Tillotson T4 Kart/Series

Al, that happened over 20 years ago. I’d even wager further back if one went digging.
Not every class is for everyone, otherwise we’d only have one class wouldn’t we?

Each to their own, there’s choice. Don’t like spec, easy, don’t race it.

Frankly if we didn’t have the spec classes that some seem to abhor, there wouldn’t be a place for those that like to tinker either. I know I can’t afford to pay track rental for a day to drive by myself with my 100cc rotary :smiley: so I appreciate the 10’s of spec 206s, X30s and everything else that come help foot the bill and keep the track open.

5 Likes

Sounds like an interesting concept. As a consumer/ racer, my concern would be being hamstrung into one chassis and tire forever. Thats a ton of money (motor-chassis- tires) and what if you don’t like one or more of those compenents. Your kinda stuck and can’t substitute things around.

The T225 I could see gaining popularity easier/ faster here in the U.S. Especially as there are those who crave more speed than the Briggs 206 cannot deliver in a stock class configuration.

Honestly I welcome more companies moving into this stock 4 cycle space. Maybe one day well have something that can almost compete (performance wise) with the 100/125cc 2 stoke class. That would be hoot.

I have yet to see any Tillotson T4 stuff in north Florida, so it they are around, it must be at the tracks south or Orlando?

I’ve been around karting since 1966, I don’t remember ever seeing a class like the one you’re proposing.

I propose a rule; new karter’s only, After 2 years you must advance to the expert class.

I still haven’t heard the engine rules.

We’re digressing, but anyway…

The first single spec chassis/engine combo that comes to my mind is EasyKart from Birel. Late 90’s I believe. There was also a Yamaha engine\chassis combo in the 80’s or 90’s as well. TKM/TKM was another.

For rules on the T4, tillotson t4 engine rules at DuckDuckGo

2 Likes

Margay Ignite is the same idea. Personally I want to set the chassis on fire but that’s another story and not the chassis fault, necessarily.

1 Like

The Yamaha kart was introduced in 1976 along with their engine. The original class definition, for the engine, was "piston port ". It did not include the kart or tires.

The other combinations you speak of, if I remember right, did not include any mention of a new class or a specific tire.

He’s not saying the Yamaha was introduced as a spec class engine, but that some organizing body had made a spec class utilizing the Yamaha KT100 and a spec chassis/tires.

1 Like

come down to kartmania! the 206 fields get pretty big (20+) and weve got a solid group of really quick people here

I agree. 100cc is the ideal for me, but nothing runs it close to me. fortunately my clubs largest class is world formula.

In florida, the biggest class at the club level is LO206, you start to see bigger classes for KA100 and X30 in the regional level like the SSKC, the only track that has decent sizes in the 2 stroke engines with more than 10 drivers is the one in Miami I’m pretty sure

North Florida (at least where I’m at in the area of/ between Tallahassee and Jacksonville) is predominantly X30 with a few KA100 and 4 stroke mixed in. Never seen a Tillotson in North Florida (at least me personally).

The only club where I have seen Tillotson is in Andersen RacePark in Palmetto, FL, 50 minutes North of Tampa

Yes, correct Andersen Race Track is a T4 Hub. The Club in Ocala also sported it, but with that track closing, I think they are moving to Andersen.

Well maybe if B&S keeps having concerns related to their manufacturing quality (post bancruptcy) of the Lo206, it might force more folks into T4? I know its something I would consider just for the extra speed. My only concern would be (locally) I’d have nobody to race with as nobody runs the T4.

As a 4 stroke it sure is sexy. Torquey and light 4-stroke race engine is hard to not like.

My only head scratcher, is with the T4 coming in at so much more HP than the 206, but when you look up track results, the T4 is only (on average) 1-2 seconds faster. I thought it would be alot faster given its increased HP.

1-2 seconds is a decent chunk IMO.

Your right. I just thought it’d be more like 4 seconds + given that much more HP.

Also depends on the track, but 4s or more will be the difference between KA and 206

2 Likes

KA’s at my track are 10 seconds faster than 206.