What is the cheapest kart class besides Lo206?

What is the cheapest kart class besides Lo206? There is still like 4 months till the season actually starts but I just need time to have a chat with my parents (etc)

Don’t think you’ll find anything cheaper than the Lo206 classes.

1 Like

Rental series. :grinning: 20 char

2 Likes

206 is your cheapest initial investment and cheapest overall maintenance.

1 Like

That’s understandable

I just feel like the class itself isn’t that fast compared to other classes, but I’m still a beginner so… it’s alright

The speed is kind of irrelevant. Learn to drive slow car fast and you will be a better fast kart guy someday.

7 Likes

this. and if starting out you just will want track time so cheap maintenance and stuff is good. 206 still do like 55+mph so they are plenty fast enough to be fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheap, fast, reliable… pick two.

Or get a KA. 206 is your best choice for a starter class. Speed is irrelevant as Dom said. Learning proper driving technique and good habits are what you want to focus on.

3 Likes

Cheapest class to run for me was OVKA 420cc. It cost me significantly less then 206 but its local only and you wouls have to have my background/resources

1 Like

I made the mistake many moons ago of trying to start out in Rotax Max (125cc 2 stroke around 30hp) and it was overwhelming trying to keep up with guys who had been racing for years in slower karts and earned their way up to that level.

Looking back I wish I had gone with Honda 4 stroke at the time and learned to drive better

1 Like

Lo206 is pretty slow in the hands of someone like me. Under the right driver, you’d be amazed how some of these skilled guys can absolutely fly down the track.

2 Likes

Ya like my 8 year old son. Seriously he could kick my but in his 206 (with red slide even) when i was driving a rotax. It truley is about smooth driving and carrying the speed through corners. If you haven’t driven a 206 I recomm6you do before you rule it out if your on a budget.

1 Like

Our Tillotson T4 Series is a bit faster and more economic than the 0206. It is more popular internationally but still a growing market in the US.

2 Likes

Oo looks interesting, never heard of it.

Charles what makes the Tillotson a little more economic compared to the 206 so you think?

1 Like

Do share. As a Briggs racer I’m skeptical of claims that this is more economical. Where are the savings?

I think Tillotson has some explaining to do there making a statement like that. Definately has me scratching my head . . . but who knows, maybe they know something that we do not?

Cotton

2 Likes

The cheapest class besides 206 is used 206 or older 206. Your problem is there are a lot more costs than the kart itself – transportation, races, parts, tires, etc. So, I agree with others – rental leagues is the way to go.

I think he’s referring to the T4 spec series. For $4,000, you get everything to go racing with brand new equipment except safety gear. I don’t know if you can find a brand new 206 package that cheap.

As he mentioned, I don’t think a T4 spec series has caught on in the US yet though. Maybe somewhere on the East Coast? We’re just starting to experiment with the 225RS engine out here in the PNW for the PGP Winter Series. I mounted my engine today on my EOS chassis and have the first race with it next Sunday. Should be interesting to see how it goes. It’s similar to a Briggs WF but a fair bit less expensive. Longevity is unknown at this point.

1 Like