Simracing Thread - 2020 Stay-at-Home Edition

Sounds good to me.
Didn’t realize (or I forgot) that you’re a CES racer by the way.

Is there any way to convert a ps4 to Xbox one? Specifically the t300rs

Normally not, because software and licensing.
Just find one that matches your platform.

I’d think not, the XB games would not recognize the the TS wheel base.

Have you watched the wheel review Davin posted? It’s post 19, that might help out with your price point and in your shopping for a used unit.

Yes, in the late 90’s I converted my PCR Eagle to sprint enduro and ran CES until 2006. Then picked up a TaG, ran it for a couple years. Took 13 years off, and now I’m running an Invader chassis that was part of our Tecumseh Motorsports team at RA motorplex. Still run CES with the sprint enduro, and I’ve got the TaG setup rebuilt to run at RA and CES also.
Keeps me off the streets…lol

Does anyone take pictures of their cars in photo mode?

Hmm that’s pretty. F1 games have very nice graphics.

Makes me wonder if I can take a photo of a car after a tough rally stage Dirt Rally2. I’ve hammered some cars and laughed about the condition they were in after a grueling stage…

I bought a G920 for about $250USD. And a dodgy wheel stand (I say dodgy because the parts and instructions did not match real life stand) for about 80USD strapped to an existing ikea chair right up against my TV. All from Amazon (except the chair). Amazon also had 5 payments interest free as an option.

One thing with the G920 is it has a rubber spacer in the brake to supposedly simulate a loadcell but it makes the brake pedal horrific. You can get round it by swapping the brake and clutch in some games or by modifying the deadzones on the brake or by modifying the brake itself (taking out the rubber spacer and/or putting in an aftermarket spring). I swapped the brake and clutch but at some point i’m going to swap the spring and take out the rubber spacer. Apparently this isn’t a problem with every unit.

1 Like

After one week with those pedals I gave up and decided to go for Fanatec load cell pedals. Muuuuuch better.

As far as a building a rig, there are some pretty cheap and creative solutions out there @E13 . Go on the iRacing subreddit and you’ll see all manner of Ikea end tables, desk chairs, and other cheap ideas to try out.

2 Likes

You can get load cell mods for the g920 as well as load cell “like” mods. I might do one of those, I don’t feel like I’ll get away with fanatec just yet (wifey issues).

How does a loadcell feel, is it similar to a race car? I don’t want to tire my leg out which is what would happen using the G920 rubber.

1 Like

There is a good part to potentiometer pedals. If you “know” how far to press the pedal, it’s consistent.

That being said, loadcell is the way to go.

I think there might be some aftermarket solutions for loadcell for those pedals.

Better bet would be to just buy the normal fanatec that come with loadcell. Also, they are nice and heavy and with the proper wheelstand, stable.

1 Like

Am i made of money :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well you posted that sexy new rig…:stuck_out_tongue:

You should explore VR minecraft. I hear it’s a game changer. Would also be amusing to see your own child freak out.

Don’t get me started on Half-Life: Alyx

1 Like

That sexy new rig is only $299!
I need a bigger house first.

Pedals are maybe 200-300 new! Tell your kids to go sleep in a van down by the river to save on rent.

This is the problem with sim. It’s a rabbit hole.

1 Like

Ok ok, I’m also cheap.

1 Like

We were literally talking about this today. I need to get a hand controller (I think we can use Xbox controller though). The headset I got was a standalone headset because racing sims > other games.

The other thing is that the PC to run this is acting as a server some some things right now… so I need to move those services off and physically move the computer out of the closet before any hardcore simming happens.