(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

The builder goes on about how he can tell the engine was rain raced.

In those days we were running rotary valve air cooled 100s .Anyth ing over the carb was considered restrictive so all the rubbish off the back wheel went straight into the engine.Then air boxes became mandatory to supposedly reduce noise levels.

1 Like

If you were to race in the rain without a filter or airbox or rain cover on the airbox on a modern engine, your builder would probably not the extra wear on the engine as well. Ingesting dirty water generally is bad for all engines, regardless of era. Even today some people have a dedicated ā€œrainā€ engine.

If we have a particularly rainy weekend, the builder will usually advise that we rebuild the engine or at least tear it down for inspection after the race.

1 Like

Thanks both of you. :heart::checkered_flag::heart::checkered_flag:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty cool track. I was noticing the big, long turns and got curious. T2 in particular.

Mac Track, Portland. Seems like one of the rare ones that exists outdoors in a city.

If you want an outdoor experience indoorsā€¦

A slightly different track review.

Check out this awesome POV of Kremers getting air at AMP:

Amp on shifters irl must be amazing. I have spent considerable time TTing KZ at AMP in KK. Its length allows you to really let the dog hunt.

With my gearing, I top out about 92mph at end of straight. Iā€™ve also crashed mightily many times in ways that would have killed me, had it been real world karting.Much props to the folks who race them there for realsies.

Thereā€™s clearly a huge delta between real and sim, if I am reading Marjinā€™s mychron correctly. I think we are 4s faster in sim. I attribute this to the crashy bit. In sim I can murder kerbs and do all sorts of stuff that would flip you irl. Not sure why x30 times are much closer to IRL. Iirc the track record at pfi is not so far off KK times as compared to KZ Amp laptimes. Maybe 1s max.

I recall telling Oliver that he needed to use more width on 2 entry but as it turns out, a less wide entry seems to work just fine, as evidenced here. However, I think HP matters because a narrow entry on a rental kart would be slow as the rentals need to swing out wide, using what would be OB for normal race karts on the exit. For rentals, you have to maintain as much rolling speed as you can to make the uphill not glacial. You make big U as opposed to a J.

ā€œLead, follow or get out of the way!ā€

Ryan explains how to drive low, med, and high HP:

I like how Ryan disabuses the public of the notion that Low HP braking is different and softer.

He does say that you should come off the brakes sooner and get on throttle sooner in lower HP.

I think the braking is similar on all rear-braked karts regardless of power, but the difference is the brake zones are far shorter in a 206 so thereā€™s no need to come in sideways, with some lock-up on like you would on a faster kart with a longer braking zone.

Yeah the time on brake is real short. But, I found his statement to be valuable because in forums etc, you get the sense that many folks think the fast way for low HP is to avoid using brake at all, which is largely incorrect, imho.

And yeah for getting back to full as corner develops, KZ vs LO is a great example of how power requires patience with throttle. Where youā€™d be flat in lo you have to trickle throttle in with KZ.

Ew no brakes = bad

We already had this discussion IIRC

Yes we did. You were my Ryan and saved me from myself.

Thereā€™s a saving private Ryan meme in here, somewhere.

Coasting is fine in low hp kart. Trail brake in mid and high Hp kart.

I canā€™t get past how violent turn 2 is on that race courseā€¦ How does one have bolts and ribs stay in place?

Itā€™s one that is self inflicted really I tend to take drive directly to the apex as it seems to be a strong area for me personally In that section of the track. Others take it much wider but can lose gobs of speed, but still have their organs intact instead of a smoothie.

4 Likes

Lalala GIF - Friends Ross Geller Hearnoevil GIFs

2 Likes

As a huge fan of the series I am pleased to post the 2023 Endurance Karting schedule:

I havenā€™t been able to race since 6 hrs of Joisey so I hope that things calm the heck down in my life so I can get out there in 2023.

Chris seems to have had a new idea about some sort of club/membership modelā€¦

Thereā€™s 3 levels and honestly Iā€™m not sure if it makes sense for meā€¦ but it might for you. It seems like thereā€™s a deal in there for EMT/Military and similar folksā€¦

ā€œThe ProCup Club offers massive practice time and huge discounts to help you optimize your time at the track plus includes early registration, & Endurance Karting SWAG. $250 discount for verified active military, veterans, & public service workers (i.e. Police, Fire, EMT, Teachers). Contact [email protected] for getting the discounted membership.ā€

But damn, I want an EK tumbler and t-shirt.

Pricing went to $1600 last year from 1200 due to fuel prices. If EK is following the same route as every other business, Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s a permanent change. Hopefully, however, he doesnā€™t start asking us to tip the employees as well! Looking at you, Sbux and Amazon.