SKUSA SuperNationals 26 - TJ Driver Diary

The chassis was totaled, we are assembling a new chassis for tomorrow. The yoke was kinked, no way to save it. Tie rod, spindle, steering shaft, bumper, brake pedal, king pin… shame as we were finally making headway on the setup.

I thought the other driver saw me and I wasn’t expecting him to drive down to the barrier, as that wasn’t really the line most were running. Tried to back out at the last minute but couldn’t get out.

Another partial consequence of the goofy straight with four kinks in it.

We will roll DFL for all heats.

3 Likes

Well at least you’re not injured I guess (or at least I assume)

I edited your opening post to add a photo for a FB featured image, hope the image I picked is OK/
Had a hell of a time finding the “right” website and FB page for Bestkart though. If you get time let me know whats correct. There seems to be almost ten bestkart FB pages :open_mouth:

That sucks. However, it is kind of fun making your way through the back markers (although nats is savage).

Is there a golden lining? good data/learning to be had for the development bit from this misfortune?

Wasn’t turn one changed to be safer?! how many guys are going to destroy the front end into the barriers? This is crazy to watch

That looks like a boss move to me! There’s commitment, then there’s this:

Oh the shame. Manhandling our national treasure.

Seeing this same type of incident happen with more drivers, Hodgson/Terlecki most notably, reinforces that this part of the track design into T1 is maybe not the best. I like the idea on paper of a kink into the braking zone as it adds an element of difficulty, but those poor barriers into T1 are getting a workout.

1 Like

It’s amazing how much damage those plastic barriers can do on a kart if they hook a wheel.

1 Like

I’d be there, I’m only a three hour drive away!

Oh so many wrecks into T1. Almost every session in the early group had 1 or more on opening laps. Curious what the second half will look like with X30 and shifters?

This wasn’t even turn one, it was halfway down the straight in the other kink.

There is no silver lining, we are now on a totally different chassis starting from scratch, and though normally I would agree that coming through the field is fun, trying to pass 40 karts at this event is not fun, it’s stressful as can be. The risk of not making the final is very high now. We need to be clean and super aggressive which is obviously a tough ask.

Bummer I’m sure everyone is going to be elbows out fighting for every position regardless.
Here’s to hoping the new chassis was welded by the same guy on he same day and feels the same.

Oof. I’m sorry it went that way. Hopefully you get some offsetting good luck as well.

Wonder if one could pay a few drivers to, say… clear a path for you. :laughing:

Let’s get TJ an enforcer, like in hockey.

I’ll wrap my knuckles in foil for TJ.

blade-use

The new chassis is a completely different model, so we start from square one on setup.

Might be better, positive thoughts.

At least you’re in good company with Hodgson back there too.

3 Likes

The don’t have a second chassis? Oof. That sucks bad.

They do, but Adakonis is running that one. Only had room for two of each model.