What do you do in the offseason

The Aixro is badass IMO. Perfect for a kart. Light and powerful.

how fast did those karts go?

I remember Malibu Gran Prix. The one nearest to me was in City of Industry, which it became SpeedZone. I ran them several times. Now that I live in San Antonio, there was one near my work, but it’s been closed since before I moved here (13 years ago). The building and sign are gone, but the track still remains.

Those Malibu Grand Prix cars were actually Lola 506 chassis. I don’t remember the engines though.
The Lola’s come up for sale occasionally.

1 Like

They were powered by snowmobile engines - Kawasaki 2-stroke air cooled twins, in fact.

We stopped in a small town high in the Sierra Mountains to get some lunch. It was summer. I asked the waitress “what do you guys do here in the winter?” She replied; “wait for summer” lol

2 Likes

Very much what I feared the answer would be

Sierra winter = snowboarding! And bears rooting around in the trash.

Ive been skiing for 3 years but cant afford it with karting now

When I was a snow dog we’d go backcountry when broke. There were places you could drive up to the top and ski down. That isn’t happening in NJ, however.

Here’s some “urban” skiing: go to 1:09 if my magic link doesn’t do so automatically.

1 Like

might have to try something up in NH

I dont recommend flat-ground landings like those guys jibbing were doing if you value your knees in old age. Some guys use long elastic bands to pull them forwards to the launch ramp. Snowmobile Tow is even better I’d imagine.

I think if it comes to jumps im gonna stick with on the resort terrain park but I would like to try some freeriding in the white mountains as I already hike them in the winter. I feel like every karter my age skis.

I’d like to get back into it too! Same as you though, rather spend $ on turning rubber and castor oil into smoke.

Unfortunately for you, you can’t take part in all of the cheap school ski trips which is much cheaper. Turning rubber into smoke is a very fun hobby/lifestyle/addiction

Race karts! In SoCal, it’s year round racing. To fill the regular racing season gap, Tri-C Karters is putting on a 4 race series, the Chill Challenge. The first one was last weekend.

I started racing in the offseason. So I guess I race. Build race cars. And drink beer

2 Likes

5 Likes

I am now debating moving out to california, skiing AND year round karting! Sounds like a dream. Out in New England it starts getting below freezing early october

New England sure is pretty but I recommend California as a place to live when you are young, north or south. The opportunities for insane forms of recreation, all within reasonable driving distance of major cities, is unparalleled. The driving everywhere does get old and the lack of seasons gets wierd.
That being said. If I ever win the lottery, after I build my track, I’m buying a home in La Jolla overlooking Windansea.