First ventures on track post covid

Great footage though - on the gas at or before every apex exactly as it should be :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thankfully not!! I did read in the Supplemental Rules before racing was shut down again, that face masked were required when inside any building. Post race weigh-in requires rolling through the Tech Barn, so if you pull your lid you better have a mask ready. Hopefully a Dry one!

We ran at one race at NTK post the initial shutdown. They didn’t make the drivers put a mask on rolling through the tech barn. Most places, the rules read tougher and stricter than what you actually experience. Most racers are appropriately distanced when at the track.

When I went for first practice after lockdown, I was completely exhausted, it was crazy hot! No way I could wear that thing within like half an hour of taking my lid off, without suffocating :rofl:

I had a feeling that would be the case, but respectively I think that may be part of why subsequent races have been cancelled. Too many not following the guidelines increases the risk factors for all. Don’t get me wrong, I am usually huffing and puffing after a long main and the last thing I want to do is put on a constrictive mask either. However, to convince the powers above we must all play are part. Otherwise, we will all get temp screens at the gate and denied entrance if we are a point over normal.

We get that too from the start, along with the mask.

It’s the same with my workers on our construction projects. I tell them they can be a part of the solution or a part of the problem. We are going to be dealing with this virus for some time, and if wearing a mask helps keep the track open, sign me up.

2 Likes

Team training tomorrow…

:hot_face::muscle:t3::sweat_smile:

Though it’s nothing like Abu Dhabi, we’ve been in the 90s here in NJ. Lots of rain. Veggies happy. Everything growing like mad.

1 Like

Tomorrow will actually be quite nice, only 25% humidity.

Yas Kartzone 51 flat, could be faster my sprocket is still too small, only getting up to 14k rpm. Braking a bit gingerly too - too much dust on the track, didn’t take last turn anywhere near wide enough :rofl:

1 Like

Nice. What engine package are you running? ROK GP?

CRG KT2 / IAME x30. Great package.

Is that the new one-piece pipe? Saw they were updating.

It is, mandatory for the race series I run.

Is that a 360 cam? 20
Char

I can’t wait for it to be a thing in the states. I absolutely hate dealing with flex.

Looks like it was postponed another year (until 2022) due to the pandemic.

https://www.superkartsusa.com/about/skusa-news/3120-x30-platform-updates-postponed-to-2022.html

1 Like

Is it just the exhaust? I’m surprised they waited so long, it’s been mandatory for us since the start of 2019 - I never even drove with the flex exhaust, when I chopped my Rotax in mid 2019 it wasn’t even available here, obsolete already.

I was able to get on-track for some open practice last Saturday for the first time since SuperNats back in November. I knocked some rust off, shook down my equipment, and gathered some data to use for a coaching session the next day.

I wanted to get some GoPro footage but forgot to get camera mounting hardware. However, I did get to wear my WHOOP fitness tracker for the first time while karting. I was really curious to see how it would measure the physicality of real driving rather than just the sim racing I was able to do this winter. Also cool that they’ve added “Motor Racing” as a selectable activity now when logging your workouts. I had seen a couple IndyCar guys post their WHOOP data after a race on Instagram before so I was interested to see how karting stacked up.

Now I know why I just want to take naps all day Sunday on race weekend.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the WHOOP, it’s basically measuring your heart rate and heart rate variability to measure “Strain” or cardio output. It measures other things too, but not applicable here.

Strain is based on duration of exertion and heart rate. A maximum daily strain is 21, which would require you to be in your peak heart rate zone for most of a 24 hour period. It’s all on a weighted scale (hence three separate 13-14 Strain activities resulting in an overall 19.8 for the day). 19.8 is my highest daily strain so far, since using the band for the past several months, and it was only 3 sessions of driving. I would imagine a full race day would be more. For comparison, my usual 30-40 minute bike rides are typically around 10-12 Strain.

I knew that it was exhausting to drive all weekend obviously, but it’s cool to have a number to put to it now to compare it with other activities. Excited to see what level we get to on a real race weekend where adrenaline is higher and the amount of physical activity is higher.

2 Likes