Kart republic Information

@Sam.m1e - would like to share any insights/tips for TAG set ups.

Which tyre are you running? Iā€™m on MG Reds and MG Yellows down here.

I find the kart to work really well in tag with neutral caster and positive camber (level of positive depending on the tyre). Lowest front height and neutral rear height. Iā€™m yet to play with jacking the rear up.

The largest problem I seem to be combatting with the KR2 is with the heat we have in Australia on the last day of an event in the Final when the track grip is at itā€™s peak. It seems the hardest shortest axle I have (Zanardi Z2 1020mm), still does not give me enough release. Iā€™ve heard of other drivers and teams actually throwing the KR soft axle in with good results in these conditions. Perhaps raising the rear would help also? Would be glad to hear other thoughts on this?

I was told running the front full low and the rear full high (max forward rake) will help free it up.

2 Likes

I am thinking of getting a KR2 for Junior Rotax, while asking around KR2 users how they find the chassis some said itā€™s impossible to jack the wheel and that ride height is too low and impossible to adjust. Could you please help me understand if these are just individual perceptions? How does the chassis work if wheels donā€™t get jacked?

1 Like

I would chalk this up to individual experience. The KR2, although slightly different in design than some other karts, seems to jack and transfer weight just fine. As far as adjustability, it is pretty straightforward and similar to other chassis; unbolt the rear cassettes, position the axle accordingly, bolt it back up.

Do you have a local Kart Republic dealer that would be able to provide support?

They jack just fine.

The rear ride height is easier to adjust than most karts. You only have to take out the top rear bolt in the bearing cassette and loosen all the others as only the top bolt is indexed for ride height. The rest slide. Additionally, KRs donā€™t use seat struts, making it is even easier.

Ride height also adjusts wheelbase.

When you drop the axle to raise the ride height you also shorten the wheelbase which will also help with jackingā€¦I think.

1 Like

If you drop the axle the wheelbase stay the sameā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I would have assumed too. Unless the bolt holes go at an angle vs straight vertical.

Are you familiar with the Kart Republic chassis? The models we see here in the US are as Paul M. stated above. Itā€™s a similar design to what Dino Chiesa also had on the Zanardi chassis for years.

1 Like

It marginally shortens the wheelbase, but not to the amount that it actually affects anything. Weā€™re talking about millimeters of difference on the kart wheelbase length.

The Kart Republic chassisā€™ adjust ride height by rotating around a point on the cassette carrier mount. It is at the top of the front part of the carrier. It will bring the axle slightly forward on the frame as you move them down. Paul is correct in his understanding of the Kart Republic ride height adjustment, this isnā€™t your Tony Kart weā€™re talking about hereā€¦

While the impact may not be large, Iā€™d suspect they see benefit in the compounding affect of adjusting wheelbase and ride height simultaneously. It makes sense to me that high ride height and short wheelbase would go hand in hand.

1 Like

Here is what it looks like.

2 Likes

You can also rotate the cassette 180* to shorten the wheelbase by a large amount. But everyone Iā€™ve talked to has said they donā€™t mess with it. Just leave it long wheelbase.

1 Like

Very interesting. The 3 ride height locating holes could be a radial pattern which could keep the wheel base constant regardless of rear ride height.

1 Like

Thanks
Now im sure that you can drop or raise the axle without changing the wheelbaseā€¦

Iā€™m sorry, what? Do you not see how the cassette moves slightly forward and back when raising and lowering the axle? Itā€™s very minimal, like I said we are talking about millimeters of change, but it is still adjusting the wheelbase.

1 Like

OK who has a dial gauge and a KR. Iā€™m curious to see how much the wheelbase changes.

1 Like

Iā€™ll see if I can get a rough measurement this weekend, I donā€™t have a dial gauge but I can get something figured out

Use your headā€¦
You can drop the axle without changing the wheelbase
Itā€™s not because you can rotate the cassette that is the only way to do itā€¦

When you raise the ride height at the front you lengthen the wheelbase so doing both ends leaves wheelbase the same.
It also effectively shifts the seat backwards which 'severly ā€™ affects the handling of the kart. I thinkā€¦

1 Like