(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Reddit provides the footage…

Heck of a first turn kerfluffle which everyone fortunately walked away from uninjured. Also, helmets are good.

Well the first few minutes has me thinking that you are a badass and don’t need my thoughts. Happy to oblige, however.

I really like the turn at 48s. You go down there and find the grip and push the heck out of there. Then in the chicane you show really nice kart placement and control mid chicane. You are using track limits really well to build speed and momentum.

@Awa at 2:20 Larry gives you an example of moderated throttle through a corner. Notice he’s not full on gas. Maybe try a modulated throttle run through that fast right onto the S/F that you struggle with. See if you can make it through. If the back end feels like it’s gonna come unstuck just reduce throttle slightly and it will settle. Maybe try to see if changing the timing up a bit will help. Maybe try entering with a slight lift and then going to 90% entry building to 100 out.

@2:30 noice.

I wonder a bit about the first corner, tho. The throttle comes in past apex consistently but it’s a multi turn exit. @3:07 for example. @speedcraft thotts? Is this throttle coming in ok or work to be done?

(Series of Small mistakes) has big consequences, oof. What’s your take on this closing bit, Larry?

LOL, no I didn’t invent the Hall sensor, that was E. H. Hall in 1879. I am glad to see they are using that instead of a potentiometer, as they are much more reliable. Given the lack of availability of “everything”, it’s not a bad kit and getting cheaper with the falling Euro.

The BSR kart is advertised with 25Kw and 100Nm output using (99% sure) the Motenergy ME1507 motor, although they are running it a 96V instead of 120V. It’s air cooled, so it may be iffy in hot climates. The specs for that claim a peak of 44Kw and 120Nm, continuous 14.5kW. Looks like they just sort of averaged that to advertise a power figure as the mfr claims are exaggerated. The battery is stated to be 56Ah at 96V, which would be about 22S23P depending on what cells they use (18650s). Stated another way, it uses 3.7 Ah of battery every minute.

Compared to the DHX motor kit I wanted (still with supply chain issues), which is a much more efficient water cooled motor (consistent power), it has about 50% more power using 43S12P battery at 144V. The motor and battery weight of theirs is about 44.7Kg vs 38Kg for mine with a radiator and water.

What I’ve been working on lately is for long runs, road racing. The above is just for 15 minutes, I need 50ish minutes. It has to be MUCH more efficient or you would need an enormous battery. I think I’ll be able to do around 50 minutes with only 12 2170 cells at 100cc TAG speeds. That’s why I’m spending so much time on it, leading edge design.

1 Like

Thank you! I figured yours would be less mainstream.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Driving tips for Road America [Video]

Not a vid but…

So I’m guessing that my new favorite shifter spokesperson will be pestering Norberg to shift a few gears.

I broke off the latest video to a new topic for driving feedback. I think it works better that way if we pull them out…

1 Like

@speedcraft

Well it would appear that Ryan is an advocate of pretend driving to videos as well…

1 Like

That was from the most recent round of the Texas Sprint Race Series at North Texas Karters. The put down RhinoHide on the track and make it SUPER grippy. Almost all the cadet karts will 2 wheel through that corner, and some of the full size will also 2 wheel, especially if you hit the inside curbing.

We actually didn’t make that race since my daughter had eye surgery.

Interesting! Sounds like a good weekend to have scheduled a surgery. How’s she recovering? We wish her the best!

I believe I have heard similar stories about the rhino hide stuff. With great grip comes great flip. :grinning:

What can I say, I’m a trailblazer :joy:

1 Like

Literally so, in this case!

She’s doing good, thanks for asking. She’ll actually be able to see now when racing. She had cataracts that kept her from seeing anything but shapes and outlines, now she can see detail. Looking forward to seeing how this helps her racing.

1 Like

Some rental racing from the UK

I stumbled across this gentleman and his YouTube channel yesterday and thought I would share with you guys. As a rental racer in the USA, I find his footage fascinating on a couple levels.

Firstly: the series/tracks. The UK seems to have a variety of rental series that look extremely well attended. There appear to be no shortage of racing opportunities, from indoor rentals all the way to twin engined rental karts.

The tracks that he’s racing on are unusual and lead to some interesting racing. Checking out his channel, we see a crazy wood floor indoor facility. I think I finally understand why there are Reddit karters who swear that sliding the back end around corners is fastest indoors. Not sure if they are correct but watching the karts drive on this super grippy surface sure is unusual.

The second race I watched was on an outdoor track that is narrow and technical, with barely any passing zones. Really close, intense racing. Similarly, the third outdoor race also is what appears to be in a very old and well populated outdoor facility, again very narrow.

The rental karts all seem to have the very beefy cage system that we had at NJMP on the Rimos originally. They are very sturdy and smooth wraparound bumpers that allow for lots and lots of contact between karts. Which brings us to the racing…

The races are interesting to watch because of how tight these tracks are and how physical passing becomes. There is a lot of leaning on each other and banging about, jostling. Particularly indoors. The outdoors races are also very much of a single file brawl as well, sometimes. Compared to rental racing here, it seems quite a bit more intense, but it also may be that his rental leagues are for more advanced racers, not sure. Perhaps the CalSpeed league worthies can tell us if they have similarly intense wheel to wheel combat in their very popular series here in the USA.

Finally, it’s interesting to me in that this karter seems to share the same story as so many of us… sim racer who also karts on a budget, but this time in the UK. I am quite interested In seeing how our fellow karting enthusiasts around the world engage with rental racing. As evidenced here, rental racing in the UK appears to be a different animal than in the USA and seems to have more participation and perhaps is taken a bit more seriously by participants.

Anyways, this young man appears to be in his early stages of racing and, I think, is doing a commendable job of communicating his experience and the ups and downs. I think this is his second season of kart racing and does a good job of articulating the experience and it’s moments. He races well and has good competition and will likely get better and better over time. His approach to presenting the videos is good and he finds a way to make a video work despite helmet cam bans, etc.

Say hello to Jake Shute and his racing. Enjoy!

@NikG @Alan_Dove :face_holding_back_tears: y’all had to learn to kart and fight at the same time, didn’t ya? You Englishmen race hard.

Finally, a tip for Jake from my experiences dealing with helmet cams… bring a Phillips head screwdriver to track. When you put Gopro on helmet, crank it down using the Phillips as the finger tightening never seems to be enough to hold the cam up. Don’t overtighten or you will strip the screw trying to undo. Just a slight extra bit of torquing with the screwdriver.

This will be a huge improvement for her quality of life, no doubt!

1 Like

When you put bumpers on karts what else are we supposed to do?

UK is a very densely population country so we have a lot of circuits and stuff all pretty close to each other. I think rental companies have really taken advantage in recent years of the development systems for running championships etc… and there’s a lot on offer with regard to leagues and so on. Sim racing has helped with this I think. I can’t say I follow it too closely though.

Well your scene looks healthy as heck compared to mine. I’m not surprised you guys are having this success with amateur racing. It seems that club100 kind of stuff is the norm over there: big rental leagues with lots of folks participating.

I think that’s also because the tracks are so narrow. Reminds me a bit of the challenge @Bobby was having in Australia with his impossible to pass track!

Hey, that’s my intellectual property… I started doing video driving/riding in the mid-80s (for cars & bikes). :grinning:

It just goes to show that when ‘you’ give ‘yourself’ clear direction about what you want/demand, the whole ‘team’ inside your helmet just tends to figure stuff out. :+1:

Pass under caution for the lead? Or after the caution? (about 2:10 mark)