Sim Racing Megatopic

@tankyx

Is the 4070 a buy now or still too expensive?

At MSRP it is decent, but buying it would mean that you support their horrendous business practices

1 Like

But we only have the choice of the lesser of two evils.

Rage quit

The very big grid

Screenie: Ethan Oring

That looks like 50+ cars. I wonder how many fps he was getting.

A beautiful pile up

Sim lapping vs IRL

Was thinking about laptimes and sim versus irl racing. Specifically was thinking about how Time Trial is viable in Sim but not really irl.

When I go to sim, it’s always exactly the same. The kart and track are constants. There is zero variation, ever. It is therefore easy to get attuned to the track and the kart. Once you have figured out what you want to be doing, it’s just a matter of execution and it does not change session to session.

Irl is totally different. For one, you simply don’t have access to the track such that chasing a record time is even viable. I bet even Ryan Norberg doesn’t have the ability to go run a couple hundred laps a day on the same track, every day, until mission accomplished. You gotta get there and back, do your thing, burn through many sets of tires, etc. it’s just too damn expensive and time consuming, I bet.

Secondly, the track is hugely different session to session irl. Weather, rubber, etc varies so hugely that comparing laptimes is kind of pointless. In my case, with rental racing, you have the further element of kart health relative to the other rentals, which is also pretty drastic. Some karts are faster than others, basically.

Racing laptimes can also be faster than TT laptimes simply because of draft. Entering t1 at NJMP with no draft is 49-50 mph, whereas in a draft train the peak speed is 51-52 mph, for example. So, over the course of a lap where two fast folks are racing, it’s very possible to see purple laptimes as the two karts become more efficient together. When I go racing, I am acutely aware of laptimes but I’m really looking at them from a relative perspective. If it’s a 43s day according to field results, that’s what matters, how I fall into that range. Too many variables to chase fastest lap and if I was in the kart that was fastest, I know it’s because I have the “hot” kart so it doesn’t really count anyways (karmically, but I’ll take the trophy thanks).

I guess what I’m saying is that I totally enjoy TT in sim but just don’t see the point IRL. I could see a competition IRL, however. It would have to be a weekend format similar to a race, with rules. But, it’s unlikely to me that they’d be able to set an ultimate all time fastest lap in that particular window. Maybe like a hillclimb competition. Anyone here done any Time Trial stuff IRL?

Just a karting shower thought. (TLDR Dom makes excuses for not being faster than everyone).

Also: anyone think a karting “shower thoughts” thread might have some mileage? A thread where random karting observations that don’t fit anywhere else would go?

1 Like

Another karting shower thought:

Why is the rear track wider? Presumably to put more grip down but why isn’t this the case with all vehicles? If I’m not mistaken, the rears on my car are wider than the front, but that’s because it’s got big power, relatively, being a sportscar. My suv doesn’t. Dirt oval racers seem to take this even further with their staggered setups, one tire often appears much longer than the other three.

Most consumer cars are FWD and all the weight is on the nose and outright handling isn’t the main concern or priority.

A kart has the driver over the rear axle, is RWD, and requires massive front end geometry to corner. Lots of forces to overcome to have good traction and rear stability. Most road racing cars are also RWD with big power.

So despite your typical single gear kart being unable to spin the rears in anger (shifters excluded) they still need the extra grip of the wider rears?

You still need lateral grip even if you can’t spin the tires with the engine power. But we’re talking about comparing a kart to a car so the track width affects different things for both.

Driving a kart in extreme wet conditions with super narrow rear track and super wide front track you definitely feel the unusual sensation that produces.

1 Like

Aha the lateral grip makes sense to me and explains whey the one dirt tire looks like a banana. That’s the wheel that doesn’t lift, I would guess. Its girth allows the rear to stay stuck with all the load midcorner on it.

Big wheel:

Just to muddy the waters a bit…

The logos are awfully similar (but different enough that there’s no confusion imho).

Ok so Linus makes a video explaining that it’s pretty good but it’s only a value if compared to its siblings that are terrible values.

“A paddle to the ass is better than a slap to the face.”

Ya don’t say… :popcorn:

lol how unexpected …

I think KC and KC collaborated on that logo. They’ve done a lot of other stuff too :facepunch:

1 Like

Let’s discuss Elias’s unexpectedly cool car.

What is this with a Hurst shifter and a red button that looks like it might be for nos or something?

My other enduro teammate here seen sim racing:
Smol Andre does an apex

2 Likes

Oh this rings bells. Phoebe Cates and her pool scene defines the 80s.