2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

TJ, money can’t buy you happiness.

I will be enriched by the journey or something

Hehe he better treat her good

Yes likewise. With no incentive to fight below top eight (points scorers) I expect P11 downwards to either just circulate or retire. No point pushing and risking the car for zero gain.

P9/10 will push to get into top 8, aside from that I don’t expect much.

1 Like

Now the Pandora’s Box has opened over sprint races I do expect reverse grids at some point. It’s all on the to-do board I am sure. I think the idea is detestable in an elite level sport. This is half the problem with sprints. They’ve given licence to “what we should do” suggestions, and it just soon become a mess of ideas and discussion that really does nothing but devalue the Sunday Grand Prix.

It’s like football deciding to do a 5 aside a day before the actual league game where you can gain an extra half point or something.

3 Likes

My Dad used to say:
“Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you a better class of misery.”

Eastbound and down:

“I’ve never seen anyone crying on a jet ski.”

1 Like

Well that was something…

We learned the tires don’t last very long, other than that - meh.

Someone on Reddit (the_fallensoldier) did a write up that I thought was good:

4 star general looks at Logan and nods “Sergeant Logan” “General Scott” “We need you back Logan. We have a mission for you” “I’m done with that life sir. I’m retired now and living my best life. Get Lance to do it, last I heard he was doing the odd militia job every now and then.” “I already contacted everyone, son. They’re all gone” “What? How? When? Why?” “Calm down, son. I’m sorry. They were at a bar together and someone with bleached hair asked them who their favorite driver at Williams is, and they answered with you. Next thing you know the entire bar was blown up. There is no trace left of the location” “There is only one man who would do this, you’ll regret this Alex”

April 30, 2023, Baku circuit, Azerbaijan. Logan is standing next to his teammate, Alex Albon, the killer of Logan’s army brethren. The race starts, Logan and Albon are 13th and 15th on the grid respectively. Logan calls in a sniper shot, which takes out Valtteri Bottas’ halo, and barely grazes Albon’s helmet. Albon knows they are onto him, with the speed of a Red Bull dressed up as a Williams, Albon flies off into the distance. Logan speeds up trying to catch up but it is too much. He takes out a flare gun, points at the sky and shoots. Suddenly all the lights go out, flocks of Eagles come flying down blocking everyone’s visibilty while America’s National Anthem is played in all driver comms at blaringly loud volumes, deafening everyone. The spectators are in awe at what is happening on the circuit. All drivers crash. However, from the flurry of birds Fernando Alonso emerges at position one. Behind him, Logan and Albon are side by side, barely missing each other through T4. Approaching T5, Logan is forced wide, he cuts the corner and re enters the track grazing Albon’s rear right wheel.

Logan takes it easy for the rest of the lap, not allowing Albon out of his sight but not making any moves, as they approach T3 and go onto the straight, Logan activates the rockets on the rear of the car, going Mach 5, reaching Albon in less than 2 tenths of a second from 500 meters back. As he looks Albon in the eyes, a grenade launcher emerges from his arm, he points at the car and shoots.

The explosion was heard all around Azerbaijan. The threat was effectively neutralized. F15s fly over the circuit, Logan is hailed as a hero, eagles squawk everywhere, the national anthem is played and Joe Biden hands Logan a prize of 55 Trillion dollars for his bravery. Azerbaijan was turned to dust. The only man alive at the time of the explosion was Alonso. Who was crowned the WDC for 2023 as all other drivers are out of commission. All part of El Plan. Logan reaches to the back of his head, and presses the off button. Logan has completed his life’s purpose.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/132nwh3/race_marshall_checking_out_logan_sargeant/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

It does look like she’s trying to do a hair flip, check your nails kind of moment.

Gasly is not producing much results here. Not his fault but he’s been struggling.

Max griping over the radio about getting pushed into the wall…

You weren’t pushed Max, you drove into it. :sunglasses:

I swear, these guys can never be at fault in their own minds. Typical racers.

Max talking about “always leaving the space” is a bit ironic. Also, the expect it back threat is cute. Max, we’re going racing!

I think Alonso should go on a date with Taylor and go drive one of those two-seater karts. That will tell him wether they should marry.She’s gonna need to do a sub 53 if she has any hope.

1 Like

Sprint races are a truly dreadful addition to F1. Saddest thing is we’re never going back and we’ll get more.

1 Like

I think the sprint is just unnecessary and it doesn’t add anything really… If we are stuck with it, I like that the finishing order no longer sets the grid for the Grand Prix, but it seems absurd to have two qualifying sessions. Can’t they just use Friday practice to set the grid for the sprint? Especially since the ridiculous idea of scrapping practice has been floated because people apparently fail to see the point since there is no “winner.” I didn’t watch the sprint “shootout” but I am cringing thinking about the horrible US commentators (I think we get Sky TV coverage with Ted Kravitis, David Croft, and Martin Brundle) contorting themselves to avoid calling P1 “pole position.” They really are just terrible. Brundle is the only one that is close to bearable but if he says says the phrase “under-rotate” to describe a lock up again I am going have to switch to baseball until ESPN sorts some other coverage out. Bring back Steve Matchett and David Hobbs!

1 Like

Good race by Checo, got helped a bit by the safety car but was looking to challenge anyhow. Looked to take good care of his tires. Interesting that at the end Alonso and Leclerc were on the same pace as the red bulls.

1 Like

I can never tell how I did… I am guessing I came out a little ahead this week? Subtract red from green?

It shows your most recent points total from the weekend when you view the league.

Well I enjoyed the start of the weekend. Friday was chaos as everyone had to hussle and hit the track and qually was frantic. I liked the shorter shootout qualifiying session. Sprint race was okay and Sunday’s race was meh. Baku never really puts on a good race. I think the sprint format should be at a real track and not a street circuit where it’s basically impossible to pass. Only passin in Baku is T1 and maybe T3 if you didn’t get it done in T1.

I enjoyed it, but I’m not sold on Fridays qualifying sets the order for Sunday. Prefer the old format of Quallify for sprint and finishing order of sprint determines Sundays order. More like a traditional race weekend with heats and finals.

I normally like Baku, but today Barber MSP with Grosjean and Mclaughlin battling it out, and then Power, the Indycar race was much more interesting to watch.

Still, a great job by Checo.

2 Likes

Well that weekend just solidified why I don’t like verstappen

1 Like

Well after the four week break I was amped up and ready for some action, sadly not that much. Great job from Perez though keeping Max at bay. Too bad for LeClerc just a sitting duck, at least he got on the podium. Miami next week, I’ll try not to cringe too much if they have the fake marina and other pointless gimmicks again.

1 Like

Haha for sure they’ll have the Marina. They get paid far too much for it to consider dropping the idea :sweat_smile:

1 Like