(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Smart young man; must have good parents. :wink:

ok, check. I see your and Nicks point at 5 and 5;17. I coulda taken a later apex to not tap Chris slightly on way into t1.

5:17 Given that theres a row of tires to my left, Clearly being that deep into them is a bad idea and Im basically trying for a 3/4 OB pass. And I tap his corner while trying to shove by. OK, I see that.

Oooh 5:36. Nick was OK with this. I do see your point. In open wheel this is a nono. In closed wheel rentals tho? Im not sure. How is this any different than TJ putting a pick on someone? But, in reverse?
He pushed in too hard, drifted wide, and I slotted in. My kart was stable, he drifted. He came back to apex, he came onto my pod. Undramatic contact where he realizes that ā€œoh shit someone was thereā€. I subsequently make sure he has room through the next bit and we both fit through the next chicane.

Yes, thatā€™s the point. You go wide, I am there and in closed wheel pack racing, you need to expect that. Notice the overlap where he contacts me. Our karts are even at that point. Send? Yes. But was it wrong? Hmm. (and you could say the same to me about what I thought was a shit pass on me so please tell me to cry a river).

So yeah, I coulda lifted, let him come back down to apex, rode his bumper out, and probably dispatched him next corner. But, I saw the moment and took it. I played it back at .25 and it looks like I turn in when I see him turn in and you are correct, its early. I suppose I coulda let him turn in and kept going another few feet and then later apex and come under. That could have played out well, maybe Iā€™d open up to attack tho. But, I think we had some gap.

OK so.

Conclusion: Keep doing what Iā€™m doing minus the tippy taps mid corner off center. Avoid contact, generally (I do try but I can do better). Got it. That, I can work on.

despite his parents, in fact.

Thank you, my dear friends and concerned karting citizens. Your help is appreciated. I feel like I can go race my next race without being conflicted.

I looked at your race @Bimodal_Rocket and thatā€™s misplaced aggression

1 Like

Ok, thx. Anything specific?

The pit maneuver and the leaning against the other driver didnā€™t bring you anything good and you just made the others mad. Be assertive yes, but not aggressive without a purpose like this

What are you calling a pit? Which example of leaning?

Please give me a specific. Itā€™s easier for me to understand if I can see what you refer to. I donā€™t recall a pit.

Was 7:30 ā€œcruelā€?

I positioned in such a way he was forced narrow and washed out. I went under the gap. He came back in onto sidepod, not hard tho. Given how much looking around 47 was doing I fear he may have been freaked out a bit.

When the kid overtook you you leaned onto him in the straight, he made the hand sign

The sorta pit maneuver when you went into the left turn three wide, I donā€™t have the timecodes

1 Like

The pass you thought was unfair, he is not coming back into your pod. He is running the line and is drifting back to not run into the barrier. If anything you drift up into HIM.

The 3-wide where you shoved your nose into the gap that wasnā€™t there was a straight up pit. You turned hard right into his left rear tire.

Aargh super duper curse me for introducing prefinal footage to illustrate that I can be unreasonable.

I really really do not contest that in pre I was a bit of a psycho regarding that final h1 lap. I was, however, hoping to discuss the matters at play in the main. I ā€œknowā€ I was unreasonable and wrong in prefinal event, but I did not feel like I was wrong in Main.

That stupid turn and the messy start distracted from my intent, which was examine how I approached final more aggressively and the choices I made.

Also @tjkoyen yeah the pre start was rough and I hear ya on the lift. Your point is well taken.

However, Alex has his kart against mine with his wheels pointed left. Heā€™s pushing me to the wall. (And, im guessing the kart to his outside is doing same to him otherwise why would he be driving me to wall?).

So I disagree. about the lifting and getting in line. (But thatā€™s just me being rental guy. (With open wheels this is clearly too much contact). Itā€™s messy out there in rental land!

I value your option highly and Iā€™m not trying to say you are incorrect. Iā€™m just using my experience rentalling as guide. I think the closed wheel wells and cages really changes the fundamental nature of how folks drive rental karts in races. For better or worse. That being said, I donā€™t contest that your advice is correct. I would be better off developing long term habits that are consistent with racing as you know it (as opposed to as I know it in rental leagues). Your thoughts enforce good behaviors that minimize poor outcomes, whereas my way is self-indulgent (and not going to lead to national podiums).

Final start has no such issues and I make a pass coming out of t1. Totally orderly and fine. Then, appeox at 5min mark, I go ham for about 1.5 mins. (As far as I can tell). In the course of that period I make 3-5 decisions that are open to interpretation.

Iā€™ll try to figure out where this is. In main, yes?

Rentals are the NASCAR of the karting world.

Rubbinā€™ is racing! Until itā€™s too much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

In the main video, all passes combined it seems ok

I swear my races are more chaotic than KF3 races were

1 Like

Rentals are a different set of rules. Itā€™s basically sim racing with even less consequences at times :laughing:

1 Like

Oh I wouldnā€™t go that far.

