IAME KA100 Reviews and Feedback

OVRP in Middletown NY runs 100cc light and heavy classes (KA and VLR). FSeries State Championship in NJ (Englishtown & Millville) run a mixed Yamaha & 100cc class as well. Not big turn outs big turnouts but they are trying to grow them.

3 Likes

@E13 they did the vortex deal last year and now there’s fields of 8 for the 100cc, I hear. Pretty sure Marco has something coming for 2020 because when I ran into him, he intimated it.

Everyone around here runs tag, mostly rotaxes leopards and x30’s. I have only seen 2-3 yamahas and haven’t seen any ka/vlr’s (long island karting and ovrp)

Ok thank you! I’ll try and make my way to one this year.

The only thing that throws me off f tag right now is the price. I think I might have to suck it up and get one because ka doesn’t seem to be growing here.

try to find a used leopard package or rotax. they can be had for under $1000 and sometimes as cheap as $500. You can always upgrade the rotax or switch motors if you want something faster later.

Leopards go for 300 to 500 complete around here when they come up for sale.

ill look into that, thanks

Finally pulled the trigger on a KA today.

What intervals are you guys doing plugs and carb kits at?

I start each weekend with a fresh carb kit and plug but that’s overkill.

2 Likes

Same routine as TJ’s.

I’ve done carb kit about every 3-4 races, and plugs about the same. Guess I am a little on the other spectrum, but I also know that my driver (daughter) has more to gain in her driving than what fresh carb and plug give her. I also clean the top of the piston every 3-5 hours.

1 Like

True, it may be overkill, but the price of the new parts is a very very small percentage of your weekend expenses. I like your plan!

4 Likes

Those of you using an external starter, is there a “bit” or fitting for the coleman lightweight starters that can be purchased directly for the KA’s starter nut? I’m not seeing one. If you’ve created your own please share what you’ve used to construct said attachment.

Also, any baseline gearing help for New Castle or GoPro would be great help if it’s not giving away any trade secrets.

Thanks,
Andy

If you have a starter shaft that has a combo end, simply attach a 17mm socket. Most are secured with electrical or :duck: tape.
Start around 11/77 for New Castle and go from there.

@Tony_Z perhaps worth clarifying for our racer here the size of the shaft attachment for a socket. Pretty sure it’s usually 3/8” drive?

I just need to find the starter attachment with a 3/8 end so that it’ll accept the 17mm socket. The bit currently on mine is a 5/16 hex for Yamaha starter nut.

I see Coleman starters with the 3/8 and 17mm options I just don’t see the bits separate. Means they are out there I just need to call around and dig deeper to get my hands on one.

1 Like

Andy, I should have at least one spare one, some where. Five bucks plus shipping. Let me know if you’re interested. Give me a couple of days to find it.

Looking to get into KA. Running Yamaha now so I need a motor mount. Any recommendations? Flat or angled? Material? Brand?
Also, what is the preferred mix oil?

We just got the 5 degree odenthal sliding mount and it works great so far.

Almost everyone I know of runs 8oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

3 Likes