KartPulse KartKraft Throwdown Season 1

Well I would suggest something between purple and green. You are now doing something between yellow and green, not so accurate on the initial line drawing.

Yes, but you know the best how the kart behaves if you are braking too late on that corner. I would definitely suggest you to brake somewhere at the beginning of that curb, instead a kart length earlier. But not too late, it will just send you wide and you will miss the apex. And I think sticking to the brake is good. I don´t think lifting can do the job, it will just overload the front and cause more understeer as you go faster into the turn.

I was skeptical about this as well. While writing that, I think I did not really include that bit of extra speed carried through the corner. You will figure this out on your own if you decide to try something new, don´t think I can help with that much more.

So it all comes down to something similar you tried in final but I think it can be more efficient if you prepare the corner from the very beginning, a bit better. It could save some time immediately as a result of later braking and (maybe) better overall stability as well as speed carried out of the corner as you got the load on the right ready.

Thanks Pavle. I will definitely try out widening the approach and trying the purple line. I guess its a matter of delaying the turn in a bit.I’ll try the later brake as well. I’ll try the kerb but my recollection is that it gets very bumpy. With luck, I should be on track Saturday.

Great! I hope it can help a bit.

Just a quick off topic question. Did you ever race these rentals in rain? Do they even let you drive while it is raining? Curious to know, they don´t let us drive if it is wet so I was wondering what do they do about it on your track.

Nope. I have raced in rain however in non-rentals.

Rain is interesting in that there’s variance in grip across the track. So, it’s unlike normal driving in that some parts of track will be grippier than others and you gotta find the least worst line. The track isn’t equally “wet”.

It’s said that generally driving off the racing line in braking areas is a good idea. The accumulated rubber is very slippery. So, people do interesting lines to avoid braking or accelerating on the wet rubber parts.

All I know is try to be the guy that spins the least, and you have a shot at winning the race.

Ok here’s the turn we discussed, redone. You were correct about taking all of the kerb and the other things. I don’t know about the braking. I think I’m braking later than what you are showing, past the lines.
Whatcha think?

The 2nd heat. Long race, 20ish laps. Nice battle in there, and I really hustle the heck out of the kart in the final 3 laps after I get by the fella I was battling. This give and take starts at 5:15 and we trade places until 12:11.

I did not have the time to take third. I attempted to hold onto my momentum exiting the final 2 into 3 complex and lost some speed colliding into third place kart. I should have held off and tried to take him in 4 or 5 instead. Its situations like this that you appreciate how all those seconds spent battling, matter.

I would love to feel this, but I doubt they will let us drive when it is raining. Maybe we get some semi-wet race next year in the league, it could be fun to try!

T1. I think it is working. I like how you fail first 2-3 times and from one point you just nail it! It looks better to be honest. Only by comparing new and old, you can see the old one was a bit ahead on the right kerb (preparation) and even with slight advantage in top speed it seems like the new line is ahead a meter or so (at the exit). With just a bit more practice I think you will master this. Later braking helps I think, it forces you to use all the kerb you can and using all of it sends you wide nicely at the exit. After you get used to that speed, you should stop oversteering (happened only once or twice, not a major problem at the end, but even that will fix it self) and you should hit it perfectly more often as you get used to it. Not sure if the laps you did during that race were good but I think looking at the last few laps where you managed to complete few fast ones with no one to interrupt you, you did pretty good! In that 45.505s, you nailed T1 even with a solid bump at the exit. How do you feel about T1? I think that is more important, your opinion. To me, as I said, it looks better, with my racing glasses on. But realistically it could actually be slower or hurting tyres, not sure. What you have to say? Any interesting detail? :slightly_smiling_face:

It was great racing looking at the whole event, looked like a blast. And that contact at 12:11 was a classic, neither of you wanted to let go, that is racing! Unfortunately he spun or lost a load of momentum but it was just pure racing. You had pretty solid pace, slowly building it up to the end. Great!

Ah, you watched Heat 1 then? Yah that was fun. The first attempt was… wide!

I am, in retrospect, really proud of the last three laps where I drop down to 45.5. Once I got free from the fellow I had been banging bumpers with, I was able to put some good laps together. In addition to making big improvement in T1, I also made big progress on T2 and T3. I was getting very nice runs through there with a wider entry and later apexes. I also was pretty happy with how 4 was going, mostly. So, Yeah, a success. The 45.5 was a darn fast lap for pokey lil #14, in my opinion. I felt “on” it. I don’t know what the others would have run in same kart.

I think you were correct! I like this way better. It does feel like you end up further down the track. The kerb is necessary for this to work out. It really doesn’t upset you like I feared. The wider/later entry feels good too.
What I did not really try was getting more on the paint on the approach. Im still barely on it. I’ll try that next time. The other thing I did not think too much about was braking. I just let it happen and focused on line and entry speed. I can’t really tell in the video where I am braking.

So, your analysis appears to have been correct! As of now, the best I have done was a low of 29 mph, which is matched by the old turn. But this version seems to spend less time in the low part of the turn. And, I can likely do it faster.

Thank you! :checkered_flag::100::golfing_man:

I don’t know if you could tell but at the start of heat 1 I didn’t know what to do, so I just followed the guy in front of me, assuming it was a formation lap. Then a guy tried to pass me exiting 3 and I realized that the race had already started. :grinning:

Not proud of the contact. It’s my fault that I was so greedy with my momentum. I misjudged and instead of him getting a lovetap like every other time, he got tangled up, and I basically punted him.

