Toe Out and Snipers on Intrepid FK4

Yousef, Send pix of the sniper on the spindle.

Hey everyone, putting the snipers on the stub axle solved the issue! Thank you all!

I was able to set steering sweep and toe using the grids. I’m racing today so will update if the overall issue is solved. The camber is different side to side, by 1.5 degrees if I recall, so something is indeed off. I took pictures of everything and will post later if the issue persists so I can continue diagnosing.

4 Likes

On the older SKM karts, the 4 spindle bearings are prone to failure. I am not sure about the spindles you run but with snipers on I always give an up and down wiggle to see if there is slop in kingpin/spindle. Also, you can loosen bolt a touch and rotate to see if kingpin bolt is bent. They usually have a very small amount of runout but nothing major.

Are you sure the spindles are on the correct sides?

Thanks everyone for you help on this, I had no alignment issues all weekend. Got P2 on day one and ran near the front on day two until I had an engine issue.

I am going to test out all the other changes you all suggested to get the chassis dialed in.

8 Likes

Anyone know where I can get replacement spindles for this chassis? Intrepid MT-01

You just need to figure out if you have 8mm kingpins or 10mm.

As the older italkart is very similar to the older SKM Intrepids. They were produced by SKM as well. Claudia will take care of you!

1 Like

Look up Coy Dayton on Facebook, He is Intrepid USA.

1 Like

Do you know what parts I need to be able to make camber adjustments? My current king pin is a “zero pill” style.

You’ll just need either two or four pills. They’re pretty standard. Sit by your kart with a pair of calipers and call Factory Karts, Comet, or Margay.

1 Like

So, this is almost an identical kart to what you have but track magic and a Shifter chassis. These are the factory pills which are no longer made. You can run a different brand which might make more sense since your not running factory king pins/spindles.

P.S. if you really need factory style adjusters we can make them but since volume of production is so low the cost quite high for such a simple thing.

1 Like

My kart does not have the threaded hole that yours does with the yellow paint mark on it. I guess that is the stop that keeps the pill from moving?

Yea, but its not needed and not all karts had it… for example on my chassis I dont have it.

1 Like

Just to close the loop on this, since my season is over, I went with the widest front end I could and went a lot quicker during the final race. The kart felt better too, with less understeer in mid corner. I was going to test ride height but ended up clipping a barrier during a practice day, and bent the spindle and tie rods. Luckily I had just gotten a whole set of spares. When I threw those on to try to align them, I couldn’t get one side to get on the blocks. A friend recommended trying offset tie rods, as that is how his chassis (a Compkart) was set up. I put a shorter tie rod on the left side and got it to align and ended up with a very strong performance in the final race. I will get the chassis on the table to make sure it is not bent during the offseason. Thanks again for everyone’s input.