(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

“Telemetry Overlay” is the program. It is maintained by a very active developer who posts detailed videos on youtube explaining how to use the program. So far, I am very impressed with it. It can handle the telemetry files from basically every type of data logger, wearable, GPS app and camera.

A bit more expensive than Racerender but feels more modern and works on my M1 Macbook Pro very well. What is super cool about Telemetry Overlay is that you can configure all the gauges on the video and then export just the gauges as a “transparent video”. That allows you to then import the gauges independent from the video into another video editor such as Davinci Resolve to do the final cutting and editing. That is how I was able to fade in the gauges after the start of the video.

I want to figure out how to have positions included but I can only imagine that has to be done manually. Doable but time consuming.

1 Like

Nice driving, this is a cool track too. Never heard of a standing start in an LO206!

Thanks! It is a super fun track and can be ran in both directions with 4 different layouts!

The standing start thing is unique for sure. For whatever reason, here in the PNW 4-stroke classes have standing starts. I’ve heard it is to reduce turn one incidents as generally the drivers in these classes are newer. Standing start means far less speed going into T1 than rolling. Not sure if that is officially why they do it, but just what I heard.

Thanks! I will check it out.

When rolling starts were still a thing in the PNW, T1 was complete chaos in the Jr classes at pretty much every track. To me, everything seemed to be too narrow to facilitate clean rolling starts. It also helps to not have to deal with 3-4 wide situations at what is essentially full speed.

Yeah I think it makes sense even if our 4 strokes are absolute slugs off the line! haha

I use GitHub - time4tea/gopro-dashboard-overlay: Programs to process GoPro MP4 & Generic GPX/FIT files and create video dashboards & maps

Not the easiest to setup nor to use, but it is free and easily configurable. But as a Software Engineer it took only 2 min to install and start muxing the videos.

This is what I got using it, with AV1 encoding at 2.7k

1 Like

So what we’ve got here is a post party public session with a bunch of the league folks and a few unsuspecting patrons thrown in the mix.

It’s a friendly speed 3 race and was a heck of a good time. 6 laps and change, and yours truly getting to drive with some friends from other divisions.

Supercharged at its finest… Enjoy.

2 Likes

6h Enduro at Mariembourg : IT IS A CLASS WIN (And P5/40 behind 10 and 20kg lighter drivers)

Basically there were 3 classes, like in the sprints :

Class 1 : 85kg min
Class 2 : 75kg min
Class 3 : 65kg min

racing at the same time.

Race was red flagged after 45min of racing due to a pitlane timing issue, so on the video we are watching the restart

Got to drive 2 75min stints, my elbows started to hurt quite a bit at the end :grin:

3 Likes

Damn, nice trophee… Congratulations!

Also… You have become svelte… tight like a tiger etc. unstoppable speed! :checkered_flag::100:

2 Likes

Still 7-8kg overweight :sob:

Let’s not get carried away… European eating is worth the extra baggage. Your skill will do the extra lifting.

1 Like

Wow, this was the one of the most surprising and exciting ends to a shifter race I’ve seen in the last several years. Formal is good at winning in recent times, so much so that maybe he needs to remember how to take a loss a little better. I don’t know if got a fine for the last move there, but he should have, imho - looked like conscious t-bone vs ‘proper lunge’)

Hmm. Maybe. Could just be desperate lunge after making that mistake. Or could be red mist. Hmm.

Moral incident analysis required.

Insane and brainless move by Formal, in some wierd way he pulled the clutch mid corner hence why he 2 wheeled out of the corner like that and blamed Morgatto for pushing him😂

1 Like

The last corner incident isn’t nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Morgatto didn’t even get pushed off the racing line. Yeah, his bumper got mangled, but you see worse on X30 junior starts. Had Danny’s kart not two-wheeled from the curb helping him along then the whole incident would be a non-issue. Any talks of “weaponizing” (looking at you @tjkoyen :wink:) are hyperbole…if he wanted to end the other driver’s race, he would have done so.

What’s more out of character to me is the fact that Danny blamed Morgatto for hitting him in the hairpin, rather than owning up to clearly missing a gear (the reason for Morgatto hitting him).

These are two great drivers that clearly want to win, and they both still crossed the finish line as opposed to being towed in on the meat wagon. That said, it would make sense to issue an “avoidable contact” penalty to Formal…not sure if the officials did that or not.

