(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

@E13

I never did get around to following up…

What was your impression of the endurance race we competed in at Club Motorsport?

Have you done any enduros before?

What did you like and what did you wish was different?

Had a ton of fun, almost wish it was longer. I was surprised on how much that track beats you up after a good 30min. It was run well, competitive, and clean (ish) racing. cough #23 cough
I didn’t find myself in any battles though, I was either much quicker than the karts ahead or not quick enough to put up a fight with the top drivers. Kinda in no man’s land. Woulda liked a bigger track, more people, and more time.
That was the longest I’ve ever been in a kart, my longest race was 20-25 minutes, and my longest practice was around 20 minutes as well.
I was surprised on how easy it was for me to lose focus though, it started to feel like I was just riding along. I thought those laps would be really slow but they were actually not too bad.
Would do again

2 Likes

Young man builds a kart.

In case you’ve lost perspective, here’s a fellow making a muck-about gokart just because. To be clear: he fabricated the whole thing, makes the chassis from tubing. He also designed and fabricated most parts, as well. He bought wheelbarrow wheels as he was on a tight budget.

1 Like

Ok so… if you’d like, you can do the 6 hr NJMP race with me in aug. 3 hours seat time. I have already paid most of it. If you want, I’ll give you the seat for 250. It’s august in NJ, and I am 52. 6hrs in that heat might be a really bad idea for an older guy. LMK.

Club Motorsport was a smaller turnout for @Chris_McCoy series. In all the other ones we have done, it was around 25 karts on track at same time. I think we were 18 or so teams in NH. I suspect NJMP will be fully subscribed. Battles for days, I should think.

It is a learned thing and you would adapt with experience.

I think losing focus is a natural byproduct of being on track by yourself in a race setting. I’ve even had similar experiences while leading shifter kart races. That was at a track that I’m very familiar with, otherwise I think the speed would keep me 100% occupied. It’s a whole different ballgame if following behind someone…having a rabbit to chase is guaranteed to keep you engaged and free from distraction.

Somehow I never seem to have a focus problem when driving by myself on practice days. Maybe it’s the pressure of race day that can cause my mind to wander. And don’t get me wrong, these are only very small moments of distraction, but in a shifter kart one small moment can easily lead to a mistake, or a chain of mistakes, which can cost you precious tenths lap after lap.

Sooo I’ve driven onto the grass because I was in La-la land. It’s not exclusively for the old, apparently. This is why we need folks to battle against. Keeping focus is hard.

Mostly, though, my Stig takes over. I almost never have a total disassociation from the act of driving.

I may be able to do that, I’m free that weekend, so it’ll just be a matter of transportation.
Yeah 6 hours by yourself in this weather isn’t a smart idea for anyone

Wel that’s great news! I will let Chris know when/if you are solid with it.

I did the 6hrs of NY at OVRP in the rain with Nick, duo. It was totally fine for him and me as 3 hrs each is cut into 22 min chunks.

You got this just fine. We will have to be smart about hydration and shade though.

You could hoof it to my train station and I pick you up and we drive the 1.5 to NJMP. I can then drive you back to trains.

Powah

Here’s some street racing action for you.

Pretty solid EOS smack at OKC

In comments folks are up in arms about wall at end of straight. How do you guys feel about it? I did not get the impression that it’s a dangerous turn but I never lost it there. Maybe a couple huggy barriers to reduce impact?

Track outline looks vaguely like a state. That’s an unusual layout. Reminds me of liberator outside loop which almost feels like an oval.

Yeah the “practically non deformable by a race kart” barrier is probably a touch harsh. Probably a rental kart barrier is my guess. Not that that that makes it any better.

I can’t speak to this specific situation but I have hit the link-type barriers and was impressed with how effective it was. It gave away but not so much that I was deep in the weeds. Whatever, this guy in the video hit it didn’t give at all and he stopped very abruptly and I would guess very painfully. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had a concussion too.

It didn’t look very pleasant. I could easily see broken ribs from that. I stayed far away from that wall. It looked scary to me when I drove the course.

Partially a road through a park and a couple city streets. The majority of street races are predominantly left hand turns.

1 Like

Throwback video of the rubber at the Pro Tour race in New Castle 2015. Finished 4th on Saturday at this one.

3 Likes

There are a lot of spots where people think “oh, no one could ever crash there” and those tend to be where the worst crashes are. Like grosjean, kubica, and almost verstappen at Azerbaijan if he went left instead of right

I have no idea where I’m going with this the thought just popped in my head

But yes that wall looks pretty damn tough for karts, i personally think the ones that hug you are the best. Especially since you can fill them up with as much water as needed. Low speed spot? Just a little water. High speed with trees? More water.

How common are brake failures?

Reminds me of walking on a drag strip after the top fuel guys did their runs. Feels like glue trap

1 Like

Just catching up on some Youtube after vacation and came across these:

Kacy gets the win!
…and:

…an in depth talk with Dad Stahl.

Both great to watch and just energizes why I still do this in my late 40"s.

2 Likes