Groundbreakers: Unique and unusual Racing kart Chassis Designs

Maybe you mean longitudinally (ie front to rear)?
I’m not sure how much difference it really made… I can’t imagine it would add a lot of F/R stiffness\rigidity.

I doubt its a patent issue.

More likely they didn’t see a benefit or the addition hit their bottom line more than they wanted.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I really doubt as well that there is much flex in that direction. I wondered what those tabs were for, at least I know now. :slight_smile:

Theoretically, since the chassis “waist” is the narrowest segment, it would be relatively more inclined to flex there, even in that plane. The mystery is how much, & what effect - if any - does it have?

Have you guys seen the ikarts? Only been around a few years as far as I know and the owner recently passed away. But they are just a little different from one end to the other. Here is a photo, then a link to see more:

http://ikartindy.com/ik-competition-products-rolling-chassis/

2 Likes

Looks expensive. Some pretty fancy parts on there. Ive never seen a brake system like that before

me seeing that and now looking at the regulations

iKart had some really cool stuff. Very unique take on things. Shame the owner passed away.

The ikart looks really interesting!
From the point of view of being able to change things without having to drill more holes in $350 seats,
pedals look awesome too.

The vertical seat adjustment bracket is unique to iKart. My question is how lateral adjustment would work? Doesn’t appear that those plates will flex much.

I thought I read here that someone was taking over the business & would keep it going.

Seat spacers I would guess?

Perhaps, but that creates offset from the bracket, introducing some leverage, & the bolt diameter would need to be sufficient to handle it. Certainly doable.

I’d love to have that iKart seat system on a kart! The adjustable wheelbase is sure interesting, but not sure of the benefit. Is it truly to use different wheelbases for different tracks? Or just to allow growth from junior to senior classes?

1 Like

It’s a tuning tool, not unique to the iKart. Shorter wheelbase will make the kart snappier. On a twisty track or a track with sharp direction changes, a shorter wheelbase might make it navigate those sections better.

I remember when I was driving the “special material” ART GP karts, they had adjustable wheelbase. When the kart was completely used up (after like 2-3 weekends), it stopped working or responding to changes. To get through the weekend we shortened the wheelbase up, hoping to get it to start reacting to inputs again. It worked well enough to get through that weekend.

I’ve made a few posts trying to find out what kart I had, but no luck yet. Looks pretty vintage and I just picked it up. Let me know what you guys think

My eyes are getting so bad, is that a floor tank I see There in the front of the kart? It lookks somewhat like one I made for the Emmic kart. A real close up would help. Hard to tell who’s kart it is, mid-70s there were a lot of copycats. lol

I wonder who was the first to do what I consider the now standard design.images

The only change since early 2000s was removal of 4th rail and additional width of the chassis overall.

I think it was in 1969, Richard Burton imported a Zip chassis. In those days they used brazing rod, and they didn’t hold up very well, so Richard talked Gary Nelson into building a copy. Thus the Invader kart was born. 2 or 3 years after that, being very unhappy with my Margay, I built a kart, I called it the Mayko Shark.

Tecno Piuma 1963 I woulda thought - How much pleasure can a Tecno Piuma bring? | Kart News

1 Like

Any ideas? Someone I know from autocross just bought this and payed way too much for it in my opinion considering the seller sold every component on it first. And cut the 3rd bearing hanger off based on other pictures he sent me from before it was powdercoated.