How do you Transport Your Kart? [Pic Topic]

There are folks who make that work. I’d imagine someone at your track has solved this problem. I admire your new kart. That’s what I drive too.

3 Likes

jack the nose of the trailer up then roll the kart onto the ramp. put the nose of the trailer on the hitch, and then place a block of wood or cinderblock under the ramp and roll it straight on.

at least that’s how i might tackle that. but I have rolled my kart on to those types of trailers. probably to the detriment of the paint on the frame, though.

1 Like

I will say that it’s never really a good idea to go to the track by yourself, in case something happens and you need someone to call medical services. So if you did run this way, there should be someone who could help you lift it out of the trailer.

Just turns into a PITA at that point.

1 Like

Alternative method to consider/try.
I think the high tailgate / ramp will just get in the way as well as being heavy. I would get it off…Then. Unloading: Leaving the trailer on the hitch, stand behind the trailer and pull the kart back, keeping it horizontal , until the front wheels are just about to drop off the trailer. Lower the back wheels on to the ground.
You should be able to lift the front a touch ,roll the kart backwards and lower the front to the ground.
Loading:Trailer on hitch. Roll kart up to back of trailer. Lift front of kart on to trailer bed. Go round to back of kart , lift back up horizontal ,and roll kart forwards into position . Tie in place.
I found that unhitching the trailer left it out of control.
Worked okay for me solo with a vee twin and others but my karts weren’t as pretty as yours.!

1 Like

Just get some thin plywood to line the ramp gate. That way it wont wreck the frame of your kart. You should be able to get it up by lifting the one end of the kart up and pushing/pulling. That’s what I normally do with ours when nobody is around
to help lift it onto the stand.

1 Like

Thanks for the feed back everyone. All good stuff.
I’m actually thinking of modifying a movers dolly or just making one with some scrap wood and maybe some rubber tire casters. Lift the cart from one end, kick the dolly under the chassis and push it off that way. I’m sure i will get more tips from the others at the track once I can start going. Or just ask someone there for some help loading / unloading. :smiley:

So I’ve had a karting van that I’ve used for years, but it’s a converted passenger van. The wife and I have started talking about looking for a sprinter van much like this one.

It’s a little ways away in the budget, but we live in apartments, and neither of us like towing.

2 Likes

Using the ceiling for storage like that is clever. I did not think of that.

1 Like

I’d probably bolt it wrong and break something, but something light like a bumper makes total sense.

1 Like

I’ve done a lot of research on Sprinter-style vans for karting. From what everyone tells me, make sure you get the long wheel-base one if you choose to go that route. You can pack a ton of crap in there.

1 Like

Good tip.
I actually looked at a shorter wheel base one last week and it definately needed more space.

The high ceiling is great too, because then you can lean karts vertically against the wall and have the floor open for everything else.

I talked to a buddy a couple weeks ago about his tricked out Benz Sprinter, and he transports two karts, six engines, spares, E-Z ups, and still has room on the floor for the kid to take a nap on long drives.

1 Like

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Two karts would be the maxiumum that I’d ever want to carry solo anyway.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Idk what I like more, the karts or that truck.

2 Likes

Here’s my setup. A couple of aluminum 1x1 square stock cut to the width of the bed, bolted to heavy duty steel L brackets that get bolted to the truck bed rail. Have the full beds worth of storage underneath the kart that holds the kart stand, fuel container, wheel bags, tool box, front bumper, two totes with all spares/tools/cleaning supplies, etc. This trip is a bit light for packing, but I have the entire inside of the truck to move stuff inside and add more if needed.

1 Like

This was a few years back. We have changed things a bit since these days but still pretty similar.

Picked up a 6x12 a couple weeks ago and finally got it all setup and ready today. Still lots of misc junk that will get thrown in there for race day, and need to mount d-rings in the floor now that the layout is settled but I’m happy with how it stands now.

5 Likes

Andy looks good! One thing to note, on your toolbox they make some rubber pads that are like $19 to go around the edges. I have found they do a really good job of protecting the toolbox. You can pick them up at Harbor freight usually they are sitting with the tool cart displays. I added them to my kart box to give it some protection

2 Likes

I really have liked and wanted to do something like this. Except maybe instead of bolting to bed rail, actually put on top of bed rail and bolt to legs that would go inside the openings on top of the bed rail. Front and rear of bed.

I have an 18’ trailer but sometimes it’s nice to just truck bed over to the track.

1 Like