What did you do to your kart today?

I really like mine in my 206. I didn’t have to trim it, and it wasn’t terrible to get it fitting right. The seat that came on my kart was also a Jecko (shameless plug: it is for sale here FS: Jecko D7 Standard Seat). That seat was wider, and the previous owner had to trim it slightly to clear the chain guard.

I am looking at getting one for my kart but I need to find someone local to me so I can figure out what size i need.

Yeah I had to just take tons of measurements and hope for the best.

Kiddo loves his jecko. He has been running one since kid kart. But he’s also 7 so probably doesn’t care.

206 I had to do some very minor trimming. But so minimal most wouldn’t notice.

Ideally, I’d love to have multiple sets of wheels. But just starting up, everything is $$$. This month I’m hoping to get a set of snipers.

LO206 is supposed to be the “affordable” class which is approachable for beginners. Using a different tire than pretty much every other series in the area is tough. I understand they likely had a deal of some kind, but its small things like this that makes it harder for new people to join the sport.

Side note, would there be any issue with swapping tires back and forth on a wheel other than it being a hassle? Like does it degrade the tire if you mount them multiple times?

I believe it should be no real issue about mounting then swapping etc. as long as you are using some sort of lube ie soapy water windex just to not tear into the tire bead all should be fine.

I also mounted brand new tires onto new OTK rims and have a question for thought. New chassis and I’ve only used rains or used slicks. So no data for new fresh tires. (MG reds on OTK chassis for 206 senior) should I used practice 1/2 (5-7 laps) to dial in new tire data and potentially lose the fresh tire advantage in quali or just run baseline setup in quali with the fresh slicks.

Yes be careful, if the bead tears it is game over for that tire. I am by no means an expert, but I have gotten to the point where switching tires is only a slight pain. It can be very intimidating and even demoralizing at first. It is worth it to get extra wheels if budget allows but swapping over is def an option.

Get the correct tools - bead breaker, tire scissors and some kind of lube.

1 Like

We haven’t figured out how to get the rear tire bead to expand. Any tips?

Honestly I think the Reds are pretty slippery for the first 5 laps or so, and I’ve considered bedding them in for one or two laps and letting them cool down again to try and knock the surface off and get better warm-up out of them.

In 206 I wouldn’t be afraid to scrub them in for one session and then give it hell.

Put an ad up on FB marketplace saying you need some wheels. Someone will have something for fairly cheap.

Wonder why you went with that antiquated type of steering mounting point- a triangle… most karts have a rectangle type system to allow heel stops or even a pedal system to adjust…

Because I don’t personally need a heel stop or adjustable child pedals on my personal test chassis that will probably only be used for a couple of months. Have custom pieces made but I don’t need them.

Did your mom race karts or is this her first time?

Her first time. She is 56. But my dad races , i race , and my kids race. Just got her getting seat time right now. Try to get her ready by mid to end of summer. She used to race barrel horses as a kid though so shes tough

6 Likes

I have a cadet in LO206, club races on MG Red. We always scrub the tires for a short run in practice before racing - not sure that is really required when it is midsummer/hot, but when it is cold it is pretty much a must-do because they are so slippery for first couple of laps… the kids that don’t in the cold are usually off the track somewhere on Lap 1.

We usually get 2 race weekends (3 sessions in anger each, plus one scrub-in before first race session) on a set of MG Red before we start to see a couple of tenths degradation in lap times. Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th race weekend they’re about .5 off, and seem to stabilize there for a while. If we’re feeling spendy, after 2 race weekend the tires become our practice tires and we put on fresh rubber… if feeling frugal can get 5+ race weekends on them, albeit at about .5 off their best for races 4+.

Interesting morning at Stars round 1. Found that a bottom seat mount was broken clean off, changed to my “race” cylinder, and changed axles. Kind of nice when the first session isn’t until after noon!

5 Likes

Welding cart just creeping in the background…

3 Likes

Race day at hälla ring in sweden… heading into quali in 20min wish me luck and m hoping my hammer time black bumper doesnt get a push back​:scream::scream:

5 Likes

Not to the kart itself. But no more super sweaty race weekends. 15k btu should turn my tiny trailer into an ice box.

Tomorrow get the power ran to the last of the outlets and finally finish up the trailer.

5 Likes

What chassis is that?