[Video + Discussion] KZ FIA World Karting Championship 2020

There where no minors involved, the other driver is in his mid 20s aswell. Doesn’t make it right but is slightly better than 23 year old attacking 13 year old that is being posted everywhere.

The press won’t be interested. They’ve milked the story and are done with it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

…and so it begins.

Oh jeez lol :rofl::rofl::rofl::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::vertical_traffic_light::vertical_traffic_light::vertical_traffic_light:

So this just happened:

2 Likes

Karma karma karma Chameleon…
We’ve had too much angry BS of late.

2 Likes

Saw a CNN article on Google feed last night. I can’t recall ever seeing anything kart related coming out of CNN. Publicity is publicity, I guess.

1 Like

This is the sort of publicity karting needs from a 3x v8 super car champion and future indy car driver

1 Like

That and also just of more regular people having fun.
I think that the “karting as a route into professional motorsport” angle is done to death.

Sometimes, it’s just fun to share that you can drive cool stuff that you can afford. :wink: (This is why more karters need to be making content about the sport, and not leaving it up to the pro racers to set the narrative for us.)

1 Like

This is exactly the point to hammer on.

1 Like

Not to mention the promotion done by Jamie Whincup the 7 x V8 Supercar champion and 4 time bathurst winner along with Will Davison the 2 time bathurst winner.

It is fairly widely known that Patrizicourse which is owned and operated by Michael Patrizi, also an ex V8 Supercar driver, runs an arrive and drive setup for some big names, including Casey Stoner, those already mentioned, plus a few others.
It always gets up on social media.
Michael is running a good show which is promoting the top end of the sport here in Australia really well. He is heavily involved with The Race Of Stars, which usually takes place in conjunction with the Gold Coast 500 street race, where the current KZ world champion comes out along with some other big names and races against the local field in an invite only type race weekend.

If other race teams took a few pointers from the way he has done things we would be better off. Not that everything he does is golden of course but his influence has been, on the whole positive.

1 Like

What if we change the narrative. Not make it about Karting as a Stepping Stone and more about “if you can’t make it in Karting, then you don’t stand a chance at F1”. How often do your hear some famous F1 driver started out by driving their dad’s old Datsun around the autocross course and just got a ride for the next F1 season. You don’t. But, if you want to hone your skills as a Racer, then Karting is the most affordable way to do it. What you do with it from there is up to you.

1 Like

I disagree. We need less of this not more. No, we need MORE normal average punter content (which can still come from your ‘celeb’ drivers btw). I don’t think any normal person can relate to this.

Let’s look at this from a normal punters point of view

“It’s as hard to drive as a supercar”
“It’s as hard as an IndyCar in terms of G Forces”

so first off the message is “it’s hard”… especially physically. I don’t think that’s a great selling point.

Secondly, Jimmy Broadbent’s comments that karting appears to get too serious once you get into the owner driver stuff. This kind of ‘promotion’ kinda confirms It does look serious, so Jimmy is not wrong on his impression of the sport really.

That’s just the sequel of the same narrative. “The Empire Strikes Back.”

I’d agree with Alan. I think promotion around karting should be as disconnected as far from F1 and as a “tool towards professional motorsport” as possible.

It ignores the sport and the intrinsic fun of karting. It’s how it’s gotten itself in a place when it gets skipped over in the first place.

Honestly I’d rather people look at a gokart like a badass four wheel motorcycle that’s super cool, than as a tool towards the path to F1.

I think we’d have quite a fruitful yield aiming ourselves at bikers, especially those fed up with injuries.

1 Like

This is how I was reading it, you can drive something as bad ass as an indy car or v8 super car for a fraction of the cost.

talking about FIA promotion of karting

1 Like

That’s actually a thing.

MXA WRECKING CREW GOES KARTING

Will Musgrave was a pro MXer & tester @ MXA, & now runs a full-on kart business & race team. I’ve actually spoken to him (over the phone), & he’s a super nice guy, & a definite asset to karting.

Yeah, it’s definitely a thing.

I think karting is more closely related to bikes than car racing, especially since 90% of our engines are derived from bikes anyway. There’s a lot of cross over linguistically too as well as physicality (tho tbh MXers are still in different league there)