(k)ART pulse

It’s kind of learnable, though. I can’t draw either but I did a serious drawing class at age 30. They begin the semester by having you do a self portrait and end the semester with a follow up attempt.

It’s really freaky how even a non-talented artist can become become mildly competent (in comparison).

It’s a bit like time trial. The more times you take that apex and the more “happy accidents” you have, the more you learn.

Happy little trees, folks… faster laptimes.

I just caught this and approve of this. Accurate Warren summary. I’ll bet he did, actually, and it worked.

1 Like

@Bimodal_Rocket, in a happy coincidence I was just thinking today how similar art and driving are for me.

The actual physical skills of either are relatively simple, but the mental or perceptual skills are much more challenging. For example, putting pencil or brush to paper is pretty easy, but when drawing or painting, I find it quite difficult at times to go beyond creating obvious symbolic representations of what I’m drawing. I have to constantly remind myself that “I’m not drawing an eye (a symbol)”, I’m observing and replicating shapes, forms, tones, hues, etc, that when observed, help the viewer use their perception to create an ‘impression’ of an eye. If I just “draw an eye” it doesn’t look real to a viewer, it looks like a symbol or cartoon of an eye.

I find driving to be similar (although I am both the artist and the viewer). That is, braking, turning, rotating, etc, can be experienced on a more surface level (like a symbol for the action/intention), or it can be done/experienced on deeper levels where the intention/experience is created by understanding/manipulating the underlying energy, intention, forces, etc. needed to accomplish the objective. When done at deeper levels, it creates a more “real” level of perception/feel for what the car is doing and what the driver is creating and/or experiencing by fiddling with the the brakes, steering & throttle.

Of course, I may be full of :poop: :grin:

1 Like

You are the only person in the world who could write this, and not be full of shit

1 Like

Haha I recall this from drawing class. It’s true how in drawing you are actually looking at the light and darkness and representing that, not the eye itself. I would Find it hard to not just draw an eye instead of concentrating on shadows/light.

Speaking of KART:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce0Zci6tYsU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The kartrepublic team made a really nice painting/poster for a race. Pretty sure this is not a photo.

It looks like a well manipulated photo compost to me. I would bet that at least the kart/driver is a photo with a haze gradient applied to the kart, and a ‘painterly’ filter applied to the driver, plus some grass composited in front. If I’m wrong; mad respect to the artist!

1 Like

You are probably right but it’s tastefully done! It looks like kArt to me. It’s a nice race poster, which is an art form in itself with a rich and cool history.

1 Like

100% agreed; that is a great poster!
There were some wild psychedelic Laguna Seca race posters back in the early 70s along with the more traditional, but still awesome, styles. As a kid I had my walls plastered with them, and the posters plastered with autographs (Andretti, Stewart, McLaren, Hulme, Revson, etc…). I wish I still had those. :cry:

Here’s my Christmas K(art) entry…

Actually just the IR LED PCB for the motor timing, but hey why not… :checkered_flag:

Thats a lovely thing you made there.

On a related note, how about a Rockabilly song for Electrical Engineer Gearheads?

I’m an AC/DC man
You can read my circuit diagram
I feed on electric jolts
I need fifty-thousand volts

I’ll be a diode, cathode, electrode
Overload, generator, oscillator
Make a circuit with me

2 Likes

My sister put this on the wall of the shed in, well, 1999.

3 Likes

When we renovated our basement 8 years ago my dad let my sister and I draw on the walls because they would be covered up by wood soon. My sister drew witchcraft stuff to freak the next homeowners out, I drew about 100 little race cars

1 Like

Photos are art right?
Cars are pretty much karts?

3 Likes

Yes they are and those are artsy! Nice shots!

Thank you! I took 3000 photos so some of them were bound to be good

2 Likes

Just build a Se7en. Plenty of chassis flex if you use the orgional S1, S2 or S3 frame designs.

The formula car with the red wing looks like maybe a Ralt RT1 Formula Atlantic or some similar era (late 70s pre-ground effects). Those were very kart like, and looked very awesome to drive. Villeneuve, Rosberg, Rahal, etc. Scandinavian flicked the s**t out of those things all over North America… good times.

With apologies to WCW:

1 Like

When I get back to my computer I’ll post some more pictures where you can see what they look like

I was using my dads camera, (which I did not want to damage) and it was raining, so i did everything I could to not get a drop of water on it. I would take photos while kneeling and holding an umbrella between my knees, while trying to take a photo, but the umbrella would always fall into the photo so I ended up sitting down and holding the umbrella between my head and neck. Getting my butt soaked in the process.
Turns out the cameras waterproof and I looked like a fool for nothing

3 Likes