Kart republic Information

I’ve had both, OTK and KR, both are good, KR is a bit lighter but also softer, the KR chassis doesn’t last too long from my experience, they melt pretty rapidly, they are great for the season, great for automatic engine racing, not for KZ (Birel or Sodi are definitely the best when it come to KZs)

I definitely agree with you on turn in. It’s one thing I battled with all last year. But the braking comment is a bit surprising. I prefer the KR brakes over OTK. I find them a lot easier to find lock up point and modulate.

I struggled to find the lock up point with the brakes, but once I got used to them they’re definitely very easy to modulate. I think part of my struggle came with getting really used to more sensitive brakes over the past 3 years, so it’ll be different depending on the driver.

1 Like

I had a problem with a very hard pedal last year with my Compkart at GoPro. I told J3’s John Giacomelli, he unscrewed the brake reservoir, saw the rubber thing was pinched a bit, fixed it, screwed the cap back on, and then perfect brakes again. I believe the KR uses the same reservoir so check out the rubber thing under the cap and make sure it is not pinched or uneven.

1 Like

Can you explain what the rubber thing is? Like an o-ring seal?

1 Like

It is right under the reservoir cap. Goes between the cap and the brake fluid. Not sure how else to describe it. Part number 10 on the below page.

https://cometkartsales.com/Birel-Master-Cylinder-22SRR/

Ah yeah, that’s the seal for the cap so you’re not leaking brake fluid while driving. I pulled off the reservoir cap a couple times and the seal was never misshapen, so I don’t think that was the issue.

I have a set of blue CRG pads I got when I was running DR, and those are really soft pads from CRG which is the same that Kart Republic uses. I want to put them in and see how that changes the brakes, just to know what happens. They come with orange pads, then I believe red is softer than that, and then blue is the softest if I remember correctly.

Which brake did you have on it? They’ve had Parolin and El Zet models at different points.

We had I believe CRG brakes, or they used a CRG caliper and pad at least. I didn’t realize they’ve had different brake systems on the karts over the last 3 years.

1 Like

CRG have had a lot of different brakes too lol.

Was it this pad (1):

This pad (2):

Or this pad (3):

1 Like

The third brake pad is the one Kartsport has listed as the new brake pad

That’s the EL Zet brake pad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah, I was told it was a CRG brake, and thought it looked similar enough at a quick glance I didn’t question it. Never heard of El Zet though, do they do only brakes?

Brakes and components (hubs etc), made in Slovakia.

2 Likes

Aha, I just figured it out. At Daytona, the WPK guys needed Brake pads but didn’t have any, but they found CRG pads that fit them, which is why they thought they used CRG brakes.

1 Like

Maybe they’re running the full-wet-noodle setup because the chassis itself is too stiff for any stiffer sseat/strut/bar setup??

No, the frame is incredibly soft. Dino is a much smarter chassis designer than I, given by the fact that he’s won however many World Championships at this point, so I don’t know what he’s done with the designs to work how they do. I do know that his big thing recently has been playing with different materials at different parts of the chassis, so maybe he managed to use a stiffer type of metal for the front half of the kart while keeping the rear soft. That is also the main objective of the KR3 model as far as I can tell, but drawn out to an even larger extreme.

1 Like

You can also adjust the pick up point on the master cylinder and pedal to dial in sensitivity. It won’t help with pad bite but it will help with mechanical advantage.

I guess I’m just used to having to use more pedal pressure during braking. When I drive something with sensitive brakes my consistency drops like a rock.

1 Like

Hi all, I have two KR2s and race in Tag and 4SS (our version of lo206) here in Australia. Happy to answer any queries anyone may have.

I’ve been running KR for several years now. Best brakes on a kart I’ve ever felt, consistent and progressive.

1 Like

So for what it’s worth. When working our kr2 from OTK this was the guidance from Kartsport we were given:
The KR2 is more responsive to ride height than caster/camber changes like OTK.

Similar to race Cars they suggest jacking up the rear to add nose weight for turn-in and when track grip increases.

We were advised to set caster/camber and work off of ride height, track width and air pressure.

They don’t recommend swapping axles either.