Twin KZ build

What Superkart chassis is it? I noticed it doesn’t have rack and pinion steering, which is what I’m used to seeing on super chassis.

It’s a frankenstein. We pulled some parts and geometry off of our old P1 superkart (American made, originally based off of an Anderson design). The frame itself is an old 125 shifter kart frame we had made all the way back in 1998. The picture below is what we started with. I originally ran a rack and pinion on the P1 when we had a twin a BRC twin on it and I didn’t like it. Felt like it took feel away and didn’t jack enough weight. Went back to a standard setup and went faster.

2 Likes

Wheel is finally on!

What’s the deal with the different steering wheels on lay down/dirt karts? Just a custom or is there a reason it’s a half wheel like a plane.

Just clearance purposes. The bottom of that wheel is pretty much touching my legs. A full sized wheel would never clear.

Thanks. I forgot that in a lay down, your field of view is likely very different.

I think the idea is to get everything as low and out of the wind as you can, including the steering wheel. I think in the 70’s some even experimented with not running a wheel at all, rather having hand controls at the side… It was outlawed though.

That also makes a lot of sense. It definitely produces drag.

So does the driver, do we could probably get rid of them too. :sunglasses:

What they should do so that the steering wheel and driver isn’t in the way is to have the driver lay down on his/her belly and with the steering wheel where the pedals normally are and with a see-through front of the kart so they can see where they’re going, then place the pedals at the back of the kart where their feet are. Now we have less drag because the steering wheel and driver aren’t in the airflow. You may just a little bit uncomfortable.

This may take a little imagination to picture what I’m talking about :joy:

1 Like

That’s actually been done by TonyKart… Trying to find a picture now.
(update… can’t find it)

While you search for kart, here’s a bike out of the breeze. Driver and actual bike removed from airflow.

1 Like

Wait really??? Thats awesome, my idea wasn’t as stupid as I thought :joy:

If anyone knows Fulbeck in the UK they’ll know 105mph is absolute bonkers.

So close yet so far.

6 Likes

so basically a motorcycle with 4 wheels?

What is the yellow lettering item on rear axle more or less in middle? Celate? (Can’t make out lettering). Looks like 3-4 discs.

Kelgate brakes. Best in the business!

Thought that might be brakes, thanks.

I also have never seen a custom mychron faceplate with team logo. (Alan’s shot). Mounted on a carbon fiber steering wheel, no less.

Just a sticker. Available from almost every graphic designer out there. Buy a wrap for your kart and most throw those and a visor strip in free.

Edit:
Upon further review, it does have some depth to it. Impressive quality if just a normal sticker.

No time to post! We did get the kart finished and on track but ended up bending an axle very early in the day. Totally changed the shifter linkage, added a 3rd bearing support, just about all back together and ready to try again in a few weeks. Very early bodywork mockup, just playing around with ideas…

1 Like