Sim Racing Megatopic

2 Likes

@speedcraft
Warren, change of plans. We aren’t going back to school and racing Formula Student, as tuition is unaffordable on our club racing budget.

Don’t despair, however, as I have found us an affordable form of racing that will push us to the limit:

Is the chassis an aluminum ladder? I think it is.

@Bimodal_Rocket
Sorry, I like weird, but I draw the line at driving in straight lines. :grin:

I shall continue to search for an appropriate form of racing that best showcases your unique talents which includes turning (not just left, either).

Which is most enjoyable?

• Lateral Gs
  • Longitudinal Gs

0 voters

Write in candidate:
:heavy_check_mark: The transitions between Longitudinal and Lateral Gs :wink:

1 Like

Ooooh so subtle. I see now that you are truly the Sensei.

Sadly, the poll is not editable after 5 mins.

Saw this on Reddit. It’s a Japanese version of a challenge style rig but a little beefier:

Luckily the poll allowed me to vote for both :joy:

1 Like

I’m guessing since you have front brakes you have greater appreciation of the longitudinal. I certainly can see it from KZ in kartkraft. Braking is much more interesting with front rotors.

Change of plans Warren, we aren’t going agricultural drag racing in Thailand. Instead I need you to prepare for the annual spousal drift trike battle. This is bigger deal than supernats, I am told.

@Muskabeatz do you shift with dominant or non (kart)?

I shift with my dominant hand. Just thinking about shifting with my left arm makes me cringe lol

Also regarding the longitudinal g’s, definitely applies to braking, but also to have more HP on tap with the throttle pedal :sunglasses:

Hmmm. Was pondering this since I abuse dualclutch gearbox mechanics whenever possible. (The game mechanics, I mean, not the innocent engineers).

You’d think having dominant arm devoted to shifting is a misappropriation of resources. Why is it so?

For some reason dominant arm for shifting feels right to me. Maybe it’s a dexterity thing? Ultimately the shift lever works best on the same side as the engine, so you kind of get what you get.

I mean it is what it is. I’d have thought with the very direct nature of the kart rack, you’d want most leverage on wheel. However, I drive one handed from time to time and it certainly is doable to drive left arm only. I’ll have to try to manually shift KZ in game sometime.

Usually we’re not turning and shifting at the same time, so that helps keep the load manageable.

1 Like

It feels pretty realistic in all honesty, the clutch isn’t needed to shift in real life so that’s a bit of a difference, the rear end also feels slightly more on-off but that could also be my unfamiliarity with Sim racing.

Are you gonna irace it?