Kart Vinyl

Wow. Their prices seem pretty reasonable. Nice color choices too. Chrome colors!? Cool!

Curious to hear what Kart Davidā€™s prices are, as Iā€™ve heard good things about them.

The price I paid from Jake Designs was broken up into a design fee and then the cost of the actually making it:

Design Fee: Ā£51 (About $79 USD)
Cost to have it made: Ā£129 (About $189 USD)

$189 isnā€™t bad as it included the shipping across the pond from Europe to the US. Hopefully if I order from them again, I donā€™t have to pay the design fee over again so long as I go with the same design.

Thatā€™s less than an already made DR sticker kitā€¦

Wow, really, wasnā€™t aware of that. :+1:

$250
20 characters 1

Iā€™m a beginner to say the least and I had this kart built. Iā€™m thinking about having wrapped solid silver to match my pickup and then go from there. You guys have any thoughts?

1 Like

Should be cool! 20 characters

Sounds like fun. Donā€™t see metallic colors often.

Silver Bullet! (20 Characters)

My wife got a cricut cutter for her business. Iā€™m a designer so I went to town with some white vinyl. Inspired by Red Bullā€™s winter test livery from a few years ago. Very tedious applicationā€¦. Donā€™t know how itā€™ll hold up on the trackā€¦ but it looks fun for now :joy:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Mule kart!

Cricut for the win! I did the same thing with my wifeā€™s Cricut (albeit a much simpler design).

3 Likes

Questionsā€¦When you guys the machine to cut out your vinyl, is each color separate and then you combine it during application? Also, do you add a exterior layer of clear vinyl to protect the design and keep it from peeling or getting marked up?

So my numbers are ā€œprintable vinylā€ with a layer of clear protective lamination applied to the top. My white design is all ā€œpermanent vinyl.ā€ That is just white vinyl that is supposed to hold up to outdoor use. We will see if that includes rubbing tiresā€¦

I did numbers in the permanent vinyl last year and they held up fine, no peeling. But obviously they were a lot less intricate. Iā€™m a little worried about the tiny little pin-stripping sized areas peeling off with contact.

Hey Greg,

You usually use a base color and then print colors on top. If you have a large printer you just print everything in one file (including the numbers). Here is a print for the showdown race at PKRA. A play on the movie Raising Arizona and the rising sun livery.

This was a black base and color on top

1 Like

I do not own a printer. Only a vinyl cutter. Mine is individual cut colors (hence the limitations in design intricacy). For comparison to above, my numbers are black permanent vinyl layered on top of white permanent vinyl.

1 Like

A couple of years ago, I tried my hand at printing Number Panels and Name Panels on printable vinyl. It was the kind you get at Office Supply store for labels. I had read that most home inkjet printers were prone to smearing on multi-color print jobs when doing large color coverage and burned through ink very quickly. I have access to a laser printer at work and decided to use it instead. They came out okay. There was some coverage consistency issues in a few spots for the yellow-gold background on the number panels. The name panels looked great (less color coverage). I wish I had thought of covering them with a clear vinyl. I found after a couple of races the ink was getting smeared from contact with tires. I think a different vinyl would do better as well.

I have to show my parents this. Their all time favorite movie

As a Gen Xer like your folks I concur that Raising Arizona was a cultural watershed moment. Back to kartingā€¦

How much for the graphics