2024 Formula 1 Season Discussion

Walls aren’t mentioned ever in the rules though. I agree that it was a stupid move and a deserved penalty, but why are there hidden rules for walls vs no walls? If there’s gravel on the exit, there’s still consequences for the outside driver, so why are walls different

Because racing is not black and white, it’s grey.

That might’ve been a penalty on a real track too. Ocon did send it and even if there was gravel or grass I’m not sure Gasly would’ve had time to do anything and still would’ve gotten clipped.

If the track has run off, Gasly has a chance to avoid the collision. With walls instead of run off, Gasly did all he could to avoid the collision and Ocon is required to also avoid the collision more and he didn’t.

3 Likes

They should have had a Race in 10 today. Parade as expected.

Max Verstappen claimed was “so boring” he wish he had “brought my pillow”.

Spoilers are out! I feel like McLaren made a bad judgment call not Pitting Lando with 15 to go. George was coming up on traffic, Max and Lewis were far enough behind. Worst case was a net-zero, best case McLaren double Podiums! Why not take the chance?

It was marginal. They needed 21 second minimum and would prefer more to be safe, but they only got it to just over 20 sec before George started to hustle again and close the gap. I was disappointed because I wanted to see them go for it. Very well managed by Charles and Ferrari though to back the pack up into Russell to keep the McLarens from jumping into the pits.

Glad to see Charles win but typical Monaco borefest🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

I like to see the strategy and management at Monaco on Sunday. The red flag basically negated any strategy unfortunately, but watching Charles mind the gap to Russell to keep McLaren from getting a free stop was fascinating. I like the tension of Monaco. I know when they are driving around 4 sec off the pace to save tires it really isn’t that exciting but running nose to tail without hitting the walls for 78 laps is a tense thing to watch in my opinion. Any moment something pretty huge could happen and flip the race.

Unless it rains, that usually doesn’t happen though.

I am getting tired of the people circlejerking around the Gasly/Ocon situation and the narrative that Ocon is not a teamplayer and is crashing all his teammates.
Perez was not a clean driver and is still not clean to this day. Alonso is ruthless as well and didn’t mind fighting with Ocon. But somehow it is 100% Ocons fault all the time. While he made a mistake at Monaco, I cannot blame him for trying.

Alonso is old so he’s expected to bully. It’s reverse ageism.

But Ocon routinely makes contact with his teammates. Alonso doesn’t.

Perez also has a history of hitting teammates. Ocon and Perez together was a recipe for disaster.

Sounds like Alpine is debating benching Ocon for Canada and putting Doohan in. Seems extreme but I think Ocon is trying to find a new seat for next year and I think Alpine is trying to make Gasly feel warm and cozy so he will stay, because I think he wants to leave Alpine too.

1 Like

It was just such a dumb mistake. I don’t get why he drifted across and hit Gasly (granted I’ve only looked at one replay). The move seemed to be done and it was actually a good move.

But, he does crash into all his team mates (and occasionally leaders trying to unlap himself lol). Alonso is relatively infamous for flirting with the margins in close combat but not going over the margin (but occasionally does). Gasly, I can’t think of an instance where he hit a team mate. Perez is feisty, but so is Verstappen and they both expect people to move out of the way to avoid an incident.

I agree, I found the management of pace interesting but maybe it takes a certain mind. Even Russell suddenly using pace when he needed to. Wife was falling asleep but she’s a massive Hamilton fan so its been a pretty difficult few years for her lol.

And with Monaco when someone does overtake its amazing, like Bottas, or even when Stroll was working through on his softs.

1 Like

Hot take. Monaco should stay because it’s so unforgiving of mistakes and shows the accuracy ability of the drivers.

Even if the racing is “boring”

As for Ocon, I think the risk va reward was not there but it’s easy for me to say from my lay back chair.

3 Likes

I think the fans are pretty split 50/50 with regards to whether Monaco deserves a spot and personally I get both arguments for and against.

2 Likes

Well in an earlier I post said it was a borefest and I stand by that. I know there is immense concentration required to hit your marks every lap but when you are running 3-4 seconds off the pace it must make that a lot easier!
I do not think it should be removed from the calendar however as it is one of the classics and the qualy is still exciting:)

2 Likes

I thought this may be of interest. It is a digital remaster of a 1962 movie about Monaco. What makes it fascinating is how realistic it makes the old footage, making it oddly more lifelike. It’s hard to describe but the effect makes you feel as if you are watching Damon Hill saunter across the pits in real life, today, as opposed to 60 years ago. The footage isn’t jerky like films from the old days, it’s smooth like GoPro 4k.
The driving looks great, too, it’s kind of the highlight because it feels like you are in the past. The old version of the city and track, but feels like today.
One gets the impression that there’s ai or something involved when you see the people and the cars. It’s a bit surreal, a bit too lifelike. It’s kind of amazing, though, and well worth a watch, if just for the views of older Monaco and these beautiful cars.

No kerbs

6 Likes

These 2026 regulations may or may not have saved F1 even though this season is really exciting, 2026 is going to be an interesting season

Lance takes us around Montreal

Here are Lance Stroll’s favourite ways to spend a weekend in his beloved Montreal.

1. Crash his car
  2. block of alonso as much as he can
  3. accidentally rear end on a safety car

just jokes but after fp1 and fp2 i feel like he may have a chance to be in the top 5 this weekend

This ought to be interesting. Lewis for the win.

1 Like