SKUSA SuperNationals 26 - TJ Driver Diary

Ah gotcha. Bigger and/or smaller tubes I’m guessing between the models. Good luck nothing to lose at this point.

Good luck, TJ. Just gonna leave this here since you mentioned it comes in handy when you need to let it rip. :skull_and_crossbones::checkered_flag:

2 Likes

I would normally say its a big ask to move up a bunch of spots, but honestly starting at the back might be a blessing. Might as well just hang back a tiny bit for the start and just watch the pileup unfold XD

@tjkoyen I’m sure you could use a bit of positivity - if it helps, you were always the driver I looked up to when I was younger, and you’re an inspiration still, albeit in a different way. I remember thinking after seeing your qualifying times “damn, that is f**kin fast” :smiley: I said it earlier and I’ll say it again - you have excellent racecraft and I have the utmost confidence that you’ll do well. Full send!!

4 Likes

Really kind of you to say David, thanks.

I plan on giving plenty of space into turn one and then picking up the scraps from the inevitable chaos. The big concern is how this chassis will work.

1 Like

Good luck TJ! Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences and insights for these events. It’s really helpful in learning what goes on at these races and how to tune the kart and adapt your driving style based on track conditions/layout.

1 Like

Of course.

I haven’t given much detail on setup but I’ll give a quick rundown…
We were needing front grip on chassis 1, so we tried the bar, but it made the kart too snappy at apex without really helping turn-in. Raised rear rise height and that started working a bit better. We also moved weight forward and toed it out a bit more. All going in the right direction so we were going to move the seat forward before the crash.

But this new kart is 32mm instead of 30/32 so we aren’t really sure how well it is suited to KA and hard tires. But this track is unique and very low grip so there might be some value in the stiffer kart. We will know tomorrow.

5 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/100063610565330/posts/842088861254792/?mibextid=3JLxgoXK8XkhKqoE

RIP Bestkart

That was am ominous prediction.

2 Likes

Sounds like a lot of carnage going on in Vegas. Buyer beware for lightly used karts that will be for sale soon.

Just curious TJ, at this level do drivers have face to face (nice) or fist to face (not nice) conversations after an on track incident such as yours?

4 Likes

:grimacing:

1 Like

I saw TJ and the other driver exchange the most civil point of views on instagram last night. It was so polite and civil that I was confused.

I would expect nothing less of someone with the experience, maturity, and class that TJ always shows. Nothing but 100% professional.

5 Likes

Of course it’s the masters guys fighting… us old guys are kinda dumb.

The epitome of Supernats angst…Tag Sr. LCQ under the lights: a shit sandwich waiting to happen. You know you’re racing with children when the guy throws one fist and then goes straight into slap mode :rofl:

2 Likes

I went to a kart race and a hockey game broke out… well except most hockey players can actually throw a punch. :joy:

Lol…those guys were one step away from a tickle fight.

Again…this time with feewing

Oh it’s been a while since I’ve seen that movie! Nice one. (Kentucky Fried Movie, ?)

1 Like

I mean, I was right, wasn’t I? TJ even got a few replays!

3 Likes

My money is on the fatter dude sitting on the other guys face and letting one rip. But helmets blunt the effect of close quarters gas.

Presumably Tom K ejected these guys? This is dangerous for his crew. Hot track.

Imagine being sent home after spending 10-15k cos you couldn’t keep your calm. (Memo to self).

1 Like

The TaG Senior kid got banned I think. No tolerance for fighting.