2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Ferrari was as quick as Red Bull in race trim at Brazil so I think they could be okay.

Given the long straights though, I imagine this will be a Red Bull track.
I’m going to go VER > PER > SAI. I bet Max gets the lead early and Checo hangs out well clear of one of the Ferraris so team orders isn’t even an issue for Red Bull.

I think Merc will be too draggy for the long straights here to podium.

Long-shot pick but I bet Mick gets a great finish, just in time for his contract to get torn up and replaced with Hulk.

Ferrari haven’t contended for a win since Singapore, they are off the pace right now.
Ferrari also said they haven’t updated the car in a while because they have reached their spending limit.
I would also say Brazil is a very high speed track, and yet Mercedes’ still won. It’s elevation is only 700m, which really isn’t that much.

I’m with TJ, yes Bra is a reasonably fast circuit but it doesn’t have terribly long straight sections. Merc being naturally higher downforce wise it suits the car.

Latifi safety car lap 11

Really looking forward to this last race of the year. Hoping Alpha can keep their 6th place in the constructors over Aston who are 5 points behind them. Bottas has done well this year scoring nearly all of Alpha’s points.
Hamilton desperate for the win to keep his streak alive. Hope it’s a Max/Lewis battle (fair) at the front.

1 Like

Is the kart track named “knickers”?

I’ll take the under on that… :laughing:

Probably right. I think Red Bull will fly in Sector 2 with the two long straights, but Merc will be fast everywhere else. Hope we get a good show and the Top 6 don’t just end up with 10s gaps making it a Sunday cruise.

Red Bull will definitely be quicker than merc, but I’d say merc is the #2 team right now

The Hulk replacing Mick at HAAS for ‘23 confirmed

AD isn’t well renowned for producing the most exciting races, I’m not expecting much this year. Main focus will be Leclerc and Perez for P2 I think, and McL trying to finish both cars ahead of the Alpines. I think the front will be a bit meh but midfield battles should be where it’s at.

1 Like

This still baffles me. Hulk had his chance in F1 for years. They already tried the seasoned driver lineup with Mag and Gro. Seems so short sighted.

Mick crashed too much and made too many mistakes. Even when he wasn’t crashing, he made little mistakes like cutting the corner in Mexico qualifying where he had pace to maybe make Q3, which ruined his race. Or in the US where he destroyed his tires and couldn’t manage the degradation like Magnussen could. And Brazil was the final nail, when he was so far off KMag who proved the car can be Q3 in those conditions. In the mid-field you need someone who can consistently deliver. Hulk is a bit of an uninspired choice but he’s consistent as they come and mature and proved he still has it with his substitute appearances.

He will likely stick around for a couple years and then age out, but it gives Haas time to start competing and being more consistent now that they have a title sponsor and two drivers who hopefully will pick up points more regularly.

I also read Mick was shopping around for a new seat early in the year already and this pissed off Guenther because he didn’t think he was committed to the team enough. Then Mick totaled a few cars and really dug himself a hole.

2 Likes

I agree, the move seems more of a safe but recouping deal. Easily save millions by not binning a car 3-4 time a year and pick up additional millions by finishing farther up the field in constructor points.

Better position themselves for a newer, young driver in 2-3 years.

I think a lot of people’s opinions are shaped by whether they like a driver or not. Who comes across well on TV and in the media, but F1 is a tough game and nice guys don’t always win.

Magnussen had a year out of F1, dropped in at the last minute and has performed pretty damn well. Combine the big crashes and it was always going to be tough for Mick.

I guess I don’t mean keep Mick, but why go back to Hulk? So much potential talent out there as reserve drivers or F2 drivers. Seems like settling for an average to good driver which they already have. No risk taking in someone up and coming.

I kinda assumed the car was at fault since neither Mick nor Nikita could keep it pointing forwards. That same car had the pace for p3 recently?

Picking rookies hasn’t gone well for Haas. They want experience and maturity and don’t want to waste more money dealing with a rookie who crashes cars. In the mid-field it’s hard to justify a rookie when you have a small budget and need every point you can get.

But I do tend to agree that Hulk is a bit of a boring choice. Maybe a decent choice, but still boring.

The 2021 car was a dog yes, but the 2022 car is a completely different car.

It wasn’t fast enough for P3, it was fast enough for Q3 with KMag around 8th or so and then his lucky pole lap in Brazil.

2 Likes

This lack of awareness is possibly why I am faring so poorly in the KP f1 league.

I didn’t want to say it but… :sweat_smile: