind at the local skatepark…

1 Like

Ryan Scheckler was a child prodigy, and one that came up via Red Bull pedigree. He skyrocketed to childhood fame within the skate industry, and had his own show on MTV in 2007-2009. He has caught some flack over the years for the cushy lifestyle that came along with his early fame, but make no mistake about him- the dude can lay down some heavy shit. I need to rewatch the LIFER part, but I remember it being good.

Here’s one of his iconic gaps, which he originally did 8 or 9 years ago:

2 Likes

Aha, I bailed in 99 so he’s a bit past my time of paying attention. He’s amazing and reminds me a bit of Jamie Thomas and the gang. It has vibes of another skater from much earlier that pushed the envelope hard, got so broken, put pushed it to new limits. I can’t remember the name but I do recall a dumpster grind that hurt.

Oh jeez, flat ground landing. My knees hurt for him.

For a price… one can now roleplay being Lewis:

If anyone is in the gt car market, RENNSPORT is pretty solid and free. Physics feel decent but wheel setup isn’t intuitive at all, they have setup tips on the discord though which work pretty well.

1 Like

Hey guys what programs do u guys recommend for karting? Kartkraft or what?

Kartkraft seems to be the most polished, but I couldn’t for the life of me get triple monitors working. There were some 3rd party tricks, but it was too much of a hassle (I consider myself pretty savvy with IT stuff). Required a restart or tweaking nvidia setting which was throw off my iRacing stuff.

Some buddies tried Karting Racing Pro and seemed to like it. Sounds like there is decent mod support.

1 Like

Try them all and see what you like best is my thought. There doesn’t seem to be much of a consensus.

Much as I adore KK I simply cannot recommend abandoware.

Modded KRP is probably the way to go.

2 Likes

Perhaps a big deal. Iirc the graphics were getting a bit tired.

Significant development continues on the creation of a new iRacing graphics/rendering engine. The DX12 prototype I mentioned last time is now loading tracks, cars, and textures. A .gif is included that shows this progress. It looks simple visually, and there’s not yet any lighting or shading, but looks can be deceiving and it’s a significant step forward for the new engine. We are thrilled with the progress the team has made.

I still don’t understand why they wouldn’t go Unreal Engine 5. Going full in-house engine is extremely ambitious

1 Like

Nothing too crazy but made it in the top 5% of all iRacers based on iRating. Not bad considering I haven’t really had a chance to hit it hard at all this year. On a push to catch my teammates that sit around the high 4000s to low 6000s.

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive. It ain’t easy getting there so well earned congrats!

Thanks about to hit 4K tonight! It has been my short-term goal to participate in a high-end Endurance league. You need the 4K to run prototype cars.

1 Like

Id resist the urge to hop into any Miata races if I were you… good luck with the elite series!

I’ve just been smashing out a Ferrari GT3 series that always has rain. I tend to just dominate every race.

Mission accomplished. Over the 4K bump.

1 Like