When did you decide to change up? (Lo206 to 2 stroke)

When I first started looking for a kart, I wanted something that had good field size, was local (within an hour drive) and was affordable to me. I had a newborn at home, a wife that essentially quit her job and was doing well enough at work to put a little extra aside every month. I did some research and at the time TaG was hot. Boasting the largest fields next to shifter, but still with in my budget range. LO was barely a blip on the radar at the time and the fields were dismal.

Little did I know that within two years of purchasing my kart that the LO fields would blow up in my area and that TaG fields would dwindle. LO was an option, but very little was available second hand and the deals were better at the time for TaG. I had driven a 4T a decade prior and it was fun, but I felt it lacked the power of a 2T (power vs weight).

Back Story: Years ago, my brother and one of his race crew buddies took me to a huge warehouse in the middle of nowhere north of Atlanta. It was a rental kart facility unlike any I had ever seen. Forget the bulky surround bumpers and bodywork. These were Race Chassis fitted with Honda 390’s modified to run on Propane for indoor use. They were light, they were nimble and they even had decent pull out of the corners. What they didn’t have was Scream! Like the kind of scream that you get when you are barreling down the straight so fast, that you question if you can put enough brake on to slow the kart without locking up the hard tires on a slick track and not completely blow the corner. I never really felt that. Anyway, Andretti Speed Lab came along about 5 years later with their purpose built tracks and put these guys out of business. Sad really. I think they were just a bunch of racers looking to put something together to share with the world.

Okay, back to my point in all of this. I skipped LO for TaG. At the time, I thought I could have a higher learning curve with more drivers in my field. To a point, I did. Where I failed was a combination of lack of seat time due to my work schedule not lining up with the race schedule and the higher running costs needed to stay at the front of the field or at least improve. I was and to some extent still am a budget racer. At first I would buy a set of tires, run a race, then a couple of practice sessions and try to race on them again. Being new to the sport, meant chasing setup was challenging. I was not about to spend $ on new tires every race. I did what I could and bought a new set of tires every other or every 3rd race. In between, I would buy a set of take offs from the local shop and use those for practice. At the time, a can of spec fuel was around $75 and oil mix around $15. Now fuel has climbed to $100 and oil $20. Keep in mind 2T burns through fuel twice as fast as 4T. Other expenditures are not that far off from LO other than you may go through sprockets and chains faster due to the higher revs. The expense is manageable, but still higher.

Like James said, you sort of have to figure out what your budget to fun quotient is and decide from there. In my area, many of LO guys have moved to 100cc. The budget is somewhere in the middle between TaG and LO. Generally the same tires, just the added expense of fuel. They run close times to the TaG class and should considering the far lower weight they can run at. For me, that is not an option. I am too large of a person to ever make weight in 100cc. I am already overweight in TaG and struggle to maintain mid-pack with the occasional podium with ZERO LEAD on my kart. One guy, near my weight is consistently up front, but he is just stupid fast anyway. Congrats on the win today Kyle. I still got 3rd! :joy:

Give it a try and see what you think. You can always go back. Bonus fact, as your brain learns to process at the faster rate, if you do go back it will feel like you are racing in slow motion! Happens every time I get in a rental.

2 Likes

That would be a significant jump but if it gets you on the track sooner go for it. I would guess it would take one or two practice sessions for you to adjust to the extra power and speed, but it will take a while to fine tune your senses and the chassis. Just start from the rear of the field for the first race.

1 Like

Shifters are popular in south Florida, but not so much in north Florida from what I’ve seen. LO206 is blowing up everywhere, except for at my local track (for some strange reason) where 2 stroke is the biggest field. Strangly enough, we are starting to get more IAME 175’s and now they have their own class.

1 Like

Maybe it was meant in jest but I take issue with this kind of comment (or at least this part of karting culture). This perspective and mindset that drivers have to “move up” in classes causes many to become disillusioned and leave the sport.

The answer to your question is… You move “up” to shifters when you have the time to do the amount of required off track physical and on track training to stand a chance of even being competitive. The added time commitment is the unspoken cost of shifter kart racing.

I think it’s wise to encourage people to go where their resources match the demand of a class. Keeping an eye on your chain over a weekend is a lot less work compared to what a shifter is going to demand. Not sure what the point is on pumper carbs. They work well for single gear. Horses for courses as they say and there’s noting more freaking annoying than dropping a needle clip on the ground :smiley:

The sport would be better off if we encouraged drivers to just enjoy the class that matches their resources instead of delegitimatizing the slower classes and pushing them up some sort of perceived hierarchy because of our personal driving (Or commercial) preferences.

