When did you decide to change up? (Lo206 to 2 stroke)

I will always be in whatever class is the biggest. I like kart count and competition. If there were 30 KAs and 10 206s, I would be in a KA. But right now, at our local club there are 30 206s and 5-10 KAs.

3 Likes

100cc all the way. I loooooove 4-stroke but powerband is everything. In an ideal world where we didn’t have money to consider, or field sizes, ka100 all the way.

Reality= I’ll stick with 4-stroke

2 Likes

I guess it depends on the four stroke exactly because once you get to that power level the “206” like maintenance is no longer a thing.

Generally, even though I love two strokes, the additional work with fuel mixing, carb Mx etc etc is not worth it with the KA.

If I can bang gears with the four stroke that’s a bonus too.

All that said, if the grids are the largest with the KA I’d probably just deal with the two stroke stuff.

1 Like

LOL, I hear you. I though was crazy enough to just start with a shifter kart and learn how to drive one-handed.

Think faster…

This. I have a KA that just sits until the local KA Masters class grows bit.

I would argue the 206 has more additional work but only if we are talking about gas with ethanol. Either I didn’t ask the right questions or talk to the right people before I bought a 206 but I was shocked at what I needed to do; Clear the lines, fog the carb with wd-40, empty the tank, empty the bowl and drain the oil, plus these are all kind of messy jobs. And for the most part carb settings are about the same in both, set it and forget it.

I’ve found that the “be locally competitive” budget is identical in KA, X30, and shifter. What you save on engine rebuilds is spent on sprockets, chains, pumper kits, and crash damage. New tires for qualifying are necessary in all three classes. If we had bigger shifter fields, the entry-level engine would just be a ten-year-old engine rather than something making half the power, and there’d be larger production and sales volumes on those engines. I agree with you that 206 racing is much less expensive, mostly because of the reduced driveline and chassis wear.

Is there any good 2-cycle driver that’s not in “competitive in a completely different sport just because of their fitness” shape? A midpack KA100 driver might get away with a training regime that would have them unable to climb out of a shifter kart after the feature, but strength and endurance are necessary advantages in every class.

I think I may have just initiated the “change up”. A good deal for a complete OTK chassis, rok gp engine, alfano 6, and kart stand presented itself, and I made a deal with the seller online, just gotta figure out when I can make the 3 hour drive to collect it.

We’ll see if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew for my son next year, as we’re still planning a full season of Briggs Jr and now add in a 2 cycle mini series as well.

1 Like