KartPulse KartKraft Throwdown Season 1

@Muskabeatz Got into the .8’s. Found a better way to exit the jughandle and making improvements on S2 divebomb bit to set up the uphill. Also, it would appear that it is ok, preferable even, to modulate a little on way up.

S1: 14.824 :neutral_face:
S2: 19.705 :grinning:
S3: 5.363 :grinning:
1 Like

Awesome lap! I’ll have to try that type of approach into the double right in S2.

I like pizza cat

I’d love to see the ghost of the guy who did s2 in 19.00. How does he find an extra half second? Or is that a cut?

Getting on the board in KZ

S1: 14.161
S2: 18.794
S3: 5.376

Again, blown away by how subtle the KZ is. Even in sim, these are hard work and I had to turn the FFB down quite a bit. I’m messy still, but I think I can go sub 38 without huge difficulty. The line is not that different, but throttle application and braking sure is.

You know, when I run a KZ setup, the engine doesn’t “scream” like it does in your video. I mean, it sounds like it’s almost partly at idle. The pitch increases as throttle is applied, but it still has an idling sound characteristic instead of sounding like it’s revving up. Is there a tuning setup I’m missing?

Nice lap BTW. Best I could manage on GVKC was a 46:52 in KZ, my only excuse being I’m using a thumb controller. Oh well. I’ll be happy to get the engine sounding/running better than it currently does.

That’s weird. Can you show me? Are you able to record it, even with a potato, so I can hear/see?
I’ll try to reproduce.

Controller takes a session or two to start to figure out. But, it works very well and isn’t impossible like in some other games.

First off, are you shifting or auto? Do you have clutch assigned? Is it actually shifting properly? Please try AUTO clutch. Just to see if works. You’ll not that I dont have it assigned and the clutch happens on auto fine.

Here is my inputs. When you are on this screen and you depress pedals, does throttle go all the way as shown here?

Here is XBOX controller preset:

Inputs: Pedals: Is throttle max 100%?

Is there a control panel you can look at to see if inputs are behaving in control panel? In my fanatec control panel, it shows controller.

Day 3, optimal now 37.88. On my way.

S1: 14.026
S2: 19.082
S3: 5.163

Solid all around, but S1 and S2 are a touch slower than I’d like.
S1 requires a 13.X, S2 needs to be 18.x and S3 is on point here. I have ran many 5.1X S3 but have yet to see anything 4.9X.

My optimal dropped to 37.88 which means I have massive room for improvement.

I moved the PC into the living room so it’s a gaming thing now. No wheel hooked up but gave KK a go with the Xbox controller for a while. First time since feb 19 actually.

Very fun. I can’t control it how I’d like, but it’s still very fun. Kart seems more stable than when I tried this a year ago, so that’s nice.

Big improvements in the last year. You’ll find that the kerbs don’t flip you anymore (unless you deserve it).

1 Like

Moving day continues…

S1: 14.027:neutral_face:
S2: 18.828:grinning:
S3: 5.346:grimacing:

Up we go again, but falling short of what I can do. My optimal keeps dropping, so its a matter of time. Been having a ball, though.

Here we go again

S1: 13.956:slightly_smiling_face:
S2: 18.918:slightly_smiling_face:
S3: 5.185:smile:

All 3 solid. Can do better all around, but I am content. I answered my question about whether we could go faster than 5.1X in S3 as well. I landed a clean 5.083.

I’m sorry I’m posting so many laps today. I am in the hunt for #1 and its working. I might be able to give Ol’ Mr. Sheenu a run for global 2. He’s very quick, though.

I’m shifting manually. Just figured out that the triggers were only going to ~65%, & so the throttle was never going full open. I recalibrated them (via XBox controller app), then did a sub 43 sec GVKC lap immediately afterwards. Now I need to practice with it some more. And while the controller works, it feels clumsy. I really need (want) a wheel.

Ah ok. If you have the fancy Xbox controller the triggers have a switch to limit the throw.

This used to drive me nuts in Destiny. It took me a bit to figure out why my space bike wouldn’t go full speed either.

A dubious accomplishment:

I think I like KartKraft :smile:

1 Like

Would be really interesting to see IRL stats like this. But alas, we don’t have the data.

There is a sufficiently obsessive compulsive karter, no doubt, who has logged everything and has the data. :grinning:

Podium

This one was a bit unexpected. I recognized in-lap that it was possible that this one could be “it”, but,
then again, so many have. Usually I crack, but this time, I wasn’t afraid to be a bit afraid. I was willing to lift, to go off-line, to do whatever it took to keep the momentum going in the right direction. The lap is a little nuts in places, but it worked. I did not try to force perfection.

My goal was to break 38, but I was not expecting to pierce it quite so decisively. A monstrously hooked up final turn sealed the deal, in a 3/3 all sectors green lap.

I heard and listened to what @Muskabeatz had said about throttle, that with a shifter kart, being thoughtful about how you feed in power yields big dividends. I have been working on that, feeling how the power changes the state of the kart, as throttle grows and fades.

In the shifter, it’s like the front and the rear are two different vehicles, pivoting around you. The kart can be asked to do incredible things, and it complies. Gentle pressure on the brakes begins a rotation that you can catch and then redirect. Lift a little, at the right moment, and you can have the front begin the next turn before the back has finished the last.

You can V the hell out of these machines, but I like the way they can be slippery fast, too. They are so versatile, and it guts me to think I’ll never, ever drive one IRL like I can do here. That honor, we shall leave to you, @Muskabeatz.

Thanks for challenging me. It was interesting to see how things have changed 1600 hours in, as opposed to when this all began with TJ’s original challenge. I have since learned a TON and have really enjoyed this.

Thanks folks, and best of luck to all of you and your families in this trying time.

1 Like

You should be a dev. Or sponsored. Or something

That’s the thing. Tires are free. :smile: Thanks for the kind words!

I’d like to think I’m reverse sponsoring KartKraft. I publish what I do because the game rocks and I’d like to see it succeed.
There’s not enough folks playing it yet, consistently. Maybe some folks get inspired and pick up the game, and hopefully get as obsessed as I am.

While it’s good for my ego to be able to climb the leaderboard, it’s relatively small (leaderboard, not ego :grinning:). For example, on GVKC in KZ I am #1 of only 100 times in the USA. Global I have no idea how many people I am competing against. But, compared to forza etc, it’s tiny.

That being said, there are some fine karters in here. I have been impressed with Tanguy, Sheenu, Eric, Zycos (no actual real seat time, ever) and Evan, amongst others.

Also, the discord is a generally pretty decent community and folks are generally pretty helpful. For the most part, the kids (and adults) are well behaved. :grinning:

1 Like

Those of you using a Fanatec wheel, what are your wheel settings? Mine has a massive dead spot right in the middle that makes it feel like I’m driving a wagon. I’m having a hell of a time just keeping the kart on the track.