Vintage 100cc Build - In US

Looks very OEM. I would’ve been tempted to make it a mirror, polishing metal is so satisfying.

It’s funny how polished stuff used to be the desired things in karting. Floor pans, wheels, etc. Now most everything is coated or stickered. Would be cool to see a newer engine vapor blasted, as it leaves a shinier (not polished) appearance compared to the dull cast we’re all used to.

2 Likes

I agree, and I used it for all my motorcycles restorations. It’s a safer process than sandblasting (less heat so you can use it on thin parts) and leaves a better finish that doesn’t trap oil, crud and dirt. Perfect for engine blocks

…meanwhile, I just got the frame back from powdercoating

All the small bits will arrive in about a week and final assembly will begin!

5 Likes

Polished metal usually has a longer fatigue life than unfinished or painted, so naturally we don’t use any anymore.

It’s happening! Parts arrived, now I’m only missing few bodywork items. Time to kickoff the assembly phase!

3 Likes

Is it blasphemous to suggest sticking a 15-degree tilt wedge in that steering hub? You’re darn near bus driver status with that thing :joy:

Yes it is, yes it is…blasphemy…and you know it :rofl:

2 Likes

Side view of the original :man_shrugging:

Legendary Kart

2 Likes

That sticker kit is really cool, especially for that era.

Yes looks awesome! It’s on order :money_with_wings:

Doesn’t help that back then there were 3 sets of plastics (Arrow, KG, Righetti) all slightly different. Plus the special right pod variant, so adapting the kit to what I can find will be a challenge.

Regardless, I think this livery is probably one of the first to come out as a complete graphic kit as opposed to single stickers everywhere

Andy, can you still buy the old graphics or can you have a shop make reproductions?

These were special graphics for the official team running the world championship, not sure if they were ever widely available. But there is a gentleman out of Australia (Kart Stickers F100, on FB) that has rendered them and sells the exact reproductions, for each variant depending on the year and color of the plastics (the team changed the coloring in 98,99,00 and 01)

'01 version here

Standard stickers were very basic

Comapared to what the racing team was using

1 Like

Does anybody know what tank that is?

Based on the catalogue, it says 0073.B0 8 liter tank, looks more “pointy” than the new ones. Wondering if there is a cadet version from the modern lineup that may look similar

Looks like a Cadet Kart

1 Like

Kart stickers f100 also makes replica slot cars that are pretty damn cool

A mate of mine has this In his collection, he hasn’t driven it because it is like new.
Has a rebuilt vl98 with a brand new ibea L2

3 Likes

Sweet looking kart! I know several people that are now turning them into collectables, including engines alone

Nice find on the diecasts!