Your favorite car in motorsport

I’ll be the hillbilly that picks a NASCAR. But i also loved the Indy version.

1 Like

The car that hooked me as a race fan as a teenager.

2 Likes

Rick, in 1979 I got to see the original STP turbine car do a few laps at Ontario Motor Speedway while they shot some promotional video… or maybe it was film back then. :wink: Anyway, it was so weird to hear what sounded like a lear jet whooshing down the front straight and then disappearing (along with the sound) into T1.
stp-turbine-cars

On the topic of cool, strange, and strange sounding cars; I saw the Chaparral 2J at Laguna Seca

You could hear the rumble of it’s big V8 as it approached the corkscrew, but in the time off throttle, between the two apexes at the top and bottom of the hill, all you could hear was the “BBBZZZZZZZZZZ” of the snowmobile engine that was driving the fans… then the rumble returned and away it went.

One of my favorites for weird/cool cars was the Lagnua Seca version of the Chaparral 2H, with it’s massive mid-ship wing and the driver placed so low they had to add ‘windows’ to the side of the car.

1 Like

You took mine!! Just watched the end of the 24. Happy to see them on the podium!!

1 Like

Post another pic of same car :smiley:
More is gooder

2 Likes

I’m 97.9% sure I made one of those in the 4th grade. Equipped with lead weights that we rolled downhill.

4th grade

1 Like

One of my childhood favorites… the 917.

3 Likes

91IMSA_SEB_02

It’s hard to appreciate how awesome this car (Porsche 917) is until it’s right in front of you. Probably the most valuable car I’ve gotten close to.

2 Likes

917 is still an incredible feat of engineering and sheer insanity to this day. It’s basically constructed from hollow metal sticks with a massive flat 12 thrown in.

Oh wow, one of my really good friends restored that car for Porsche back probably 10 years ago now, its sister car, the 22, just got sold on auction earlier this month.

1 Like

I got to run nose to tail with a 333sp a few years ago on track at a drivers education event. Gentleman driver knocking off the dust and getting the car out for a few laps and it was a marvel to hear / see / run with up close.

That said, my favorite car in motorsport has to be anything 911 based

1 Like

Some of my favorite race cars from lime rock

1 Like

Wow, what a small world, Aaron. This car was so special that they named the restaurant after it at the Porsche experience center in LA. The service was super fast! Lol! Here’s a photo of the menu:

Favorite car in motorsports…

To look at? Momo Nissan NTP-93 or Holbert Racing HR1 or Chassis #103.

I really like many aspects of different cars even some overlooked ones in history.

I used to run 911’s, but not the ones your referring too. (Notice I said run, and not run from) :rofl:

vic

Interestingly, The Ferrari’s 333sp last win was in 1999. However, the 333SP would go on to be competitive for another 2 years as the Dallara Judd 333SP winning multiple races in 2000/2001

The Judd cars sounded basically like this (same exact engine) so they still had a good noise… Dallara Judd LMP Florent MOULIN Art & Revs - YouTube

1 Like

No kidding. An impressive Le Mans debut for the C8R.

I’m still a rotary nerd at heart, so it’s the Mazda 787B for me.

7 Likes

That IS a sweet sound!! :+1:

1 Like