You can bet your ass I’ll be tuning in to watch the next event :sunglasses:

To be fair, I had about four beers in me when I was commenting. :sweat_smile:
You really believe that Evan? I mean he was five kart lengths back, basically didn’t brake, and aimed for the curb. I think anyone with a few races under their belt knows the outcome of a move like that. Danny and everyone else knew that he was never going to complete that pass or even get close. The intent wasn’t to pass, it was to get “payback”. I’ve seen more than one attempted t-bone before and have been victim to similar moves in the past.

Like @Lborka noted, Danny pulls the clutch in halfway through the hairpin trying to block Morgatto, and that’s what led to the the tap. I think his intent there was to slow roll the apex and drive in the middle of the road to pinch off the crossover, then pull the clutch in for a launch off the corner when Morgatto tapped him, but he ended up doing a wheelie instead.

My favorite part is that the KZ guys lobbied loudly against pushback bumpers (which I actually agree with in that class), and then as soon as Danny gets the slightest tap from behind, he becomes a sore loser and tries to wreck Morgatto and then complains in the post-race interview that Morgatto tried to “put him in the barriers”.

AND ANOTHER THING…
This whole “pro” nomenclature is starting to wear on me. There are no real licensing requirements to run X30 or KZ. Show up, give SKUSA your money, and you too can be a pro! I think it’s kind of a farce to have guys 2 seconds off the pace at these events and call it a “pro” class. Or have disrespectful driving like we saw in KZ with Formal and Morgatto or Kremers getting booted into the barriers or the incident with ADT and Norberg in X30… There’s maybe 4-5 guys in X30 who are actual true pros making some cash off karting. And depending on which teams decide to show up for KZ, 2-4 pros there maybe? The rest of the field are just normal karters like the rest of us.

I thought the racecraft at Orlando kinda sucked to be honest, but I think that track layout lends itself to aggressive driving. Long straights, tight switch backs, barriers, usable curbing… Makes it very tempting to send it hard up the inside, run a guy up into the barriers or block 4-wide down the straights.

Anyway rant over. I’m going to practice my t-bone moves for New Castle.

5 Likes

The gold standard t-bone was accomplished here in maybe the early 2010’s? It was a heated battle that bubbled over into a full blown intercontinental war between Nic Leduc and Billy Lewis. I believe each performed their own heroic t-bone on the other in the horseshoe section. You may have been in that race (possibly WKA?) and I’m sure video footage exists somewhere lol

Fair, indeed. Being in the four-beer “sweet spot” can produce some comment section gold.

The short answer is yes, I believe that, though it’s a bit more nuanced. First and foremost, and you touched on it in your reply, that track and that corner (amongst others) have a curbing layout that becomes very “suggestive” if a driver is looking to set forth one last dive bomb for the conclusion of a money race. Plenty of overtakes happened here from multiple kart lengths back. Quite simply, Danny himself said he came from too far back and at that point had already committed. Luckily for him and for Morgatto, the incident was “contained” enough not to have any material outcome. Tweaked plastic bumper and some flashy two-wheeling…none of that really mattered. I’d think there was probably some strategy of “bump and go” that mechanically could have worked very similarly to other instances of drivers “moving” the lead driver off the line in order to get alongside. The odds of this maneuver being successful were close to 0%, which is why I believe it would fall under “avoidable contact”, and should be penalized accordingly.

I think if any average driver attempted the same thing that Danny did in the last corner, both karts would have ended up in the barriers.

A have a slightly different assessment of what happened in the hairpin, and have since watched back the KC footage from the outside of the corner at track level to solidify my opinion. Perhaps Danny was trying to prevent the engine from bogging after having blocked the inside, and that’s why he pulled the clutch. They were past the phase of the corner at which one would “park” the other driver…been there done that. I’ve also been in scenarios myself where I’ve used the clutch to prevent such a bog, most notably the back hairpin at Battle at the Brickyard (Indianapolis Motor Speedway). Unfortunately for Danny though, this type of clutch maneuver is done at your own risk. He obviously did so at a point where both drivers are on the gas, so doing the clutch thingy impeded Morgatto, so the contact that Morgatto made with Danny’s rear bumper is just something that happens…not really something for Danny to whine about.

It does seem like Formal was being tactically slow out of the hairpin to maintain position which is riskier in a shifter.

Then it escalated quickly from there.

When discussing the Formal/Morgatto incident with my dad, the first thing I referenced was the Leduc/Lewis incident because yes, I was in that race. :joy: WKA Man Cup in TaG Senior. I can’t remember who did the t-boning and who was the t-bonee, but I think I was probably about in 10th place and I just remember a kart shooting across the road perpendicular in front of me and I thought “oh I think that was one of the leaders…” and then when he shot across the horseshoe and struck the other kart like an ICBM I, in my helmet out loud, said “HOLY SH*T”. :joy: