Your Tow Vehicle, looking for recommendations

I sold the F150 which struggled a bit with the toy hauler, bought the 2500 diesel and barely notice there is a trailrer there, especially in the wind, its so stable.

Now if i hadnt bought the toy hauler, and kept using a cargo trailer, I never would have sold the F150.

Was that F-150 the 2.7 or 3.5L?

The replacement for the TDI is… the GTI. Mine gets 33 mpg towing, and 41 mpg if I keep it at 73 MPH or less on the freeway.

1 Like

2.7, fantastic fuel mileage when daily driving, atrocious mileage when towing, and it was working hard especially on hills.

Only reason I ask is a guy I work with swore the 3.5L (when towing) was a night and day difference than the 2.7L. I guess he had owned both.

1 Like

That’s the difference with the big diesels. I’m getting OK average mileage, but it barely dips when towing, heavy or up the mountains makes very little difference. The change to small gas engines is great to pass emission restrictions on manufacturers and for light use…towing and L/T reliability is a different thing.

3.5L is night and day over the 2.7L for towing…the 6.7L diesel is night and day over the 3.5L when it comes to just towing

1 Like

Ive heard that too. The big thing i noticed with the 2500 is how stable it tows in wind. Even with the weight distribution hitch and sway control on the F150 hitch, the 2500 with a normal hitch is way more stable.

1 Like

yes, that is a function of wheelbase and weight of the truck.
I really never liked trucks but I slowly changed my mind once I finally had to get one

1 Like

I have an F250 Superduty with the 6.7 and it’s a beast of an engine. Mpg is surprisingly good for what it is too, better than my 2010 F150 V8.

1 Like

I never posted my tow rig. I’ve been using a camperized 2001 Chevy Astro 4wd for 7 years or so with a 6x12 cargo trailer. It gets along at 60-65 when it needs to but only gets about 12mpg on a good day.

I have other options for day trips as well, a FJ Cruiser or my wife’s 12 Silverado 3500 diesel, which gets the best economy out of the three.

However, I don’t really care for trailers and wanted better mileage while still not having to get hotel rooms (nearest track is 2.5 hours away) so I picked up a project sprinter this week.

5 Likes

I love the sprinter! That is where I would go if i could afford it. Sell my truck and trailer and go sprinter only.

I got it for fairly cheap, especially with the new parts that are on it, but It also has some major running issues that I’ve narrowed down to the engine harness. Person I bought it from got in over their heads and couldn’t make it work. Otherwise it just needs a bunch of small stuff.

1 Like

Realized I never posted my rig.

5 Likes

Another vote for the GTI, tows very well for my small trailer, if you can parse down your setup to fit. Plus it’s a very fun practical daily/Autox/HPDE car!

3 Likes

Wagons for the win!

2 Likes

So I did a temporary fix, just don’t tell my wife . . . :rofl:

We bought her grocery getter before the used car market went nuts. Although I haven’t gotten my truck yet, I talked her into upgrading as we basically got more in trade than I paid for it originally. So we upgraded “her” vehicle to this, which I might borrow during race days, which will buy me more time . . .

IMG_2282
IMG_2283

3 Likes

My tow vehicle. We were using a 7x14 cargo trailer, which my 1500 handled fine, but then the wife and daughter wanted a/c for the hot summer days, and this trailer is what they made me buy. So, I got the 3500HD to tow it. The truck handles the trailer without any issues, even with the size, hardly notice it is there.

3 Likes

That looks to be in excess of the vehicle’s towing capacity.

5 Likes

5 Likes