I was trying to not give up too much momentum in passing. So, since these karts are caged, I have been trying to be a little more forceful with folks I’m racing against. I’m not trying to shove anyone off but I am trying to make them have an “Oh, someone is right on my butt!” moment. I am trying to apply pressure and not give up momentum too readily.

In this case, I misjudged totally. And, he braked or something. So, my driver’s excuse is; “He Braked!”. The real reason it happened is I got greedy and careless.

Terence Dove vid on rain driving:

Good, good! Sounds positive!

Even better. You are figuring it out on your own. It is much more effective than me just drawing line. Great to see and improvement, glad it helped a bit!

About the contact. It looked to me that you were both pretty unaware of each other, in the way that you were too aggressive and he did not count on you so both could, lets say, avoid it. But it is truth that the driver behind is always to blame in these situations so yeah, I guess this one is on to you but nothing major. But nothing spectacular of course.

Started playing again the past couple days. Nice to see the customization added, as well as more tuning options. The physics are again better but it still feels slightly off in some cases. I can’t help but feel there’s too much understeer initially and then the kart rotates quite aggressively around apex, especially with any amount of throttle input. There is a sweet spot in there, where you can hit the turn-in without much understeer and really roll the throttle and it truly feels like a real kart, but that limit is hard to find without access to some of your tactile senses. Braking has gotten infinitely better. Very fun and easy to lock up and throw the kart around without losing control.

Playing around a lot with the tuning options. Some aren’t making a ton of sense compared to what I know they do in reality, but it’s fun to be able to run a few laps, quickly make a change and go back and try it right away. Very difficult to find an ideal balance though in the handling. If I add caster, it feels like it turns in good, but then over-rotates really easily at apex. If I run with less caster, the thing pushes like a truck from turn-in to exit. Some karts are better than others. I think the degree that you need to adjust things in is very small. I’ve been tinkering with 0.5-1 degree changes in caster and it’s very noticeable, especially at apex.

The 16 player AI races are insanity. Loving those. Still haven’t given KZ a proper go since my sequential shifter isn’t working with the game. That will be a blast once I get that figured out.

1 Like

Nice review. I am looking forwards to trying the 16 kart multiplayer. I wonder how many times the ai will murder me.

I agree that the braking has gotten much better. The brakes on the KZ act much better imo than the x30 iteration.

The chassis are waaaaay too flexy in this build imo. There is no reason for the chassis to get death wobbles at speed. Also, the fact that the nosecone doesn’t have any give currently makes even a blade of grass a potential wall.

I really do hope they step up the helmet paint and suit and livery options.

I know it’s a little thing but I’d really like a cool outfit/paint in game. It would be neat if they had something like that suit builder you used when you designed my Torq suit.

Yeah I was getting the same oscillations at AMP on that same corner you posted your video about, driving the CRG in X30. Not bad enough to make me crash but it was wobbling a little through there for sure. I don’t know what is causing that effect.

The nosecone thing is slightly annoying. Even a pretty small bump on the kart in front in a corner results in you getting sideways.

I’m guessing they won’t release too many color options for the gear/karts, but will instead probably just allow open customization with templates, like iRacing or Kart Racer Pro did. That’s what a lot of these kinds of games do.

X30 is why, likely. The KZ gets wonky in 2 very high speed places that involve big lateral forces. Exit of complex at top of hill and sweeper to close.

Just for fun I’ll take the x30 out in a bit and see if it’s more behaved. Maybe time to go get back my PFI x30 push.

Did 20 laps with the x30 at AMP. Yep, the x30 frame is basically fine since it’s slower. It oscillates a bit but nothing dramatic.

Gosh, the brakes stink in x30 (relative to the KZ). Had forgotten how much front brakes help!

Mild improvement. Nowhere near what I can run according to optimals. But, I’m getting faster all around. I can be fast, fast now.

Here’s a surprisingly quick outlap:

And here’s a slightly faster lap:

EDIT: Hey-Ho. Up a spot. No footage.

Something changed. Prior to this lap I ran a dirty lap of similar time just a few laps in. My first 5 laps were very sharp and then the 44s started coming. The 3rd one stuck.

EDIT: Mixing it up since I am now solidly under 45 at AMP… Some x30 PFI for old times sake.

I am alive lol. How are things going? Any new tracks that you are mastering?

Hey, get back to work! :joy:. I’ll pm ya

Anybody know when they’ll have the console version available? I’m on PS4 and would love to add this to my F1 racing.

@mlgmq7 Short answer: someday
Their original plan was console release this year but pushed back. Still working on multiplayer. That should come in test form (no collision) this month.

1 Like

Ok, so my new goal is to go sub 56 at PFI inX30. I was very, very close a few months back at 56.1s. Then, they changed tire model and I moved onto the newly released KZ.

Well, now the KZ is screwed up, so back to x30. It was nice to see that I could get back to speed quickly. What I learned last time, I absorbed. I think taking a long break allows me to see the track newly but also differently. I am “freer” in my approach and far more competent.

Anyways, I just shaved off a tenth or so and edged closer to the goal. Here ya go…

Correct Splits:
S1: 19.123
S2: 20.900
S3: 16.266

The amount of steering input you use is nuts to me, but I can’t argue with the results! I’m not sure what my lap was at PFI, but it was in the mid 56s maybe? And my steering inputs look more like a real kart.

I also couldn’t drag the CRG around that quick, even after trying dozens of setup changes, and found the Praga to be more to my liking.

I saw a video of someone who steers like this in a real kart. Thought maybe it was to help scrub speed into the corner while being smooth on the exit. They were quite fast, but it looked like something that would be very unnatural.

1 Like