2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

The wheels aren’t parallel at all. Sure Kimi has a bit more overlap that Max had on Lewis, though only a little bit more, but I suspect Michael at this stage is a little more cautious given the fact that he does concede T2… because he knows there’s a car there. He understands driving straight at an apex, when a car is there, isn’t the best idea. He learnt that at Jerez.

Also this talk of being drivers being ‘pricks’ I find somewhat off. None of us knows Lewis or Max personally to make such a judgment.

I thought it was a racing incident as well. It’s tough to say who has claim for space because Max had position on the first part, Lewis had position on the right-hander, and neither yielded any room.

It’s a complex of three corners so there is ebb and flow and cars rapidly changing positioning relative to each other.

That’s a pure racing incident to me.

6 Likes

You’re comparing one big shunt to countless occasions of max driving lewis off.
Not saying Lewis never did anything, but it was pretty one sided over the season

You can get a fair sense of someone’s character based on what they say and how they interact with people…

There’s a difference between not leaving space to the outside at the exit of a corner and running into someone at the apex trying to make a pass (where he also missed the apex by a full car width).

It always sounds like people are mad Max isn’t leaving space at the exit when Lewis tries to hold the outside when being passed, something everyone here should know that you’re not entitled to that space when you are being overtaken. We should also know here if you try to make a pass and blow the apex, hitting the rear tire of the car you’re trying to overtake, you shouldn’t have made that pass to begin with.

Should we also remember Lewis has a habit of running into drivers inside rear tires from trying to run them off the track when he doesn’t have position in the corner even though he’s on the inside?

2 Likes

I would think a car being halfway alongside at turn in is enough coverage to establish that the inside vehicle has position in the corner. Max is certainly closer to Raikkonen’s position than being front wheel equal to rear wheel in the frames Alan shared.

1 Like

By no means was what Hamilton did in silver stone clean, but throughout the season verstappen did similar stuff over and over and over again.

At Brazil he ran Hamilton off the track countless times

And by that logic though everytime someone passes down the inside they should run the other driver off the track or into a wall

And it was also when Hamilton would try and pass him around the outside

It was pretty commonly accepted that the dirty driving between the two was far from 5050

If a driver doesn’t have established position on the outside, basically being ahead of the inside driver at the apex, then the outside driver doesn’t have a claim to the space at the exit of the corner. Street races are different with walls, but that’s more of a sportmans agreement than outright rules. Either way, it’s about established position through the corner.

Not sure where you got that from. That’s certainly not the common acceptance that I’ve seen.

Apart from the silver stone incident I heard very little outrage against Lewis, and constant outrage against max. That season is long past, so no point in bringing it up again

The race posted a good debrief of the max/ham thing. Essentially The Who’s at fault boils down to the FIA guidance issued to stewards at the beginning of the year. If an overtaking car’s front wheels are fully side by side at the apex, the car being passed is required to give room - if there’s contact it’s predominantly his fault. If the overtaking cars front wheel is not alongside or in front then the car being overtaken is not required to give room, contact = overtaking car predominantly at fault and receives penalty if there’s contact.

Cut and dried Max at fault, can’t really compare it against incidents prior to stewards blame a-portioning guidance . Shitty guidance, no such thing anymore as a racing incident they’ve made it equatable as to which driver is predominantly at fault, but there it is.

3 Likes

That’s just the nature of the story about the king being dethroned by the ‘usurper’. It’s the oldest story in time. Lewis got a TON of flack back in the 2007-2011 especially for his on-track behaviour (which was fine imo). It’s always about narrative in this game.

No you don’t. One thing I’ve learned about interacting with the media, and being there back in 2007 at a few events with Lewis Hamilton (as well as being around British karting and seeing almost all of the entire British grid pre-F1), is you don’t get a true sense of the character if it’s filtered through the media.

The only exception being Dan Wheldon… top bloke on TV and off it, well to me any way :slight_smile:

I said you can get a fair sense… when I met GR he was extremely kind and friendly, after the race, Lewis waved at fans and drove slowly so people could get pictures, max rushed out and hit someone with his car, windows up, no concern for the fans
I am also talking about 2021 Alan, not 2007, I was 4 in 2007, and was not watching f1. Lewis may have very well been a different person

I don’t think you can. While I am not famous, I’ve had enough exposure in karting to have a few people walk up to me knowing me and chatting randomly. It happened just the last weekend a couple of times from people who bought my magazine. Catch me in a bad moment and I might give the impression of being a dickhead (well that might be an accurate impression :rofl: ). I’ve also had people, due to a targeted campaign, not even know me or ever speak to me and announce me as a Grade A prick for reasons I have no idea. I’ve seen what they say. It’s very odd. But that’s what happens when interaction is limited and filtered through the media. We don’t have clear national biases for no reason.

This is why I am particularly sensitive about calling people insults like prick, if you really don’t know that person.

I tend to agree, Alan. My impulse is to hop on the “Max is a prick” train because I frankly dislike how he competes. It’s anathema to me, personally

That being said, I only see what I get to see ofMax in the context they want me to see it. He might be considerably different IRL.

It’s strange how most of f1 seems fairly chill, tho. Ricciardo, Raikonnen, etc.

I wouldn’t use that insult on someone I’ve never met, it’s definitely too strong of a judgment for someone you’ve never met

Based on fan interactions, raikkonen is actually a really nice guy, goes out of his way for his fans

Yeah that’s what I meant, he doesn’t take it or himself too seriously.

Again, depends how the media frame it.

When this happened he was lambasted for not even checking on the kid.

I am not saying here what he did was right or wrong (I think the women was particularly irresponsible here), but it depends whether you’re flavour of the week how you end up being perceived.

What are we thinking for the Season Finale?

I’m going with the new version of HAM-VER-BOT. I’m saying HAM-VER-RUS.
Ferrari makes a terrible strategy call again and Checo out scores Leclerc for P2 in the Championship.
Haas in the Top 10 to cement their position in the Constructor’s Championship.

2 Likes

Even with good stratagy I don’t think Ferrari have the pace of merc or reds Bull. They haven’t looked on pace for several races now.
I’m going with 2021 but opposite, at least hoping