I’ve done the “shifter on a 206 budget” (extreme example I admit) thing and I’d recommend that anyone thinking of doing same does so going in with both eyes wide open

8 Likes

I lurk more than post but felt compelled to reply. This is my first year karting and I started in a shifter. Why? Because I wanted to and knew my lack of experience and fitness would punish me and I’m okay with that. I also knew shifter is a very small class where I am which means less drivers to factor with when so much else is going on. Does it follow conventional wisdom? Hell no. Have I been criticized to my face for “jumping” to shifters. Hell yes. Do I care? No. Do people tell me I have a set of brass balls for diving in the deep end and that I have a suicide wish? Yep, every practice or race day. I jumped in because I felt it gave me a baseline to always work off of. No change in motor over time, etc. Am I competitive? Not really. Am I having an absolute friggin’ blast? You bet. Its like strapping yourself on to a rodeo bull and poking it with a spear just as the gates open and I love every single second of it. Move to 2 strokes when you’re ready. For me, I have no delusions about going to IndyCar, F1, LMP, GT etc. I’m having fun. Once its no longer fun, adios.

For transparency, I do have a (limited) motorsports background, but I’ve been investing time and money in education and am looking at coaching to help me on my journey since shifter is such beast. I also geek out on data and use empirical stats to back up or dispel “what I think.”

My story and reasoning is atypical, point being, don’t ever follow some mantra “just because”.

6 Likes

I think this sums up the whole topic right here! Do what makes you happy!

4 Likes

We moved from 206 sportsman to KA junior for a few reasons.

1. My son tested his friends KAjr and was hooked! I wasn’t getting away with just 206 class anymore.

2. We attempted to run 206jr and KAjr at the same time. It was too much for the mechanic, too much for the wallet, an the driver was struggling to learn 2 new full size karts after 5 years in a cadet. I said, “Pick one.” The choice was obvious.

3. What made the choice obvious, outside of the increased speed of the KA, was the fact that at many tracks, including ours, the Briggs 206 juniors run slower than the 206 sportsman. There was no excitement to move up.

We’re in our 2nd year with the KA. It sure is fun, but GD is it expensive!

1 Like

Looking at chasing KA100 SR next year. Have 17 months of racing under our belt.
A few considerations we are looking at:
1). Finding the LO206 class to be a bit rougher driving than what we see in KA100. The draft is so important in 206 that guys pack drive like Talladega and Daytona, and we know how that ends up!
2). More less skilled and rookie drivers in LO206 means if you find yourself at the back for some reason (DQ, breakage, wreck) you are surrounded by very erratic and inconsistent drivers.
3). My kid wants something more challenging to drive and like all drivers, wants more speed. :rofl:
4). My son is very tall (6-4) and has convinced himself that the higher power KA won’t penalize him for his height when grip is high as much as 206 does.
5). Is LO206 really that much cheaper than KA100? Maybe, but I am not certain we are saving that much trying to find and keep those last 1-2 tenths anymore.
6). If we go KA100 we will drop our 18 race club schedule and focus on regional series. This year we will do 22+ race weekends. Next year we will run about half the weekends.

Not sure where you race locally, but just note this is probably the opposite regionally and definitely nationally. KA is a very aggressive class most places.

While I have not raced beyond local with KA or 206 I think you need to look at the whole year for costs. To be competitive with KA you will likely be doing a top end every 6 hours or so and bottom end every season, maybe 2 if you are running only 11 races. You can buy a new 206 for the cost of a complete rebuild on a KA. You will need to buy race fuel and 2T oil. We are paying about $20 a gallon for race fuel and the recommended oil is $20-25 a liter. I believe the KA uses noticeably more fuel than the 206.

Yes KA is faster but they are as equal as 206 and you will encounter much of the same driving styles that you are hoping to maybe avoid. It also appears that KA has become the stepping stone to TAG so you will encounter a lot of younger drivers that prioritize winning over staying clean.

You may want to jump right to TAG but that will surely be more expensive. However, It will likely be the class that penalizes height the least.

@tjkoyen Much of this is based upon NTK experience. With the high grip surface and three banked corners it is not my favorite LO206 track. The pack racing produces off’s in those very high speed sections on a regular basis.

In our regional racing all we have is KA100 then shifter, so only 1 single speed 2 stroke class really available. The other 2-stroke classes are run in varying numbers at some club races.

All of our plans are subject to change if we can manage some seat time in full size cars. He will gladly trade 2-stroke karting for some endurance racing in a full size car. :slight_smile:

@mtbikerbob
I know we will use more fuel. At club races we burn pump gas, but all the regional series make us run the same expensive canned fuel as the 2-stroke guys. So we aren’t going to spend a fortune more on fuel if we only do regional races.
As for tires, we aren’t going to be hurt much at regionals either, as they require you run the same set for the weekend in 206 and KA. So we practice on a set and race a set now, that won’t be changing for KA. Now if we club race a bunch, the tire difference will be huge.
Motor costs and rebuilds are the big one that I don’t know what to really expect!!! I see guys doing top ends after every race weekend, every other weekend, and some that do 1 top end per season. Bottom ends, I figured 1 per year or so. I am pretty strong mechanically, so the carbs and top ends I may do myself, bottom ends will go out to someone. I know its more complex than cutting seats and lapping valves on the 206… :upside_down_face:

Like my response to TJ, KA is our option for 2-stroke regionally. We aren’t quite ready for national level stuff yet, so KA or 206 are our choices in karting. We have a potential opportunity to get him in some full size endurance racing. If that works out, we may stay 206 and kart a whole lot less so we can afford big cars.

Just want him to keep making contacts and see what his options are in this world. He wants to be around motorsport in some form, even if it isn’t behind the wheel.

A bit of a re-direction but this might be of interest:

1 Like

Has he test driven any two strokes yet? Since NTK switched us to the Evinco Blue, TaG and 100 are running pretty close lap times. Weight being the biggest factor. He is welcome to take a spin in my kart. Given we are close in height the seup should suit him. The seat might be a little big, though. :rofl:

1 Like

So I’ll report back on my experiences, for better or worse. (Buckle up Buttercup) :poop:

RacerParenting got the best of me last weekend, as Dad spent 99% of his time getting the girls on track (Wrenching, parenting, corner working, stressing, etc)

So here I am with this X-30, with zero practice sessions, hell- I had never been on a 2 stroke before. But I decided to sent it anyway (not advised).

Takeaway #1: Holly piss, this thing is fast compared to a 206. The power band is all over the place (comparatively, just when you think you’ve hit the limit or the power band, it has ANOTHER gear so to speak) Which is very tricky to manage. As just when you “think” you know where the power is going to come in, the goal posts move and your white knuckling the living dawg $hit out of it trying to understand (in real time) what to do with all this power. (Again- coming from 206)

Takaway #2: WTF was first reaction when trying to estabish my racing line. (Not happening) The corners were coming at me so fast, it took everything I had just to keep it on track. What is a racing line again?

Takaway #3: (see takaway #1)

I had alot of fun (sort of) but jumping into a established 2 stoke field with no experience was sobering. I placed P-9 out of 14: but to be honest 3 DNF’ed the first lap, so I really only beat one person.

Sobering experience, but experience none the less. Still learning . . . still trying to process it.

2 Likes

Glad I didn’t read this in the morning while drinking coffee.

so…let’s turn the perspective around. If a 4 stroke costed like a KA (all in: engine price, maintenance, tires…everything). How many of you would pick the 4 stroke over a KA and why?

Good question! I did not get in 4 stroke because of cost. I grew up on KT100 went off to cars and came back to great series called Ignite by Margay. Kart count won the day for me. Now if you add equal participation I would always go 2 stroke. They are just cooler. This year I have also started racing new Margay class called Ignite 100 that is spec and uses VLR100. That all said I find I really like the 4 strokes also. So now I am running both

1 Like

Having done both it would be the KA all day. I would say speed would be the first reason, and the second would be that comparatively the KA is a little more forgiving for sloppy driving at least compared to the 206. Third, did I mention the speed? I also think the KA is easier to maintain week to week. I didn’t realize this till I owned a 206, running on pump gas creates more work than expected.

1 Like

I think Robert hit the nail on the head, you cannot be sloppy driver 206, you just don’t have the power to get you out of a mistake. I litterally watched a 206 this past weekend where a guy was in P-1 with about a 60 foot lead. He lead the race from Lap 1 to lap 11 of a 12 lap race. He made one mistake and over cooked a corner, and finished P-4.

1 Like