I havenā€™t jumped the clubhouse irl, yet.

@KartingIsLife which brings up a good pointā€¦

This is another ā€œmoral gut checkā€ post where I bring nonsense to the table and then ask for opinions. Like these: Am I a Jerk? MIA (Moral Incident Analysis) I punt a guy

I make it real by using my own poor judgment and misbehavior as the source of inspiration.

Itā€™s a deliberate attempt to get ā€œdiscussionā€ around actual racing thatā€™s not about technique etc.

The question I have is, is it annoying? Iā€™m not trying to be narcissistic, Iā€™m just trying to get people to discuss stuff thatā€™s ambiguous and open to interpretation. I try to show actual misbehavior that had some consequence to the race, not very minor stuff.

Je Tā€™aime (avec la chaleur dā€™une million KZ pipes). :sunglasses:

I am free! Send it!

1 Like

Ooof. Iā€™m gonna go cry in my matching k1 outfit and Bell challenger helmet. :sunglasses:

The truth hurts.

Tanguys races seem to have a pretty good standard of driving and more homogenous fields skill wise,

We have quite a few SWS drivers and overall the field is with 1.5s a lap

I have yet to even have a fleet thatā€™s within 1.5 much less drivers

Can I come race in Yurup

Do you have better turns than this?

Sorry, Iā€™m not trying to be a dick, and Iā€™m not saying rental racers as a whole are ā€˜badā€™ or ā€˜less thanā€™ drivers. Iā€™m just pointing out that the environment (track layout, variable skill level, and especially the karts) create a consequence profile that flavors the driving skill with a deep layer of hyper aggressive that would likely not be acceptable in other types of kart racing.

So, back to the 5:38 pass at the double-apex left-handerā€¦ in the context of the racing, I kind of understand how you can justify thisā€¦ I could be swayed. However, I want to make clear what I didnā€™t like about it by first pointing out what I consider good passesā€¦ positioning your kart in an advantageous position, at a reasonable time/location in the turn.

3:37 shows two good examples of what I would consider good ethical passes.
You get inside position with significant overlap 3/4 kart (so they had to know you were there) early in the turn (by the turn-in point). So in my eyes, you earned that piece of track (by getting a good run from the previous corner) and you executed the pass by the first apex with superior position and entry speed. BRAVO

At the same time, something similar was happening with the three karts in front of you; Mr. Gray Shirt got inside position with good overlap at turn-in for the first apex, so Mr. Yellow shirt had to acquiesce, and he had to accept that being passed at that spot meant he would be wide for the second apex. The guy behind (Mr. Blue shirt) took advantage with a move that one could argue was a bit late (he did not achieve significant overlap until maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the apex). However, due to the compromised position of yellow shirt (a full kart-width wide of the line, and realistically no chance of getting the kart down to the apex) there was room for Mr. Blue shirt to execute a clean (no contact) pass. So I look at this as Mr. Blue didnā€™t really earn the piece of track at the apex by getting overlap at a reasonable spot in the turn, but he was gifted that track by the previous pas compromising Yellow shirtā€™s track position. To me, this is just racing Mr. Blue did not ā€˜diveā€™ for the apex early, or carry more speed than he normally would, and Mr. Yellow recognized his situation and didnā€™t turn down to bang into Mr. Blue.

The things I donā€™t care for in the 5:38 pass are:

• I first have to ask myself if he was a little wide at turn in because he got some help from behind (when trying to slow down for the corner, or was driving a different line trying to get a good round run at the 2nd apex, or did he just made a mistake.

• Certainly he was not in as compromised a position as Mr. Yellow from the example above; he was maybe 1/2 kart wide compared to your (and the other drivers), ā€˜usualā€™ line through that turn. Anyway, regardless of his exact lateral position he was for sure going to be able to get the kart all the way down to the aped.

• At the point when the guy in front of you is turning into the 2nd apex, you have about 0 overlap (your front bumper is about even with his rear), so In my mind, for that location in the turn, you have earned no right to any inside track position.

• It appears you were able to establish some overlap during the time between him turning-in and him arriving at the apex. However, it looks like you did this through a combination of getting on the gas early (bravo), and driving straight to the second apex (much less bravo for me).

• The maximum amount of overlap you got before the inevitable contact at the apex was your front wheel about even with his rear wheel (based on stepping through the video).

In my mind I feel like you could see he was driving to the apex, you made a late, straight dive for the apex (presumably knowing contact was inevitable), bumped the guy out of the way, and just stole the place with a move that seems like a bit of an over aggressive dive-bomb.

That said, we can 100% agree to disagree on this. If you consider that move fair in the context of rental racing, and would not complain if you were on the receiving end, then thatā€™s all cool. Iā€™m coming from a FF background where people end up on their head from moves like that, so my perspective is a bit different.