2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

No, just engine penalties for using extra powertrain components beyond the allowed amount this weekend.

Most teams agreed they would be taking engine penalties at some point in the year due to the budget cap and the reliability issues early on. Better to take them in a race where overtaking is possible so you have a better chance to come from the back.

2 Likes

““Realistically speaking, unless there is something like a meteorite, I don’t see a girl coming into F1 in the next five years,” Domenicali said. “That is very unlikely.””

Doubling down:

““We believe that to be able to give the chance for girls to be at the same level with the guys, they need to be at the same age when they start to fight on the track,” he added”

It’s women, not girls, unless he’s taking about pre-teens getting a seat. And for second quote, you say girls and guys. Be consistent, girls and boys or guys and gals, Stefano.

Old dudes like me are facepalm and shouldn’t be allowed to speak anymore. Grr. This isn’t helping motorsport at all.

Rant off. Am willing to delete @KartingIsLife but I find this kind of dismissive talk about women in motorsports detrimental.

Back to arguing about slow versus fast karts plz

1 Like

Remember that Stefano’s first language isn’t English so sometimes when we are hard on Euros for the terms they use it’s a bit unfair since they aren’t privy to the microcosm of what is and isn’t acceptable here in the US. Hell for most of us here in the States it’s difficult to keep track of what is and isn’t okay to say anymore.

1 Like

Yah but his English is good enough to say “guys” which is a colloquialism.

So, nah.

1 Like

So no, not really. I’m a product of the 80s and all we did was demean and belittle like we breathed. We old guys deserve the discomfort of being fish out of cultural water.

That’s because US culture is devolving.

Let’s just steer this ship away from discussion of American cultural climate before we even start down that road.

Anyway, regardless of Domenicali’s language, he’s probably right. Chadwick would be the closest probably, after dominating W-Series since it began, but no one wants to take a shot with her. Part of W-Series’ problem is that the drivers are only being compared against each other in a vacuum, so we don’t actually know how well Chadwick would do in the larger ocean of F1-tier talent. I would like to see her get a shot though.

Calderon has made it furthest with her outings in F2 and IndyCar but she has been nowhere close in either.

screaming season 10 GIF

Probably a good idea. I don’t want to be the one who kills kartpulse.

Well we know how Chadwick would do outside the W series as she raced in F3 asian and the regional series.
It was unimpressive. The level in the W series is abysmal

Oprah, we need you to bankroll a run at f1. Finance the development of 1000 talented young women in racing and let’s see what happens over 20 years.

Yeah agree. Unfortunately about 3/4 of the grid is nowhere near the necessary level for European formula racing.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of coaching with female karters this summer, and I think it’s pretty interesting to see some stand-out differences in their mentality compared to their male counterparts. Being VERY general and painting with a very broad brush stroke with a limited sample size… the girls I’ve coached have all been very thoughtful drivers. Too thoughtful sometimes; most of them seem to lack that “red mist” mentality that some of the boys I coach have. But the girls remember everything that happens out there and they know what they and the kart are doing better. Half the boys I coach just black out when the visor shuts… So different strengths and weaknesses.

I wonder if there is room for improvement in how we develop female drivers from the get-go, by catering more to what their strengths are. Of course, all drivers of all genders have different strengths and weaknesses; you might have boys who overthink and girls who drive with reckless abandon, but I think it’s generally agreed that the male and female brain work quite differently and the way teams operate might cater more to one than the other.

I usually categorize drivers as “brain” or “heart” drivers. Either you use your brain and drive thoughtfully and meticulously, or you put your heart into it and drive with fire and passion. Complete drivers have the right dose of each, but you can be a good driver leaning more on one than the other. I tend to view girls as “brain” drivers usually, though I’ve seen a couple quite intimidating examples of aggressive and fiery female drivers.

This too. Once woman start competing with men in numbers of participants, that’s when we’ll see the best females come through. Until then, the odds are just minuscule with how many women are even participating compared to men.

Not a great example of a human being but…

“Morris was a tough-as-shit asskicker who won over twenty French national athletics titles in everything from boxing to shotput, earned over 50 medals for busting heads in national and international competition, took the field in over 200 professional soccer matches, placed first in almost two dozen auto and motorcycle long-distance endurance races, then responded to being barred for life from French sports by joining the Gestapo, terrorizing the French Resistance with a nail-studded whip, and then dying in a withering hail of machine gun fire when a joint British/French Commando raid peppered her supercharged sports car with enough ammunition to take down an F-15.”

Now just imagine if Babe Zaharias had gotten into motorsports, holy crap she would have been epic. She was insanely talented at, well, everything and was basically unstoppable. Also, was not a fucking Nazi or psychopath.

Very interesting read!

Scary, even! She was completely off her rocker but stuck it to the man, for sure. Double mastectomy to fit into her racecar.

It kind of bums me out that Zaharias whose accomplishments are mind blowing will get less clicks.

Here’s a tamer article about Violette Morris:

Good lord, today is a great example of why I should not be a mod. :grinning:

I foresee some fireworks with all those guys starting at the back! Should be interesting.

1 Like

Chalk another one off the bucket list

5 Likes

Spa!!! Woot! :checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag: How’s the view from the new stands?

Whoa hell yeah! Have fun!

Ill be there tomorrow too

2 Likes

So Piastri contract with Alpine has gone in front of the recognition board, Otmar is confident he’ll win the case and get to keep Piastri.

Couldn’t make it up :joy: