Starting a 3D printing Karting business

Maybe you said it, but what printer are you rocking?

Prusa MK3S+. Got it as a kit because why not? Already have 7D9H20M of print time and only had to tighten the X belt.

Nice! I’ve been thinking of getting another FDM printer. Mine met its demise on the move from NC to AZ. Let me do some digging, but you can have the model I made for the OTK chain guard hex nuts. Keeps the dumb OTK nuts from spinning and stripping over time. Maybe just send me a blemish one sometime. :wink:

Cool! Send me a DM with the file and I can get something out for you.

Water tube hooks, fuel pipe holders, go pro mounting accessories, steering column supports.

Lots of thing you could do.

1 Like

Here’s a couple of ideas. In the end I couldn’t justify the time to make and market the stuff.

Can I make a suggestion as well. For the x30 covers. Make a package. So you can add one item to a kart. As a shopper if I need both things. Adding two separate items is an annoyance.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas both of you!

I can definitely do something like that. I still have a good amount of fine tuning to do on the website side of things to get it how I want it.

Wildkart makes a steering column support with a centering stake pin.

1 Like

Have to say I like the idea of a 3d printed one steering lock…
Easier for the driver to snap if it’s not removed prior to flight…

2 Likes

Here’s one I thought I’d do but I can’t find the time to do it. Its a front clip for the side pod frame for the OTK chassis. Replaces the plastic sleeve and plastic pin. Below is a rough sketch of the concept. The one thing I’d add is a tab to pull it off. It would take some playing with materials and thickness to get it right but it’s a part that can’t be machined easily and even plastic injection might be difficult. The problem with a good idea, not saying this good, but if its good OTK will just start making the part.

If you can fork over a few extra $$$ bills than I’d go with either an SLS or SLA printer. Generally much stronger parts, more consistent material properties (tension in the z axis tends to be closer) and also has a more finished look. They do require a little more work though, and some SLA resins can be smelly

SLA does produce superior parts, but the post processing is somewhat prohibitive, value depending. I suppose a resin pin would suffice, though the WK aluminum block + steel pin combo makes it strong enough to also be useful for loading/unloading duties.

I do have an Elegoo Mars Pro for SLA stuff. Sometimes it’s nice to just hit print and peel the part off when done. I built my own cleaning and UV cure oven which makes processing SLA prints easier. Other issue is the resin system stinks to high heaven and I’m pretty allergic to it :confused:

Saw these this AM

Seemed pretty cool and probably useful to some.

1 Like

I think it could Definitely be shrunk and more compact if you used a small laser like a bore sight laser used in gun barrels to sight in a scope or sights.

Those would be interesting. I’m not sure how much of a market there will be for them since most people just toss an M6 bolt in there.

That’s a cool idea. I’ve always just shined a flashlight through a ~30mm spacer to get it lined up. Which basically does the same thing. Though that system is probably more accurate.

I like that seat laser. I could use one of those as I always seem to have one seat hole I have to wallow out to get things mounted. Haha

I saw a 3d printed piece somewhere for adjusting the caster camber kit. Might have been for parolin style kit but theres no reason you couldn’t design one for each chassis brand.

Edit: found it.

A friend made one of those already and they’re super helpful when it comes to making changes. I want to make one for KR and for OTK.

1 Like