(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Almost a kart, what a drive!

Andre seems to be coming into his own with the f1600.

And to think, only a few, short years ago, we were racing each other in Project Cars on Xbox.

It is gonna be fun watching you guys grow up racing.

1 Like

That was some Ryan Norberg Sh*t right there! He got pinched down like 5 times in the last few laps. Where are the Stuarts at? Gotta leave some racing room! Hella drive though!! First half car was a bit tail happy, but settled down nicely in the second half. He had a decent run at it.

1 Like

@E13
2 things: we need a team name. Ponder this.

Secondly, hereā€™s another race for you to watch. This one is an enduro where I start in 4th.

This one is interesting interesting because I have to defend, hard, against a driver in a faster kart.

After I clear the 3 ahead of me at the start, I start getting attacked by #8. I manage to repel him multiple times.

He eventually chrome horns me (im assuming itā€™s a mistake :sunglasses:) in 5 at apex, knocking me wide and pushing under me.

Then, I go on attack. While his kart is faster, he is a bit sloppier in his execution which allows me to reel him in. Which I do until an errant puddle puts paid to my racing dreams.

In any case, this footage has me dealing with each corner in both offense/defense.

This would be instructive if you can manage to watch. Theres pretty good action, tho.

NJMP Rental Enduro: Dom Callan full session

I clear the 3 ahead by t1 lap 5. From there itā€™s laps until I start lapping folks around lap 10. Lap 16, at 12:09, I repel the first of the pass attempts. He passes me eventually and I pass him back, defending again. Around 20:34 (lap 27) he starts nibbling again and we are off for real. We then battle until I hit standing water and understeer off into the grass.

23:07 (lap 30) is phase 2 begin where he pops me off-line and gets under me in 5. From there itā€™s me hunting and reeling him in, until I have a spot of misfortune when a kart right in front of me drops a wheel into the water at apex of 3 with predictable results.

Pit-out can be big danger if folks are not careful. Chris is aware of this and will likely move the launch off point closer to track entry. Just be aware as you head down straight.

4 Stroke Fantasists
Kings of Caster
The Artist and the Engineer
Ponder This Racing
The Fight or Flight Club
We went Racing, Bono

Your turn!

Ordered these hydration packets: JUNP Hydration Electrolyte Powder, Electrolytes Drink Mix, Hydration Mix, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, 0 Calories, 0 Carbs, Keto Friendly, Kosher, (Variety Pack) https://a.co/d/3zyzRB6

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t we want to limit defending? If someoneā€™s faster Iā€™d just try and let them by and follow them. Defending east up a lot of time, so it could be harmful over the course of 6 hours.
(Iā€™ll get to the rest when Iā€™m off work)

Well yes, this is for when you choose to fight. I would focus on making good laps. If a faster guy comes through, tuck in.

All of the wrecks Iā€™ve seen from these new barriers have been nasty, Iā€™m not a fan of them at all

Ah, itā€™s been a couple years since I was there last. Did not crash so did not notice but it looks nasty. They did get some sort of deformable and changeable pit in/out system I saw in video.

Race Mode, Engage!

In which the pros discuss their new philosophy/technique for battling Ryan (and keeping team owners happy).

@XanderClements how do you folks deal with the fact that most tracks are kind of remote and typically have crappy cell tower signal? I noticed that the Texas footage was sort of low frame rate. Usually thatā€™s not the case.

I imagine that getting a good stream is critical to the show. What are the technological challenges you have had to overcome and what are the tech issues that youā€™d like to resolve?

Did you come across any incidents officiating there?

Do you think the folks that own the place are aware that they have an unsafe corner?

Race Mode On Racing Long Sleeve T-Shirt

1 Like

Same t-shirt but instead of NES controller I want a pic of Garrison grinning. Or maybe some kart chaser merch along those lines!

So weā€™ve tried about every option you can think of. Iā€™ve got hotspots from all the major cell providers, sometimes we use the wired internet available at the track, and weā€™ve got Elonā€™s baby in Starlink. On Sunday in Texas, the damn cell towers must have some algorithms for usage or something. After a solid Saturday with zero connection issues, randomly on Sunday, weā€™d lose service after a few hours of running. Iā€™d switch to a different provider, then it would eventually cut my service off.

