Tested out The Cambox Meca camera yesterday... Brilliant for driving analysis!

Ah, I was not aware that the earlier models did not have a preview screen.

I’m interested in that as well since I struggle with getting decent video. The rattling from the case as well as the fairing made my videos from the Corkscrew Nationals sound like poo. Trueracer did a video about his camera locations but even taking his advice my videos still look like an epileptic mess.

Dom. I don’t have a screen on the back of mine as I still have the Hero 3+. It’s a necessary evil if you want to get rid of wind noise. I’m shocked more karters don’t use them.

I think it would have to come down to external mic with a wind protector and maybe a shock mount. Then trying different positions. Maybe behind the seat or something.

They do make a mic adapter and there are a bunch of external mics of varying quality and expense. Apparently external mics make a huge diff. The hero 5 and 6 complicate things in that there’s all sorts of compatibility issues with mics and a new proprietary mic adapter which is, surprise, surprise, pricey. Hero 4 and 3 are apparently no prob.

Before you go out and buy one of these CamBox cameras, I would hold out. I was told by tech yesterday that SFI is specifically not approving the at the moment because of the “risk of them falling off inside the helmet and obscuring vision”.

Apparently they are currently not legal in NASCAR and some other major series. I’m being allowed to run it this weekend but there may be a rule coming to ban them.

1 Like

NKA made a ruling today that would prevent this camera from being legal for competition. Read the text in red.

Wah wah wahhhhhh. I didn’t even throw mine on this weekend.

Yeah I think we knew a ban was coming, at least in the short term.

Maybe something can be worked out longer term.

This verbiage in the WKA July Board Meeting minutes points to a problem there also:

Motion by D. Cole to change 212.6.1 and 262.12 to: “Cameras may only be mounted on drivers fairing under the number > panel, top of radiator, left side chassis mounted bracket. Top of camera cannot exceed 26” from ground.

1 Like

I think there is more danger posed by the gopro’s falling off a kart and bouncing into a driver’s visor than there is from this cambox camera causing any problems inside the helmet. Are they going to ban people from wearing glasses next!?

2 Likes

I understand cameras can be a danger on the helmet - i don’t 100% understand why, though.

However, cameras should be treated like anything else which is affixed to the kart which could fall off - if it’s a real worry, require bolts and a secondary tethering mechanism - safety wire, a string tied to the case and the kart elsewhere, etc. etc.

Bringing up an old topic but i found a video i made long ago… I wanted a camera where I could see the steering wheel and since go pro mounting on the helmet or the Cambox are against the rules, i thought i would try something that i saw on amazon… A pair of sunglasses with a camera… They were super cheap, so i figured if the glasses dint work… no harm… I was surprised by the video quality for being so cheap and unfortunately there was no sound, but what do you think…
(Edit: if an admin could embed that video to this post, that be great!, i haven’t figured that out yet :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Not bad at all! And a rare, nice quality on-board of USAIR. Too bad there’s no sound.

Done.

You just post the link and it does the rest.
I miss USAIR.

Quality is definitely good enough for analyzing driving. Frame rate seems maybe a bit low, but that’s to be expected.

How much were the sunglasses?

The cambox camera is great. Love ours.

Thats nice footage and a great looking track!

Every once in a while my audio doesnt record. Its easy to put music and voice over if so inclined in the future.

This track looks amazing!

Best track in the country in my opinion. Shame it’s in the middle of nowhere and never gets used anymore.

It has everything; it’s wide, flowing, smooth, great curbs, passing opportunities in almost every corner, insane elevation changes…

1 Like

It first looked like Virginia International Raceway to me, only shrunken down, or Lime Rock Park - places I’ve only seen in magazines or on driving games. Amazing. I’d love to race at a kart track like that. Does anyone have more info on the track?

Back to the OP, camera-mounted helmets are illegal during races in Oz as well, but for anyone who already has a GoPro and want driver’s POV footage like the one Cambox offers, maybe during practice or something, you can use the supplied GoPro arms to hang the camera just on top of your visor.

I tried this a couple years back with my Hero 5 and it turned out excellent. The only downside was having to adhere the 3M pad above the visor on the helmet’s shell, which can obstruct opening up the visor completely.

Otherwise you can mount this adhesive to the visor and try crane the camera down. I’ll try find an example of how I did this.

And if you have weak neck muscles that can’t handle the extra 300g or so through corners I’d advise sourcing the lighter Hero 5 Session!

Here’s the footage (excuse the driving, I was - still am - new to the sport!):

Located in northern Wisconsin, in Shawano. Used to host big events. USPKS was there in 2016. The main issue is its located up in the north woods, so far away from anything, so they always have an issue attracting entries for bigger races. They mostly hold drifting events there now, which combined with the harsh winters we get here, have degraded the track surface a bit. It’s still really smooth, but it’s so abrasive now that it absolutely shreds tires.

Here’s an on-board of mine from several years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yECrf12TMqo