Let's talk about Seat Position

Anyone got the dpe/arrow seat chart saved from earlier on the thread, I need to mount a new seat too my x1e before the weekend and the dpe website is down for maintenance

1 Like

Hey @Whiterhino14

Would you mind updating your profile to include your full name?

I think the file you are looking for is in this topic: Post Links to Chassis Setup Guides Here

Ok, first I promise I am going to read this while topic, but I haven’t finished it yet as there is a lot here so please forgive me if this is answered already.

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a deeper seat? From my earlier topic I do think I could do with being a bit further rearward in my kart, however my seat is almost as far back as my mounting holes allow. If I was going to go to the effort of buying a new seat, it might make sense to buy something deeper dimensionally.

I have stumbled across “Deep Seat” by Koyen in WI (Wisonsin?) USA. Anybody used one? I haven’t so far found any measurements that show the Tillet etc etc depths.

1 Like

Let’s step back for a moment. What is the problem you need to solve with the kart…

Are you unable to get the kart to scale F/R weight distribution wise?
Are you a particularly large, or small driver?

1 Like

I’m 6’4", not hugely tall but tall enough. I feel ok in my kart but still a bit scrunched up.

1 Like

Oh, what you need is a porch extension for your kart so you can stretch your legs out and get the seat where it needs to be.

I believe @Ty_Schlorer had one on his arrow at some point.

1 Like

I’d recommend checking with KartsportNA.com to see if they’ve got a porch extension kit for your Arrow. I have one on my X-3 and it helps a lot. I ran a Deep Seat for 10plus years. I liked it, it was very comfortable for me. However it was quite stiff and heavier than my current Tillett seat. I’d bet that my chassis was a bit bound up because of how stiff the seat was.

3 Likes

I found this on the website:

But I can’t seem to find the match IngI upper crash bar and floor tray.

What other parts do I need?

1 Like

Your upper bumper bar should work. You’ll need the floor pan extension, hardware, and longer brake rod. The hardware, if I remember correctly, was bolts to attach the pan and some spacers for the pedals. I think they used to offer everything as a kit though.

1 Like

The DeepSeat (my dad is the owner) is more designed to protect your ribs and spread load out over your torso and eliminate pressure points, not really to get the driver sat back further.

6’4" is tall for karting. As Ty and James said, a front porch will probably sort your issues. However, Tillett does make some specific models of seat that have a wider angle for taller drivers, so you end up sitting more leaned back. That might be something to look into as well.

3 Likes

Thanks TJ, that’s really useful information.

I am asking a few suppliers currently whether they can supply the front porch. I may have found a good deal locally on a kit being sold as a “closeout” item. I’ll update if/when it comes through.

1 Like

Would like some advice for my son’s kart. Tony kart stvk. He’s 4’8" and 95 pounds. I have the seat height at the middle of the frame rails and it scales at 43f/57r. 310 lbs. It’s not jacking the inside wheel in corners. I tried raising rear ride height and seat struts but it still sits flat in corners. I’m going to try removing the front bar tomorrow and see if that helps. Any advice? Raise the seat higher?

1 Like

How is the kart actually handling and how do the tires look. You don’t always have to obviously visually lift the wheel, rather you’re looking to unload it.

Like anything other stopwatch has final say. Broadly speaking you add caster or front track width for entry to apex and control the unloading from apex to exit with the rear track width.

1 Like

Tend to agree with James. What tire are you on? I’m assuming something harder if you’re running an STVK. On a harder tire, a kart isn’t going to jack weight like it will on a softer tire. If your weight distribution is as it should be, and it sounds like it is, then I wouldn’t worry too much if your pace is fine.

On the harder tire you’re not necessarily going to see it truly lift the inside rear, sometimes just getting the tire light enough that it isn’t scrubbing is all you can do. But if you need more jacking, a stiffer front bar or adding caster will both achieve that. It’s pretty much guaranteed to lift if you add caster and stiffen that front bar.

That sounds like the seat is set quite low for someone so small? I’m not giving advice, more looking at what people think. I’ve seen kart set ups whilst I’ve been researching that had small drivers spaced way up high.

I think James and TJ are providing great actual advice though. I’m just learning and find different approaches interesting.

3 Likes

I’m curious about that too. I probably should raise the seat some more, but how do I know when it’s too high?

You’ll find your driver will be chasing the rear as the inside wheel unloads excessively, perhaps even to the point that the outside tire isn’t sitting square on the track.

Before you change anything, be clear on the problem you want to fix? Is it on exit, or entry. Perhaps both. But either way, figure that out and make changes accordingly.

Also… are you sure the chassis is square?

Since it’s been quiet for three days in this thread, I dare to ask a new question.

In my experience, normally placing your seat forward means more grip to the front wheels, means less understeer. But I read somewhere that Australian racer Col Fink from Kracer mentioned that (in certain cases?) you should do the opposite: put the seat back when experiencing understeer and the other way around.

The basis of this theory (out of my head, because I cannot find the original article) is: when you are understeering you already ask too much from your front tyres, so by placing the seat forward you put even more pressure on the front tyres making the understeer worse.

Can you guys enlighten me when Col’s theory works? Or is my experienced skewed from spending too much time in rental karts? Normally the only thing you can adjust in a rental kart is the seat position, so that’s why the answer to this question is so essential for rental karting.

I think the best way to figure this out is to test, ideally with a tire temp data logger…move the seat back and forth and note how the tires heat up and fade over multiple tests to see if there is a certain ‘tipping point’ where you simply exceed the load limit of the tire.

It makes sense from a race car standpoint…but when you factor in that the chassis ‘hikes’ and flexes, I’m a bit more skeptical. However,_ the fact that karts can hop or bind on corner exit does suggest that there is a lot more at play with all of these factors than we may understand…or rather than I currently understand.

My suspicion is that this might be a possibility with heavier drivers in particular, or with taller drivers, as they tend to ‘roll’ the chassis more around the front tires.

The more I think about this, the more intrigued I am to hear other’s thoughts!

It’s like any adjusment, you just reach a point of diminishing returns. Of you’re already close to that point before making the adjustment… then it might make the situation you’re trying to remedy, worse