IAME KA100 Reviews and Feedback

It’s interesting looking at you guys and your thoughts on this motor. We have ran the Ka100 for 2 years and have found it to be a great motor. As we have had it longer down here engine builders have had a long time to play with it and you will rarely find an egt probe on any exhausts. Nearly everyone runs a lambda probe. The tillotsen Carby works great compared to the garbage we first had to endure. From the lambda we can get the tune to the figures we are after with ease. These motors are all about the tune and I have read somewhere regarding gearing being of little relevance, this is correct. You can drop 6 teeth and have a similar time. The variations between different drivers gearing can be huge but it works. More time is spent looking however at low end rpm rather than top. As for maintenance we shouldn’t but most disconnect the kill switch as it has caused small issues at times. The less electrical the less issues. Rarely any plugs getting fouled. You want to look at your bottom end bearings most here change them to something more substantial, not ceramic they are illegal. Drop off from top end starts about 6-8hrs before you should maybe look at piston and rings. Most competitors will use iritops. Overall the engine is strong quick & robust and you don’t hear many failures at all and if they let go it’s usually the standard maintenance hasn’t been kept up. Competition wise it’s really coming down to driver and setup which is a win in karting.

4 Likes

Bubbling this thread back up, because I’m hoping that we see more KA100 growth in the PNW.
As much as I enjoy running my X30, I would like to see a two stroke that is more affordable to run.

I just think that we need to have more people up in my area running it, and most people informed about what’s available. (As well as other karting politics. :wink: ) lol

Davin. Marco worked out a deal with ROK? offering new engine packages with basically a season of races thrown in as a package.

The last race I did a couple months ago I noticed that the 100s and lo mixed field was an actual field of like 8 now as opposed to 3-4.

So that worked.

So I know that in our region, the guys who “took over” the IKF races tried to offer a similar program with the KA100s their replacement for the Can-Am races. From what I understand, they offered a free rental of the KA100 for the weekend, and then a discounted price for the engine, if you bought it there after the weekend was over.

In principle, I thought it was a really great idea. Basically meant that if you were willing to bolt on an engine yourself over the weekend, all you had to really pay for was tires and fuel, unless you blew the engine up.

A team of mine raced one of the races, and said that the deal was attractive. Personally, I think that’s a great idea too, but basically no one showed up to the races. (I totally understand, not making the club racer a guinea pig to see if a class is going to get off the ground. I’ve done that before, and it hurts the pocket book.)

Personally, I think they did a lousy job at marketing and social media to attract people to the races there, so they had super small fields, and so no one saw them. (Now, to be fair they were also the last ones on the calendar, and whole bunch of other issues, but very very minimal promotion pre, during and post races, basically meant that no one showed up. That’s a rant for another day.)

Frustrating, because a class like 100cc is a great middle ground for those who want to go faster than 206, but don’t want X30 rebuild costs. Also some of the drivers like myself who can’t get the seat as often to be super fast in TAG or who are older.

What is the timing set at for that temp reading?

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have been running the KA for a while now.

For someone like me who is looking to move into the KA100 class next season and has never run 2 stroke karts before, (moving up from Lo206) what is some feedback and tips for getting started?

Should be an easy move up. Since you’re a 4-stroke guy moving to 2-strokes, remember to add oil to your gas. We run 40 ounces of oil to five gallons of gas, or 8 oz of oil per gallon of gas.
Recommend going to an O-ring chain with an appropriate lub. The engine comes with a 219 10-tooth driver. The 10-tooth works well at most tracks, except for one’s with very long straights.
An EGT sensor in the exhaust pipe is not a must, but would recommend one. In leu of an EGT sensor, you’ll have to read the color of your plug and exhaust.
And you can probably run the engine right of the box. Think TJ has done that. The engine comes with a reliable clutch so there are no issues there.
As for max RPM’s, I’d say that’s up for debate. 15.K is safe, but heard some people turn them much higher and some lower.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Feedback… Class is super fun. Fast enough to keep you on your toes and keep you busy behind the wheel, but not as harsh a ride as X30. Fast enough that driver fitness is going to play a role in long finals, unlike 206.

Maintenance is certainly going to increase if you are coming from 206. Plugs and carb kits are going to be needed. You will stretch chains every so often. No more messing with clutches, though… Just keep it clean and keep the roller bearing lubed. IMO, an EGT sensor is a necessity if you want to get the most out of the motor and you don’t have years of 2-stroke experience. And you will need to get comfortable tuning the carb. 206 is typically a set it and forget it type of deal… 2-stroke is not. That being said, the motor is not finicky at all. It tends to fire right up and run decently regardless of the tune. If the increased maintenance aspect seems a bit daunting at first, just know that there are lots of people around that will be glad to help point you in the right direction.

I think KA is going to be pretty big next year in Texas. It is a good time to jump in.

3 Likes

I really wish that the Northwest would pick up on this class, but we don’t really have the extra headcount to support a new class right now. :frowning:

David, a couple of years ago, we had fields of over 30 Yamahas in our series. As soon as the KT was allowed, most of the KT drivers switched. Just moving to an engine with a more reliable clutch made it with it. But if you guys want to still run Yamahas, let me know. I’ve got one on the shelf and I’ll bet there are many more in the Midwest that do as well.

Do it Gage. I know you’ll be racing with us, but it will be a fun time. I think it will be a decent size class next year around here because there seems to be several ready to move over from the Jr. 206 class, or coming up from Mini. Also, don’t be afraid to ask us for help when we’re at the track.

Here in Texas, it wasn’t big at all, until halfway through the year. One series here, the Texas Sprint Race Series, did not have a junior class until the 3rd round, and then had at least 6 each of the final 3 rounds, whereas the seniors had no more than 4 until the final round that had 10. Keep trying and it might catch on.

1 Like

Hahaha. I wish my name was David, sometimes. :wink:

So sorry, Davin.
Additional characters here so post meets minimum length requirements.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Experimenting with KA100 Ignition Timing

Does anyone know if the setup for the blueprint (port height) and carb are different from Jr. to Sr spec…or is it literally throw in the exhaust restrictor to change the spec?

I ask because a couple of engines that have come on the market recently are Jr. spec but attractive deals if they are easily converted to Sr.

Just a restricted part on the header. I think it’s still the same pipe just and insert that closes it off a bit.

Id love to get into KA next season, are there any races in the North East area? (MA, NY, NJ etc)

The east coast is more Vortex VLR territory. Equally good package though.

As it was stated, the only difference is the header.