Thought I mightā€™ve been close on the data plan cap, but we were only at 20% usage on the month allotment. So I think it has something to do with the cell towers throttling data when they see levels get too high after a certain time period. But thatā€™s just my theory.

Man, the list is long with this one.

- Audio
Some weeks, I can get strong enough signal from the cameras to use their audio for background sound and engine sound. Others, none. Hard to understand why.

- PC Bandwidth // Signal Strength
These two shouldnā€™t go hand-in-hand, but sometimes they do. Where we should have no interference, have a good connection, etc., but then all of a sudden when we look at the camera preview the framerate is low and we have to drop the quality. Annoys the hell out of me. On the flipside, we could have perfect connections at 1080p when we test on Friday or Thursday, then when we wake up Saturday morning nothing works.

- Graphics

• Every once in a while, the base ticker we have that connects to Race Hero will stop reading data. Then randomly, whether we reboot it or not, itā€™ll kick back on. Still havenā€™t figured that out yet. Itā€™s also a delay since it runs through RaceHero. Our good friends at AlphaLive and AlphaTiming gave us their ticker that is straight off of their timing system back at the last STARS race, and it was awesome. Theyā€™ve also got developers with the ability to work with us on customization. Manufacturer branding and colors, lower 3rd graphics for interviews ā€“ nothing is off the table for these guys. I told them if we go all out with the graphics I see no reason why every major US series and track wouldnā€™t want to give their timing system a go. (Itā€™s only compatible with their timing system, so for now we only are getting to use it at STARS races.)

Iā€™ve also got my wishlist:

• 5-10 Minutes of delay before an X30 or Shifter session to do grid interviews
  • 5-10 Minutes of scale line delay to interview those same divisions, rather than waiting on them to get through scales **this goes for all classes ā€“ if we got to interview them when they came off track, weā€™d never have to do mid-race interviews like we do now. But the series want to run as usual, and I get that ā€“ especially as our audience is still mild and in early growth stages.
  • On-board cameras
  • Drone footage (this is doable, but itā€™s expensive and hard to justify IMO. Iā€™m a much bigger fan of low to the ground shots.)
2 Likes

Youā€™re on the money. Tower oversubscription is 100% a thing. Especially at events with a concentration of people.

1 Like

Why is this expensive? I would think you could source a pilot with equipment from the forums? Itā€™s a simple stream, no? I would have thought that would be a non-starter since race directors donā€™t like things that can fall out of the sky.

Could totally see it adding a nice dimension and it works well for whoever does the skusa intros.

Can you get a communications partner that will provide you guys with bulletproof services or is it a problem of $ and scale?

So

I just mean in the justification of the shot. Weā€™ve got two guys on our regular squad that have drone licenses and drones. We use them from time to time for intros, and could do it in the broadcast. But I donā€™t see the shot // angle being used all that much during a race. Maybe once or twice for the novelty of it. I could be wrong. But if itā€™s $2k in terms of day rate and travel costs for another person to be added ot the team for the weekend, I think thereā€™s more valuable places I could put them than just manning a drone all day.

Though, there is that fear in certain series of flying the drone directly over the track. Sometimes weā€™ve had to fly just off to the side.

And for a comms partner, itā€™s something Iā€™ve considered looking into. Especially if we could get a sponsorship // partnership deal involved. But I just havenā€™t invested a ton of time into it since weā€™ve really only had bumps at 1-2 weekends out of the nearly 20 weā€™ve done so far.

Agreed. Your on-board would be worth it. Might even pay for itself with YouTube crash/battle footage. :grinning:

Yeah thatā€™s sort of what I was thinkingā€¦ Kart Chaser brought to you by ATT.

Iā€™m guessing scale isnā€™t there yet for a huge company to want to do this but maybe you can get Elon nice and high and ask him.

Canā€™t lie Iā€™m a fan of ā€œwe went racing, bonoā€ even though Iā€™m a fan of Mercedesā€™.
The kartists
Kings of caster is also solid

I think hopping might be a problem out of t1, is there something I can do to mitigate that?
Also, is there a reason you donā€™t use all the right side of the track on the entrance to t1? You cut back to the right but leave about a foot or two to the outside

Got a timestamp? 20 chars