Tillotson T4 Kart/Series

I’m running 206 cause it’s cheap and easy to get into. As a club the tillotson has been brought up. And I countered with WF which is a class we already have and to add 100cc. I want to run 100cc so bad but there just isn’t any class size or until 2021 we didn’t even have the class

2 Likes

Back on that. 206 to me is awesome. I want more speed. 100cc seems like the best balance. And why I’ll get one and as classes build on the west coast I will get more involved

2 Likes

I finally bit it and got a KA on the way. It’s slowly but surely growing here. I’ll always be in a 206 at my home track, tho. Me and the 206 have a dysfunctional love/hate relationship. :slight_smile:

Is there a specific part of the country where T4 series is growing? Never seem them around my neck of the woods. Seems interesting.

I think for now it’s mostly in and around Florida so far from what I know

I think we’re in a better situation in the US than the doomsayers say.

You mentioned that when we were little kids, anyone in the UK could buy a 100cc Parilla, run in 100 Britain, and know that he’ll have decent equipment.

I can tell anyone now to buy an LO206 and know that they’ll have something that’ll run reliably and attract a decent-size grid at their local track. Are there any tracks where there isn’t a decent 206 grid? Is there any expensive change-before-every-heat part on that engine? When I raced them, I’d change the oil every weekend, set the valve lash, and replace the driven sprocket more frequently than the competition.

If you’d like to go faster, you could also tell them to buy an X30. Is there anywhere that doesn’t have a good X30 grid, or allows an engine into the TaG class that would crush it? From my experience running against them, the X30 has driven out all of the old unreliable TaGs and unfortunately seems to have pushed the Rotax off to the side.

Finally, there’s a place where all of the engine manufacturers can play and run against each other - shifter. Most places are trying to balance out CR vs KZ vs Rok vs SSE175 with ballast variation and largely succeeding.

New Jersey, alas. :cry: I asked race director about it and he said a) Briggs wants 10 grand and B) no one supports it locally. Unless there’s a new series that focuses on it, (I don’t see Marco adding it), Briggs will continue to be a non-starter around here.

Marco said something like that to me too and it was the only time I’ve heard someone say anything like that.

I think the 10k was more along the lines of becoming an official Briggs dealer required $10k in inventory, not so much $10k to have a 206 class.

2 Likes

Ah. Well someone still needs to spend 10k on inventory. Maybe the teams all said nope.

Are there any tracks where there isn’t a decent 206 grid? -Charles_Kaneb

Monticello in N. Florida unfortunately. Hopefully, I’ll have to start a trend there and be the first one to run 206 in a field of Subaru.

10 grand in inventory makes sense, I was thinking they wanted the money to be a part of the Briggs Weekly Racing Series, which is entirely optional if I remember correctly

I know it’s a bit of a hike from Monticello, but Bushnell, FL has a very good LO206 field, usually see around 15-20 entries for Senior Medium and around the same for Heavy. They also have a Senior Light class. Ocala has a pretty good field too, not sure about Jacksonville’s field at the 103rd Street Complex track

Yeah I think some traveling is in my near future. Bushnell isn’t too much further than Ocala. (I think)

2 Likes

For quoting, the website allows you to highlight the phrase and then gives you a “quote” action button like so:

Not immediately obvious so I thought I’d share.

3 Likes

It’s an extra 40 minute drive from Ocala so not that bad

I have some friends who live right next to Bushnell - they race cars but I’m sure if they’ve got a quiet evening they could stop by the track while you’re practicing.

Going back to the topic (my bad) any insight if the Tillotson Series will let you compete with different chassis so long as you run the Tillotson engine? (Like the 206 class)

Curious to see if anyone here on the forum actually runs in this class?

Andersen started a Tillotson 225RS class and you can run any chassis. So far, it’s a small group so they run together with the T4 class but, are scored separately.

1 Like

Thanks for asking! No, the intent is not to compete on track with the 206 or even compete directly with it at all. The T4 has a 225cc engine that is a bit faster than the 206, with more torque and horsepower, and slots above the 206 but below two stroke racing. It’s designed to be a cost effective, fun, high performance way to race. The T4 class is a monobrand category, with the kart, engine and tires specified as the only equipment allowed, so that everyone is racing on the same material and the race becomes more about the driver rather than the equipment/budget. The category is being picked up by countries around the world and we have an annual T4 World Cup which will be held in various countries, where the best drivers can compete on an international level. This year it will be held in Ireland in September, which we know is not ideal given Covid restriction, but are hoping Europe opens up to American travellers this summer. We also plan to have regional Cups once Covid restrictions become more favorable for travel.

The T4 is ideal for individuals, clubs and other groups who want highly competitive racing without all the hassle of maintenance, equipment decisions and the like. The chassis is specifically designed for the engine and was tested and developed by our champion karters to be the package they would (and do) want to race. It is based on a CIK homologated IPK/Praga chassis, and we worked closely with them to modify it for the ideal 4 stroke racing paired with the engine. We think the Kart+Chassis+Tire combination makes for the ideal 4 stroke racing experience, but in the US, we have also released the engine only class called the T225 which is running this summer in the SSKC. That class allows drivers to use the engine with their existing chassis as a separate class from the 206.

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube and Instagram for more information!

Thanks for your interest. Let us know if you have any other questions.

The Tillotson Racing Team.

1 Like

So, as I predicted 30 years ago, it’s come to this, one engine, one kart, one tire and one manufacturer. Just like running the mile.

Not my idea of racing!! I’m still waiting for engine specifications and allowable deviation from stock.